290     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Lofthouse floorplan

Thesb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd welcome some opinions on this floorplan. This is preconstuction, and I'm trying to decide whether to ask the builder to close off the open space between the loft and the master bedroom (i.e. pour a solid floor). It would give me a few extra square feet of usable floor space and also take care of the privacy issue if I have guests stay over, but I'd lose the sense of open space/height in the master bedroom. What do you guys think - if you were buying this unit, what would you prefer?

http://www.leslievillelofthouses.com/pdf/unit07.pdf

Hi guys,

I'd welcome some opinions on this floorplan. This is preconstuction, and I'm trying to decide whether to ask the builder to close off the open space between the loft and the master bedroom (i.e. pour a solid floor). It would give me a few extra square feet of usable floor space and also take care of the privacy issue if I have guests stay over, but I'd lose the sense of open space/height in the master bedroom. What do you guys think - if you were buying this unit, what would you prefer?

I think you have the right idea. I'm not sure why anyone would want to see into a bedroom. I'd pour a solid floor as well. Good floorplan...only drawback is there isn't much counter space in the kitchen.

Hi guys,

Ya, the bedroom privacy thing is a problem, I'd look into something less permanent, like something foldable on tracks.

A moveable little island should increase the lack of counter space in the kitchen.

definitely close it off the space between the 2 levels ... it gives you the option to actually use the loft as a bedroom should you wish to.

also, having it open can result in several issues:
lack of privacy, increased noise transmission, improper circulation/ventilation

Have to agree with the above comments. When I think of a loft, I naturally think of tall ceiling height in the living room not between two bedrooms. I just don't see the benefit of having that open space and not sure if it really adds that much to the atmosphere.

Counter space seems standard for an L-shaped kitchen. Depends on how you use your kitchen. I'd personally keep it open and place a bar/cabinetry/console table along the stairwell. But if I had better culinary skills, I'd place a moveable island in the middle. But don't make it permanent or you're limiting the possibilities.

As I understand it, one of the options will be a small island with an electrical outlet. The caveat is that the island will not be movable as it will be hardwired via the floor. We're leaning towards getting it installed as my wife sure loves her KitchenAid appliances, and I love the cookies they help produce :)

I don't think these particular units are designed with the intention that the top floor will actually be used as a bedroom. I guess the idea is to let more natural light into the master bedroom and to give the illusion of space, but I think I'd rather have the extra floorspace for a desk or maybe a loveseat (that space will be the little library I've waited my whole life to have, haha). The noise transmission issue was a good point as well...

Yeah, I think it was intended to be a "loft space" for lounging or an office and they added /bedroom for added value/flexibility.

Yes, close it off. Also, ask them if they can somehow move the power room to be on same floor as kitchen / living room.

Back