Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

Frank

Quiet Lake
Member Bio
Reaction score
There seems to be new activity in the parking lot just east of Waterpark Place on Queen's Quay. I believe the site is slated for development as Waterpark Place III.

Last week there was what looked like core drilling in different locations on the site and today there are surveyors taking measurements.

Does anyone know what's going on and are there any drawings of the proposed building? I've read there is a plan to erect a twenty story building on the site. There was an application notice a year or two ago but very quiet since.

FL

Just to be clear (and without any other info to add yet), this is for the parking lot west of Waterpark Place.

Yes. Thank you. It is the parking lot west of Waterpark Place and east of the parkette off York Street and Queen's Quay.

By the way there are discussions with the city to remove the Gardiner ramp over the parkette which would foster a beautiful little park but the city is already eyeing the possibility of putting in a short, wide road between the parkette and the Waterpark Place III site for tour bus and general parking. Not sure how much land will be left for the park. Too bad. The park has potential for a little oasis between the towers.

FL

Yes. It's shaping up to be a busy downtown block. Oxford is a big player and so is OMERS who owns the Waterpark Place III site. It would be interesting to see if there is collaboration. If the economy continues to wake up there could be even more activity on Harbour St.

The York Quay Neighbourhood Association recently reported the site at the north east corner of York and Harbour Street, where the former Workman's Compensation Board building stands, is generating interest from developers. The Province is selling this site (90 Harbour Street.)

I hope architects get a little more daring in this stretch between York and Bay and give us a break from the predominant green tinged glass boxes I see so often now.

Frank

OMERS owns Oxford. Pattison and Oxford are also in the process of getting the third party ground signs legalized. Don't get your hopes up over some drilling and surveying.

The office market is hardly as hot as you make it out to be. Also, Oxford is targeting Richmond Adelaide 5 first.

The word I heard is one of the banks is close to signing on here. 300,000 - 800,000 square feet of back office type space consolidated from multiple locations downtown. The bank originally talked to the Southcore folks but the bank didn't want any frills. Southcore wouldn't cheapen so they are now looking here. Don't expect anything but a plain box. A walkway is planned above Lakeshore and below the Gardiner to connect to PATH.

The word I heard is one of the banks is close to signing on here. 300,000 - 800,000 square feet of back office type space consolidated from multiple locations downtown. The bank originally talked to the Southcore folks but the bank didn't want any frills. Southcore wouldn't cheapen so they are now looking here. Don't expect anything but a plain box. A walkway is planned above Lakeshore and below the Gardiner to connect to PATH.

Well Southcore itself was a simple, plain box. What are those frills in Southcore? and if this is even less 'frilly' than Southcore we could be looking at something truly crappy at a high profile location.

A walkway is planned above Lakeshore and below the Gardiner to connect to PATH.

That's very cool. It will be great when PATH reaches almost as far down as the lake, even if PATH south of the rail corridor is a bit Calgarian.

When Waterpick was built - our very own little waterfront Pelli knockoff - and the World Trade Centre complex planned to the east of it, there was much excitement about filling in the gaps between Union Station and 1 Yonge/ Harbour Square. My, my how much time passed before we got to see this district finally get built up. But worth the wait, I think.

Back