News   Mar 28, 2024
 334     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     0 

Where Should I Apply For a Job?

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm in University and for the summer I would love a job that offers real experience in planning or even something more corporate than a typical student summer job. I take Communication Studies and Geography at McMaster and I was wondering where would be a good place to apply?

I've applied to various government jobs, but no such luck so far.

Any suggestions?

Try the Summer Experience Program with the Ontario Government. Pay is only minimum wage but it's a great experience. When I did it they only offered 6-8 week contracts and I worked in policy for the Ministry of Tourism in the summer after I finished my BA. Then two years later when I needed a work placement as part of my Masters in Planning, I called up my former manager to ask if they needed someone for the summer and was welcomed back with an extended contract and more responsibility.

I know the MNR just posted all of their summer student positions and apparently other ministries will begin posting theirs in the coming weeks. For more info: http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOHowToApply.asp

I will say this though: Every position is incredibly competitive. Make sure you tailor your resume specifically for each position you apply for. I had an extensive tourism background in both hospitality and research which allowed me to stand out amongst the 200+ resumes they received for my position (and that's not to toot my own horn. I just happened to have a background that literally no one else had).

Yeah, I applied for a few jobs on that website, but it's incredibly difficult to actually get those. They don't even pay very well, but the experience is probably worth it.

Ya the pay isn't good at all. I had the opportunity to talk to McGuinty one day and I mentioned to him that I worked in policy at Tourism under this program and he replied "Oh that's great, it pays pretty good too doesn't it?" and I was like ummm... it's minimum wage. He kind of walked right into it, but I followed it up by saying that the experience is great and in the grand scheme of things is what matters. I understand entirely the need to make money in the summer, but at least minimum wage is over 10 bucks now. When I did it the first time I only made 8.00/hr.

Anyways, keep looking at that site. There are usually hundreds of summer positions posted.

I'm in University and for the summer I would love a job that offers real experience in planning or even something more corporate than a typical student summer job. I take Communication Studies and Geography at McMaster and I was wondering where would be a good place to apply?

I've applied to various government jobs, but no such luck so far.

Any suggestions?

What can anyone do with geography huh? Look at maps all day I suppose. :p
Jokes aside though, geography is so broad that I think that it is actually better to just specialize in the particular field of geography. If you like urban geography, go for urban studies or urban planning instead. :p In all honesty I get a feeling that the only good thing that geog can give is GIS - and for that you don't even need a bachelors.

Maybe I'm wrong. But until someone dares defend geography, I feel that its branches are better served by other fields of study.

You want to join your job for short time in just summer..! Then you should visit any link regarding this, You just find from nearest location of your home on internet, If you found nearest to your home then e-mail them...! If you want to join for full period as permanent basis then search from job Bank..!!
Jeepers, did the editors of www.engrish.com write this?

I am older than you I have spent most of my life seeking work in Canada across the whole country actually. I have lived in 4 provinces now! I have been out of work for 3 years in Ottawa for two reasons 1) I do not speak and write in French and 2) affirmative action programs....I cannot live where I am from which is the east coast as there is no work there. I am sick of moving.

I am older than you I have spent most of my life seeking work in Canada across the whole country actually. I have lived in 4 provinces now! I have been out of work for 3 years in Ottawa for two reasons 1) I do not speak and write in French and 2) affirmative action programs....I cannot live where I am from which is the east coast as there is no work there. I am sick of moving.

wow lol

My advice would be to specialize. Figure out where you probably want your career to go, and target positions in companies and government agencies where you particular skills can be of use. For example, with your experience in communications you could target companies and agencies that do a lot of public meetings, open houses and presentations, and sell yourself as someone who can help prepare display boards, and help talk to public at open houses.

Hey Cooool I'm a Mac grad who also studied in the Social Sciences. I would suggest looking at an office temp agency. Yes, you'll start off doing precarious work, and yes, the job will be menial, and yes, your "recruiter" will take a cut, but in many cases it is opens a door to the organization which will eventually hire you on. I started off doing data-entry for a not-for-profit, familiarized myself with the organization's operations, performed well and got along well with the management and once my contract ended with the temp agency the not-for-profit hired me on in a more stable and better paying position.

Back