News   Apr 23, 2024
 368     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Oakville and Milton Transit - Major service cuts

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
Like what recently happened to Toronto and York Region, lots of transit service cuts being considered in towns of Oakville and Milton, despite growing and record ridership levels, in order to the "reduce impact on taxpayers." In both cases, both systems had seen major improvements recently, and these cuts would undo much of that. Similar to TTC isn't it?

So in the GTA, only Brampton, Mississauga, Burlington, and Durham will not cut transit service this year.

Oakville will see the loss of two bus routes and the elimination of Sunday and holiday service, combined with increased fares.

The cuts to Milton Transit will probably the most drastic, despite a more than 30% increase in ridership in 2010, and a 25% increase projected for 2011. What's funny about all this is how Milton's mayor justified cutting transit funding and service: to reduce air pollution and "improve transit" (see article below). Yeah... it's all for the environment and the riders.

Transit budget could be cut
Christina Commisso, CANADIAN CHAMPION STAFF

February 10, 2011

At a time where Milton Transit is experiencing an unprecedented spike in ridership, town council is considering a significant cut to next year’s transit budget.

Councillor Rick Malboeuf proposed a motion that asks staff to mull over a $285,000 reduction in transit’s 2012 operating budget, which was passed by council during budget deliberations.

Malboeuf said the cost of transit is too high for the number of residents who use it. Currently, the Town subsidizes Milton Transit (MT) about $10 for every ride taken — an amount he says is too much for the tax base to absorb.

“The biggest thing I hear about is large, empty buses driving up and down the streets,” said Malboeuf, who sits on the Transit Advisory Committee. “We never really had transit in town. There are usually two or three cars in every driveway. People are not used to it and it doesn’t make sense to run transit through (certain areas). Where we are not being efficient, we can’t continue to have taxpayers subsidize the costs.”

However, since rolling out a revamped transit system that included new routes, two-way service and reduced wait times, bus ridership has never been higher.

Overall transit boarding increased by 50 per cent from September to December 2010, after the Town expanded the service by about 35 per cent.

“Milton surpassed almost 160,000 boardings in 2010, versus 120,000 in 2009. It’s unprecedented in the transit industry. It’s something to be proud of,” said the Town’s transit co-ordinator Tony D’Alessandro.

In terms of empty buses, he said on average there are 14 rides per hour during peak periods, and 12 rides during off peak-hours.

“You can’t just stop service in the middle of the day. For those people who really depend on transit and who don’t have an automobile, we want to provide some basic level of mobility,” said D’Alessandro, adding that a drastic change in service between peak and off peak hours will confuse transit users.

During recent budget deliberations, staff warned council that a $285,000 cut would have a severe implication on the system.

The funding decrease would means the elimination of almost two of the town’s five routes. “Currently we have momentum,” said Milton’s Director of Engineering, Paul Cripps. “Ridership is growing and the system is more used. It we cut (the budget) now, we’ll lose that.”

Cripps also pointed out the Town has signed a contractual agreement with service provider PW Transit that doesn’t expire for another four years. D’Alessandro added that the cut would be contrary to both Provincial and Federal transportation policies.

Ward 8 Councillor Zeeshan Hamid, who also sits on the transit committee, said it’s important to look at transit as part of the whole transportation network.

“The goal of a transportation network is to move people around, not to move cars around. Last year there were 160,000 people not driving on Milton roads, and this year we’re expecting more than 200,000 (transit) riders.”

Hamid added that there’s only so much the Town can do with five bus routes

“Sometimes you have to add more connections to enable people to take transit,” he said. “We’re building (transit) up. But we can’t build it all in one day.”

When asked about the environmental and infrastructure costs of more cars on the road, Malboeuf said empty buses are causing air pollution and wear and tear on Milton’s roads. Hamid, on the other hand, said in the long run, the cost of reducing transit will be hefty.

“Culturally, we’ve accepted the cost of maintaining roads and bridges. But we don’t think about the efficiencies, about getting more value out of the roads by using buses.”

Hamid added that it’s important to take into consideration Milton’s changing demographics. Pointing to the Milton Education Village that will see thousands of students, many who will use transit, and Milton’s burgeoning teenage population, who are one of the biggest transit user groups, Hamid said the community’s need for buses will only grow from here.

“It’s in our best interest from a safety point of view to provide (teens) with a reasonable means of transportation as opposed to encouraging them to drive everywhere.”

Malboeuf said he’s not trying to shut down transit, only improve it.

“I want to make it available for the people who need it, taking into considering the impact on the tax payer,” he said.

“We on the transit committee have a year to find those savings, because they money is not going to be there next year.”

The 2011 transit operating budget is about $2.5 million, and the system is expected to generate just under $1 million in revenue.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news/article/953366--transit-budget-could-be-cut

The items being considered in Brampton during this round of budget talks are:

1. Increasing fares to $3.25 per ride (a 25 cent increase) and increasing the cost of passes by 5%
2. Implementation of seniors fare of $1 per ride.

Haven't seen any mention of cuts and, of course, the second Zum line is scheduled to be operating during this year.

As for Milton....I imagine transit is an easy target. I doubt that it is the prefered way to get around town and, as the Mayor said, it is a fairly new concept. So, considering that no transit system recovers every cent of operating costs from users, it is probably easy to point to as a budget strain....even with increased ridership they probably see that as a "every new rider increases the 'subsidy" " sort of situation.

So in the GTA, only Brampton, Mississauga, Burlington, and Durham will not cut transit service this year.
Just a quick note on Durham: while details won't be available until tomorrow (likely) and won't be fully approved until sometime next month, the current word is that DRT is getting an 8% funding increase this year to begin the restructuring of routes in Ajax and Pickering.

You can add OC to the list of cuts
Cuts to OC Transpo Routes Loom
http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=78083

Cuts to OC Transpo Routes Loom

Josh Pringle with Stephanie Kinsella
Thursday, February 17, 2011
It could be the end of the road for some routes as OC Transpo looks to find savings.
The interim Transit Commission is considering consolidating or eliminating 47 routes in order to get rid of duplication. Another eight routes will have certain loops or streets eliminated.
OC Transpo is looking to find $7 million in savings in 2011, and another $22 million in its 2012 budget.
OC Transpo General Manager Alain Mercier says some routes would see an increase in service through the changes, and a new overall approach.
OC Transpo is looking at adding 75 double-decker buses to its routes as part of the plan to find cost efficiencies.
The report states over 90 per cent of routes would remain "exactly as they are today with no change."
Mercier warns that if efficiencies aren't found and adopted by 2016, transit alone would cost an additional five per cent tax increase each year.

What are the cost savings from running 30 foot buses, or even community shuttles? Could Milton just sell its fleet of 40 foot buses and buy smaller vehicles? It's not like they ever reach crush load on them, anyway.

What are the cost savings from running 30 foot buses, or even community shuttles?

From what I understand, virtually nothing. Slightly less gas used and that's it. The buses cost the same and so does the driver.

30 foot buses are usually more about using a vehicle that is "appropiately scaled to use in a residential neighbourhood" than any financial justification.

I figured as much.

---

Incidentally, the Milton councilors interviewed in that newspaper article sound surprisingly educated and rational about the role that transit plays in the wider mobility perspective. Their decision to cut transit service doesn't have that right wing ideological ring to it that usually accompanies similar cuts in the US.

That's too bad about Milton. It's no raging success story, but suburban transit grows only with multi-year commitments.

Brampton's the only system I can think of in the GTA that has consistently improved service, and has the ridership growth to match. Ridership doubled between 2000 and 2010, the population certainly hasn't.

At least this year, Durham, Mississauga and Brampton will be moving forward; while York Region continues to fall back. The TTC cuts are minor in scope, but also disappointing. But at least most of the service added during Giambrone/Miller will be retained.

I think Oakville's cuts are a shame too. Their system saw 7% ridership growth in 2010, which is very high growth. Also forgot to mention they are considering cutting late evening trips as well, in addition to the other cuts I mentioned.

Durham Region Transit operation saw $1.3 budget surplus this year, and (surprisingly) the region is committed using that surplus to improve service, the Ajax/Pickering restructuring mentioned earlier, instead cutting taxes. Good for them, though Ajax Pickering route realignment is waaay late...

Brampton's proposed fare increase seems as disappointing as the other service cuts. In addition the $3.25 cash fare, BT will have a $2.65 adult fare compared to MT's $2.50, and a $2.45 student fare (high school only) compared to MT's $2.25 (high school and post-secondary). And somehow they has the balls to state that "the proposed Brampton Transit fare will compare favourably with our adjacent neighbours", on top of claiming that MT's cash fare will rise to $3.10 (which isn't true at all). If YRT doesn't increase fare, then Brampton will have most expensive transit fares in the GTA...

I'm guessing it is a sign of the times. People have a choice between increased fares or decreased services. With the momentum shifting to the right, they are now focusing on the latter.

Seeing as the GTA has the highest local transit fares in the country, a year off of hikes to let them fall into balance is not such a bad idea. Especially considering most of the cuts are minor at most (and I myself am affected as a bus I sometimes take is having its service cut to every hour during the time I tend to use it).

^ I don't think right wing has anything to do with less fare increase. TTC kept fares the same for many years under David Miller, while BT, MT YRT increased fares constantly. The right usually mean less taxpayer subsidy to transit but that affects both fares and service...

Back