News   Mar 28, 2024
 621     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 442     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 772     0 

Residence for the Sisters of St. Joseph (2 O'Connor Dr, 4s, Shim-Sutcliffe) COMPLETE

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Was driving north on the DVP this morning when I noticed a crane on the east side of the highway above the valley north of Pottery Road. Anybody know what this is?

Could it be the redevelopment of the nursing home at 2 O'Connor Dr ?

From Google street view I can see that there was an application for a 4 storey assisted living building.

This is from the city development website:

2 O'CONNOR DR
Ward 29
- Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 08 232246 STE 29 OZ Dec 30, 2008 Aug 25, 2010
OPA and Rezoning - redevelopment of proprety 30 assisted living suites, 35 private hospital beds, 3 guest suites and one chaplin suite
2 O'CONNOR DR

Ward 29
- Tor & E.York Rental Housing Demolition & Conversion 08 232255 STE 00 RH Dec 30, 2008 ---
Rental Housing Demolition - redevelopment of property 30 assisted living suites, 35 private hospital beds, 3 guest suites and one chaplin suite, 2 connected buildings on one lot - 21 sub surface and 21 surface parking This Application was - Approved

Last edited:
I know the convent there is putting in a new chapel, but that's all I was told. It actually sounded really nice from the description I got, but I'm not sure if they have the cash to build it

it is for the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto, 2 O'Connor Drive project. 4 storeys, construction to be complete by november 2012, Shim-Sutcliffe Architechs

Correct, this is the new home of the Sisters of St.Joseph of Toronto, this is a very long curvilinear building, quite thin, 4 storeys which is very perimeter heavy.

Owners have allowed Architects to be quite adventurous with the shape of the building. Total of 58 suites capable of assisted living services.

Chapel is all glass, when looking at the plan, it somewhat is reminicent of a womb.

Copy of End April beginning May 067.jpg

Attachments

• Copy of End April beginning May 067.jpg
    Copy of End April beginning May 067.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,098
Last edited:
Thanks thedeepend

Looks a bit like Integral House - another winner to me! Wish they would tackle some high rise projects as well - their portfolio is overwhelmingly low-rise.

AoD

hmm, maybe they haven't been given a chance to do a tower? i imagine they are kind of expensive to hire, and maybe not conservative enough for Toronto?

its a strange building in person. it took me a minute to realize that L-shaped slats are massive pieces of painted bent steel. the effect is quite beautiful and delicate in its way...

I haven't seen it, but was told that the new chapel built as part of this project is spectacular. Once (if?) the grounds get opened up I'm looking forward to walking around to see it

Thanks thedeepend. The project looks truly impressive. Look at all the gorgeous Corten - and how it plays against the brick of the heritage house; the curved brick walls, curved windows and curved glass pavilion. I can see the awards coming...

AoD

Last edited:

Back