News   Mar 28, 2024
 201     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

CityPlace Retail

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a new thread for retail in CityPlace since the discussion about Fox & Fiddle is starting to take up the Loblaws thread.

I will chime in,

I really wish that Citiplace did a better job with their retail. As always, the retail space is an afterthought to the condo. There could be a real chance there but I think that it will be isolated and really only attractive to retailers that can live of the Citiplace residents

I will chime in,

I really wish that Citiplace did a better job with their retail. As always, the retail space is an afterthought to the condo. There could be a real chance there but I think that it will be isolated and really only attractive to retailers that can live of the Citiplace residents

We have two real estate offices, a nail salon, and the office of a product developer in Luna/Luna Vista. All are within the townhome units. The retail is being filled, but doesn't contribute anything to the community.

While checking out Parade, I noticed the units facing the centre courtyard all have commercial doors. Looks like it is actually designed for retail/commercial.

I think over time we should see an improvement in the types of businesses that open up at Cityplace. Its still very much a construction site, which isn't too attractive for businesses.

We have two real estate offices, a nail salon, and the office of a product developer in Luna/Luna Vista. All are within the townhome units. The retail is being filled, but doesn't contribute anything to the community.

While checking out Parade, I noticed the units facing the centre courtyard all have commercial doors. Looks like it is actually designed for retail/commercial.

I think over time we should see an improvement in the types of businesses that open up at Cityplace. Its still very much a construction site, which isn't too attractive for businesses.

The big hurdle isn't with the builder. The city planners don't want to bring more traffic to the area. They want the west side to be suburban. Maybe if enough residents or Torontonians email the planners, they might change their mind and rezone?

The big hurdle isn't with the builder. The city planners don't want to bring more traffic to the area. They want the west side to be suburban. Maybe if enough residents or Torontonians email the planners, they might change their mind and rezone?

Rezone to what? All of the 'residential' units are Live-Work units. Its all up to the owner of those units to determine what they will become.

If that is true about the zoning then I guess the brilliant planners want the thousands of residents of CP to get in their cars and shop in the burbs

Rezone to what? All of the 'residential' units are Live-Work units. Its all up to the owner of those units to determine what they will become.

That's not true. The live-work units are only zoned to provide services. No sales of any kind. That's why you only have the nail salon and the real estate services offices there. I suppose a dentist or doctor's office if they are inclined to move in they could buy the live/work area. But definitely no retail stores. I inquired about it before.

If that is true about the zoning then I guess the brilliant planners want the thousands of residents of CP to get in their cars and shop in the burbs

I think their logic is that there are a lot of retail stores within walking distance, so they should just walk there. They don't want to bring more traffic into the area because of the congestion on Spadina with all the on and off ramps.

Last edited:
That's not true. The live-work units are only zoned to provide services. No sales of any kind. That's why you only have the nail salon and the real estate services offices there. I suppose a dentist or doctor's office if they are inclined to move in they could buy the live/work area. But definitely no retail stores. I inquired about it before.

Google the development application and approval. The entire lot is zoned CR, which allows for the following under Toronto's zoning by law:

Software Development and Processing
Office
Financial Institution
Automated Banking Machine
Holistic Centre
Pet Services
Art Gallery
Museum
Performing Arts Studio
Community Centre
Library
Education Use
Religious Education Use
Post-Secondary School
Veterinary Hospital
Courts of Law
Passenger Terminal
Artist Studio
Production Studio

AND the following conditional uses:

Amusement Arcade
Eating Establishment
Take-out Eating Establishment
Cabaret
Nightclub
Hotel
Personal Service Shop
Recreation Use
Entertainment Place of Assembly
Sports Place of Assembly
Retail Store
Retail Service
Funeral Home
Vehicle Washing Establishment
Vehicle Dealership
Service Shop
Public Parking
Drive Through Facility
Vehicle Fuel Station
Vehicle Service Shop
Club
Day Nursery
Place of Worship
Laboratory
Private School
Public School
Place of Assembly
Custom Workshop

*The bolded items are uses that have already set up shop in the block.

The only condition to having retail in the live/work units is:

(5) Retail Store Condition
In a CR zone subject to Development Standard Set 2 (SS2), the combined total interior floor area of all retail stores on a lot may not be more than 1,800 square metres.

So yes... retail is allowed.

Last edited:

Odd, I inquired about opening up a small coffee shop or variety store at the live/work townhouse and asked my agent if that was possible. The agent checked with the builder (I think?) and told me it's not possible and that I can only provide services but not sales so I gave up the idea.

Maybe the agent or the person he spoke to isn't familiar with the actual zoning rules? Maybe the intent was services only, but someone could challenge that based on the above info.

Google the development application and approval. The entire lot is zoned CR, which allows for the following under Toronto's zoning by law:

Software Development and Processing
Office
Financial Institution
Automated Banking Machine
Holistic Centre
Pet Services
Art Gallery
Museum
Performing Arts Studio
Community Centre
Library
Education Use
Religious Education Use
Post-Secondary School
Veterinary Hospital
Courts of Law
Passenger Terminal
Artist Studio
Production Studio

AND the following conditional uses:

Amusement Arcade
Eating Establishment
Take-out Eating Establishment
Cabaret
Nightclub
Hotel
Personal Service Shop
Recreation Use
Entertainment Place of Assembly
Sports Place of Assembly
Retail Store
Retail Service
Funeral Home
Vehicle Washing Establishment
Vehicle Dealership
Service Shop
Public Parking
Drive Through Facility
Vehicle Fuel Station
Vehicle Service Shop
Club
Day Nursery
Place of Worship
Laboratory
Private School
Public School
Place of Assembly
Custom Workshop

*The bolded items are uses that have already set up shop in the block.

The only condition to having retail in the live/work units is:

(5) Retail Store Condition
In a CR zone subject to Development Standard Set 2 (SS2), the combined total interior floor area of all retail stores on a lot may not be more than 1,800 square metres.

So yes... retail is allowed.

That's really GOOD news. At least it gives me some hope that Cityplace could still turn into an interesting, animated area one day.

Starbucks etc

Given how developed this area already is, it's surpising that there are no Starbucks around.
Near Maple Leaf Square, there are already 3 Starbucks (Telus House, within Longos (MLS) and Queens Quay/York).

Also, this area can use some boutique clothing, furniture / design and pet stores. Dining options are also very lacking.

Last edited:
There's a pet store not right at Cityplace but a nice walking distance (with the dog of course!) on Queen's Quay just west of Spadina. It's not a Starbucks, but isn't there a coffee shop on Bremner east of Spadina?

Spot Coffee. Yes.

Their coffee is better than Starbucks. They also make fresh sandwiches (much better than Starbucks'), delicious fresh pizzas, bagels, croissants, and pastries. Inside they have some very entertaining pieces of local artwork, and the ambiance is great.

Only negative is that prices are a bit steep - but seeing as it's always full it's hard to complain.

The sushi place right around the corner is pretty acceptable too.

Back