News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Overnight visitor parking?

kaitlyn2004

Member Bio
Reaction score
Basically everywhere in downtown Toronto has no parking after midnight. For those of you living in houses/semi's in Toronto, what do you do with your guests who may stay the night or at least late - past midnight?

Basically everywhere in downtown Toronto has no parking after midnight. For those of you living in houses/semi's in Toronto, what do you do with your guests who may stay the night or at least late - past midnight?
Find a street that does allow overnight parking (there's a few ... though technically no one can park anywhere for more 3 hours without a permit, but that's seldom enforced unless someone complains); obtain a temporary permit, use a Green P lot, or find a friend with an empty spot for the night.

These rules are not just downtown Toronto......most municipalities have similar rules....they are generally posted as you cross city borders on signs that tell you general parking rules and speed limits on streets when not posted.

Most Green P lots, especially on weekends, have very reasonable overnight rates. The overnight rate at Lansdowne station for example is only $2. The weekend daily maximum is $3.50. The Green P on Sherbourne I believe is around $10 for the night on weekends.

You can usually park on most main streets over night. The only issue is moving the car in the AM, as streets have no parking invoked at 7AM. Works well for a Saturday night park as parking usually isn't enforced until 1PM.

Problem with parking on most main streets over night is in the winter. Most (if not all) street that are not permit parking are snow routes. From I believe either Nov. 1 or Dec. 1 to April 1st you cannot park on any main street from 2am to 6am. Its a good parking rule because if there was a snow fall and cars were parking on major streets the city snow removal wouldn't be able to get the right lane cleared and come rush hour the right lane would be filled with snow mounds.

Whatever you do, do not park in shopping mall parking lots overnight. You could end up having the car towed. Which means ending up with a parking ticket, plus towing expenses, plus the yard expenses. The same can happen if you park in a lot and go next door other than the lot designated. For example, park in a fast food lot and go next door to the medical building, you may get towed.

Problem with parking on most main streets over night is in the winter. Most (if not all) street that are not permit parking are snow routes. From I believe either Nov. 1 or Dec. 1 to April 1st you cannot park on any main street from 2am to 6am. Its a good parking rule because if there was a snow fall and cars were parking on major streets the city snow removal wouldn't be able to get the right lane cleared and come rush hour the right lane would be filled with snow mounds.
I haven't even seen a snow route sign for a couple of years, and I don't believe that this has ever been in effect since at least Lastman was mayor.

The city still has a snow route page - http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/snow/emergency.htm though you can see that it's only in effect after the declaration of a snow emergency; I'm not aware of any such declaration this decade, or the previous one.

Where have you seen this in effect since the 1990s?

There were "No Parking Snow route" signs on Eglinton Avenue east of Mt. Pleasant this summer. I didn't expect snow in June so I parked as did many other people.

I haven't even seen a snow route sign for a couple of years, and I don't believe that this has ever been in effect since at least Lastman was mayor.

The city still has a snow route page - http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/snow/emergency.htm though you can see that it's only in effect after the declaration of a snow emergency; I'm not aware of any such declaration this decade, or the previous one.

Where have you seen this in effect since the 1990s?

It is definitely enforced in North York (or the region of Toronto that was North York) ... I know this because I have been ticketed on a non-permit street for this.

As for downtown you may be right, but I think people generally stay off the main streets over night in the winter if its going to snow. As for the signs "No Parking - Snow Route" they are everywhere downtown. I don't think you can go more than one or poles without seeing one. So I'm not sure why there isn't a specific law downtown regarding this.

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/parking/regulations.htm

If you scroll down they note what you can be ticketed for without a posted sign (i.e. 3 hours max, etc.). The 2am to 6am is for North York.

It is definitely enforced in North York (or the region of Toronto that was North York) ... I know this because I have been ticketed on a non-permit street for this.
When and where was this? The website clearly says "The declaration of a snow emergency will be publicized in the media." and it's been years since I remember hearing the media mention that a snow emergency had been declared.

I recall that there used to be snow route signs on Gerrard Street ... but they seem to have gone ... I can't remember seeing one anywhere for a while, but perhaps I just don't notice them. Mind you, there's still a few pre-WWI street signs near me with spelling mistakes that they are yet to fix after 100 years or so ... so who knows what out-of-date signage is in this city.

You were probably ticketed for overnight parking which is illegal all year round. I have never (and I should know better than to use the "never" word) heard of permitted street parking in the former North York.

Waiting patiently for examples of permit parking to be posted.

You were probably ticketed for overnight parking which is illegal all year round. I have never (and I should know better than to use the "never" word) heard of permitted street parking in the former North York.

Waiting patiently for examples of permit parking to be posted.

No it was a no parking 2am to 6am, I mean I wouldn't park somewhere that is illegal all year round.

I think its just a by-law, and you're right there are very few permit parking locations in North York.

From that link I posted...
>>
Parking offences that do not require signs
The most common situations:

Offence No. on ticket Description Area for by-law Set Fine
2 Park longer than 3 hours Toronto wide $15.00
11 Park more than 30cm from curb Toronto wide $15.00
12 Park vehicle for sale Toronto wide $15.00
14 Park obstruct driveway/laneway Toronto wide $40.00
15 Park 3 metres of fire hydrant Toronto wide $100.00
16 Park 9 metres of intersecting highway Toronto wide $40.00
24 Park taxi cab for hire-unauthorized location Toronto wide $30.00
26 Park on Boulevard North York
Scarborough
East York
Toronto $30.00
28 Park between 2am-6am Dec 1 to Mar 31 North York $30.00
30 Stop on/over sidewalk/footpath Toronto wide $60.00
31 Stop roadside (parked/stopped) vehicle Toronto wide $60.00
48 Park left wheels to curb Toronto wide $15.00
57 Stop within intersection Toronto wide $60.00
58 Stop within 9 metres of crosswalk Toronto wide $60.00
65 Stop on bridge Toronto wide $60.00
70 Stop on centre strip Toronto wide $60.00
For up-to-date parking by-law information in your area, please call Access Toronto at 416-338-0338 or email at
>>

As for the snow route signs, a quick look on street view for any major street in Toronto and you will see them.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour...O6zcLw9Y-QdMBVyKIUbqvQ&cbp=12,206.99,,1,-0.31 (University just north of Queen)

What I really don't know is how it is enforced outside of North York region.

Back