News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

King Charlotte - Brad Lamb

carturo15

Member Bio
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this unit? it is 763 sq ft, 2 beds 1 bath. The unit that I am looking at is on the 2nd floor (7 mts above the ground floor) with a big terrace 17'x33', so 561 sq ft terrace. Gas on kitchen and terrace for bbq. The unit will have nice windows, however it will not have any view, there is building on the north side and a small parking lot on the east side. Price is $459k so $600 per sq ft. the big bonus is a 561 sq ft terrace on King & Spadina. thoughts?

http://www.kingcharlotte.com/pdf/Charlotte_Marilyn.pdf

I wouldn't buy it for me... but thats just me. I don't want to be on the 2nd floor. Besides at that price you can buy a 763 sqft unit o the 2nd floor of lots of already constructed buildings.

While I wouldn't buy it for myself either, I'm optimistic about this building and location, location, location will prevail over the negatives.

With that in mind, what it lacks in terms of view that huge terrace at least isn't facing a street but just buildings (office buildings? or facing the parking lot which is even better?) so during the evenings it is somewhat private and is great for entertaining that's easily accessible by both the King and Spadina streetcars. This area of King West is King-Spadina central, close to downtown central, and not far west like Shaw is so you can avoid rush hour on the King streetcar. For what it may lack, it kills in terms of location, transportation, and nearby amenities.

I think the windows on the north are well thought out and there are a lot of things you can do with the floor plan. I don't find the floor plans in this building to be amazing, but I think the location trumps that. The only issue with this one is that you pretty much have to meld the living and kitchen together. No chance of separation. But some interesting things could be done in the corner by the window (round dining table?) and the wall by the bedroom. For what the challenges may be, I think it could end up being a unique unit.

What do you guys think about this unit? it is 763 sq ft, 2 beds 1 bath. The unit that I am looking at is on the 2nd floor (7 mts above the ground floor) with a big terrace 17'x33', so 561 sq ft terrace. Gas on kitchen and terrace for bbq. The unit will have nice windows, however it will not have any view, there is building on the north side and a small parking lot on the east side. Price is $459k so $600 per sq ft. the big bonus is a 561 sq ft terrace on King & Spadina. thoughts?

http://www.kingcharlotte.com/pdf/Charlotte_Marilyn.pdf

Its a compact 2-bed as good as it is going to get and the terrace is unique. My only concern is that if you have ever have to unload it quick, that 2nd floor option looking in that direction with not much sunlight is going to be a real show stopper for interested buyers at any price. If you have the capacity to wait out any market turndowns, then not a bad option but the kitchen should be expanded and the main hall closet could be extended or a built-in of some kind.

Is this building design even approved? I head there were issues with the distance from the property line...

bedroom 1 - too small but good closet space
bedroom 2 - adequate size and good amount of closet space
kitchen - completely cuts into available wall space for the LR ... leaves < 6 feet of space until window.
if one was to put an entertainment unit /TV/etc there, it would make sofa / LR furniture placement very awkward since column is also at the corner.

IMO, it's not a good layout.
it would have been wiser to put the kitchen along the bedroom 2 wall and sacrifice 2 feet of entry closet, leaving a much more open and usable LR/DR.

no, not a wise purchase.
The large terrace is nice, but it's facing a property that is ripe for development and it's facing north which will be fairly dark (even darker with less privacy once another building gets built next door). This unit will especially feel depressing in the winter season.
Also having a terrace at the base of the building means you will get all kinds of dirt and debris falling on to your outdoor space (cigarette butts and possibly dropped glasses/bottles from the balconies above). It doesn't have much of a kitchen with hardly any counterspace and the location of the kitchen is right in the middle of the living/dining room, which makes furniture arrangement a little difficult. I would like to see the kitchen off to one side, or even have the counterspace/cabinets continue towards the window wall to the right.
$459,000 is a little high given the low floor, mediocre layout and views, terrace or not. I agree you can get so much more value in resale.
Location is excellent, the building is nicely designed, but the unit doesn't have enough going for it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I was just curious, for a unit like this, I would imagine the entertainment system would go againt the bedroom two wall. If this is true, then would'nt the couch end up beside the kithen sink and fridge? Is this normal? Does anyone have an actual picture of a living room/kitchen that is like this? This way I can see how the furniture should be placed.

Thanks

The terrace thing is what would make this an interesting unit, but that living / dining / kitchen space ... it's very long and narrow, with the kitchen area smack in the middle of the whole narrow space, very hard to visualize furniture placement. Also, there's those 2 columns, which further complicate furniture placement ... you'd have to consider removing that second bedroom to incorporate it into the living room or something. This shouldn't have been marketed as a 2 bdrm, more of a unique one bedroom.

swap the LR and Bedroom 2 and it'll be a great space. the bedroom will be a tad small, maybe shift the kitchen layout and add an island. the new LR will be great

Back