News   Apr 24, 2024
 885     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 557     0 

Best Places to Watch Fireworks in Toronto

Arob

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where to Watch Victoria Day Fireworks in Toronto?

Where are the best places downtown to watch the Victoria Day fireworks ?

The parks are always crowded and no parking spots and no empty bike posts and traffic...

The fireworks happen out over Lake Ontario, in a few different places so its possible there's some great secret spots to watch the show...

I'm looking for unusual angles and places with perfect vantage points

fireworks.jpg

Any cool flat roofs, or inclined roofs, or licensed roof top patios that you know afford an excellent view?

somewhere traffic and parking is not a problem

where would you take a special person, or a camera crew to shoot the Victoria Day fireworks in Toronto?

Last edited:
You could check out the Manulife martini bar, I think it's called Panorama Lounge or something like that. Go to where the Varsity cinemas are (in the Manulife Centre) and hang a left down the hall (follow the sign) then take the elevator to the top. Depending on the weather conditions your not likely to hear the fireworks but you'll get a great view of the show at Ontario Place and out at the Beach. Not sure if some of the newer buildings like Casa might block the east view, it's been a few years since I've been up there.
I think you can still buy tickets for the pod-roof area at Ontario Place but that can get pricey because you also have to pay admission I believe, but there is no better view of the fireworks unless your in a boat on the lake.
Another option which is probably better in the summer when it's warmer is to check out the fireworks competition from Hanlan's Point beach. Take a blanket for the beach, a bottle of wine, some food and your in for a stunning view, you can feel some of the explosions underneath in the sand. The downside is you have to grab everything and run from the beach to catch the last ferry from Hanlan's Point to the city as soon as the fireworks are over or else your stuck walking around to the Centre Island dock to catch the last ferry from there. I'm getting too old for that!
When I go to the fireworks now we cycle to Ontario Place and go about 1/4 mile west of there right along the lake/bike path. The lighting is minimal so it doesn't interfere with viewing the fireworks and it's close enough to get the big bangs. I find that cycling to the Beach (pretty much the same distance from where I live) to be busier and more congested to get there so I choose Ontario Place.

Thanks

Thanks Toronto-Geek
There's some great tips there. I was thinking the beach would be okay, unless its a cold night, except its not licensed

Thanks Toronto-Geek
There's some great tips there. I was thinking the beach would be okay, unless its a cold night, except its not licensed

To get to and from the Beach area when there are fireworks is a nightmare, whether your driving (good luck finding parking), TTC'ing it on the Queen car or even cycling. If you absolutely must go down there take the Gerrard/Carlton streetcar, get off at Woodbine or Coxwell and then walk from there, you'll save yourself a whole lot of grief. Ontario Place can be challenging too but it's an area designed for tons of vehicles, parking and traffic of all kinds so it all moves during big events, the Beach area doesn't.

argg, I still remember the day when Toronto actually had good fireworks. Thanks to Benson and Hedges.

Now I have to say with all honesty we have the worst fireworks in the country. I've seen better fireworks in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and way way way better fireworks throughout Quebec (multiple venues).

It's true, our fireworks aren't great. Back in the 80's when Benson & Hedges started the competition they did it over six nights (twice a week) and the seventh was the finale - that was half a summer of fireworks! They went on longer then too, a good 25 minutes choreographed with music simulcast through one of the FM stations and also played through speakers around Ontario Place. They were good until about the mid 90's, they've gone down hill ever since but they're still a big attraction.

One underrated urban-grit locale for Ontario Place firework-watching: the Wallace pedestrian bridge--so underrated, you might only have a handful of hipsters around you...

great stuff guys... but what about...?

What about the new condo buildings ? Which of the new condominium bldg constructions offers the best view? I only ask because its my intention to videotape the event this year for a multimedia piece I'm working on.

It's true, our fireworks aren't great. Back in the 80's when Benson & Hedges started the competition they did it over six nights (twice a week) and the seventh was the finale - that was half a summer of fireworks! They went on longer then too, a good 25 minutes choreographed with music simulcast through one of the FM stations and also played through speakers around Ontario Place. They were good until about the mid 90's, they've gone down hill ever since but they're still a big attraction.

Is it but I wish they we could improve them. I was in montreal once - it was crazy the fireworks they had!! I don't remember what it was for but it was an absolute spectalur display that could be seen throughout the city ... it was that massive ! I think it was the 'birth of the universe' or what not, the theme what not. Not sure if they do something to that scale every year though.

I had hopes the ones at Ontario place would turn out to be something larger, but every year they seem similar - they don't improve too much.

Fireworks at Ontario Place used to truly be a summer highlight for me, I love them. They've become so depressingly mediocre that I only cycle down once or twice now, usually on Pride weekend to get out of the nabe for a few hours. The last great fireworks display Toronto saw was on New Years Eve 1999. Four barges were used for fireworks (vs. one barge for the Ontario Place display), another two barges for laser effects, eleven lighting canons on the Island plus Mel lit up the CN tower like a sprinkler - all using 28 tonnes of fireworks. The 30 second finale blew off nearly 1000 firework shells alone, it was so spectacular.

What about the new condo buildings ? Which of the new condominium bldg constructions offers the best view? I only ask because its my intention to videotape the event this year for a multimedia piece I'm working on.

500 Penthouses will be located in King Street West which is one of the most attractive neighborhood. As future resident you will be surrounded by the best of bars, clubs, lounges and restaurants. Also the Financial District is not too far. As Investor the condo market at King Street West is highly attractive and new condos projects as M5V, Charlie Condo or Fashion House are all set to be a platinum address.

Back