News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 700     0 

new house: balcony or no balcony??

JC100

Member Bio
Reaction score
hey guys, i am planning to buy a site from the builder. i've been given two options: A has a balcony on the 2nd floor while B has, well, no balcony.

pretty much identical space and same cost. (B has 5 sq m more)

from a potential re-sale value's perspective down the road when I plan to move again, what is the better choice??

thanks

hey guys, i am planning to buy a site from the builder. i've been given two options: A has a balcony on the 2nd floor while B has, well, no balcony.

pretty much identical space and same cost. (B has 5 sq m more)

from a potential re-sale value's perspective down the road when I plan to move again, what is the better choice??

thanks

I'd take the balcony if the cost is the same. When do you ever hear potential buyers say things like "I like the house, but I wish it didn't have a walk-out balcony"? Balcony is never a negative unless it's falling apart.

is the larger B's size of 5 sq m the same size as the balcony ?

if so, what would you use more ... the extra square footage or balcony?

where does the balcony face?
if it's heavy and dusty traffic, would you use it? more dust and noise enter the house? etc?

is the larger B's size of 5 sq m the same size as the balcony ?

if so, what would you use more ... the extra square footage or balcony?

where does the balcony face?
if it's heavy and dusty traffic, would you use it? more dust and noise enter the house? etc?

I say I'd def use the balcony more. It's nice to chill there reading a book, drink a beer what not. but then you have the backyard for that as well.

no, not heavy dusty traffic. it is facing the inner neighborhood.

Are these wood or something else?

Wood balconies are definitely nice, but then again they should be maintained. You'll probably want to waterproof it every so often. I have three wood balconies in my house, so it's a pain, but one small balcony isn't a big deal in terms of added work. The cheaper sealers are OK for a few years, but supposedly the highest end (and most expensive) penetrating sealers can last much longer. Pressure treated lumber (which is what a wood balcony will be built with) will still rot eventually due to moisture if not properly maintained. There are certain plastic wood products that can be used to build balconies, but they're expensive for the good stuff, and even the expensive ones usually look like crap once they're scratched (like if you have a dog or something on the balcony).

Last edited:
I would definitely go with a balcony as it is a plus and should help you with resale value in the future. It will also show better especially if you have some nice lounge chairs/bistro set or any patio/balcony furniture.

I think of it as having a sunroof on a car, its not a must but its nice to have even if you wont use it all that often, it still adds to your resale value.

I would definitely go with a balcony as it is a plus and should help you with resale value in the future. It will also show better especially if you have some nice lounge chairs/bistro set or any patio/balcony furniture.

I think of it as having a sunroof on a car, its not a must but its nice to have even if you wont use it all that often, it still adds to your resale value.
I consider a sunroof a negative, myself. I'd pay less for a car with a sunroof, or at best, pay the same.

Same goes for a pool. I'd pay less for a house with a pool. Actually for a pool, I would not pay the same, definitely less.

For a good balcony I'd pay the same or a bit more. For a poorly maintained one, I'd pay less.

Last edited:
I used to have a wood balcony in one of my houses and we never used it or maintained it. I felt like I wish it was never there, it attracted racoons to live there.

Obviously if it's solely for personal reasons, the decision will be easy. For resale, I'd opt for the balcony simply because it's an extra feature that the majority of people would likely not consider as a significant downside. The upside is that it is just that, an added feature, which may be the clincher for future buyers.

A balcony could be a turn off for families looking to buy, as there is a chance that their kids could get on it and fall off.

As for the sunroof analogy, I paid more for a car with a sunroof. Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. At the end of the day, if you will enjoy the balcony, go for it. It's your house first, might as well enjoy it while you have it. Some will like the idea of a balcony when it comes to resale, some will not. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters!

Since you do have a backyard, I would say the decision won't really matter to the average buyer. If it were a condo with no backyard, a balcony would help with resale.

I'd suggest you look at the area and assess whether or not a balcony is a popular feature. For that area, it just might be a hot selling point. Then again, bigger may be better, it depends on how much more spacious the extra 5 sq m looks on house B.

You mention that this is a house, not a condo.

Some factors you will need to think about:
5 sq.m is equivalent to 54 sq.ft. Interior area is far more valuable than exterior area, and interior area is counted as living area, exterior area does not. However this for a house which probably won't make a huge difference in overall size, but would be a different story if it was in a small condo unit.
You said that the balcony space of House A becomes interior space of House B. Which room gains this extra space in lieu of the balcony and does it make for a much better space?

What room is the balcony off of? You will get the most use and value if it is off a living area rather than a bedroom. Since this is a house I assume it is probably off a bedroom.
How is the view from the balcony? If this balcony is off a bedroom, how often are you going to be using it? Are you the kind of person that enjoys a glass of wine before going to bed, or having a morning coffee in your bathrobe up there?

Is there any other redeeming features of House B that could compensate for the lack of a balcony? Are the finishes nicer? Is it on a nicer lot? Better exposure? Does the balcony of House A deter from the look of the exterior?

Balconies are nice, but I think they are not as valuable on houses are they are on condos, especially if they are not that functional or practical. There are lots more factors than a relatively small balcony that should make you choose one house over another.

Back