402     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 436     0 

Integral House (James Stewart, 4s, Shim Sutcliffe) COMPLETE

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Integral House: The book

Has anyone read the above book by local architects Shim and Sutcliffe? I am thinking of ordering and just want to make sure it is a worthwhile purchase.

Browsed through it at Ballenford's - didn't think it was substantial enough to warrant purchase. I could be biased though since I don't have much of an interest in detached houses.

AoD

I haven't seen it. I have another book of theirs that came out of a lecture series at a Minnesota university a few years ago that is quite interesting.

I have been in the house many times, although not since he has moved in......I installed the geothermal system.

I have been in many of the largest, most expensive homes in the GTA, and nothing comes close to the level of detail and workmanship of this home. Nothing...I mean NOTHING is off the shelf here. Even the door handles were custom designed and cast in bronze by an artist. The exposed polished concrete elements are as magnificent as the best stone work.

All in all...one impressive bachelor pad. Although what little furniture it has, is surprisingly pedestrian.

Hats off to Shim-Sutcliffe...their magnum opus for sure. Carte blanche projects like this don't get handed to architects very often.

P. S. I don't think they mentioned it in the Star article, but it got the name "Integral House" because of his two loves...calculus and the violin...and the sign for the integral in calculus and the cut out in a violin body are almost identical. The fact that the house has no straight lines or 90 degree angles fits in.

Here's a couple of shots of the detail of how wood, stone, concrete and bronze come together...

shimsutcliffetheintegra.jpg
[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

sinsut5.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Even the music stands are custom made (the bases are in the shape of the floorplan of various levels of the house)

[/URL][/img]

Last edited:
I have been in the house many times, although not since he has moved in......I installed the geothermal system.

I have been in many of the largest, most expensive homes in the GTA, and nothing comes close to the level of detail and workmanship of this home. Nothing...I mean NOTHING is off the shelf here. Even the door handles were custom designed and cast in bronze by an artist. The exposed polished concrete elements are as magnificent as the best stone work.

All in all...one impressive bachelor pad. Although what little furniture it has, is surprisingly pedestrian.

Hats off to Shim-Sutcliffe...their magnum opus for sure. Carte blanche projects like this don't get handed to architects very often.

P. S. I don't think they mentioned it in the Star article, but it got the name "Integral House" because of his two loves...calculus and the violin...and the sign for the integral in calculus and the cut out in a violin body are almost identical. The fact that the house has no straight lines or 90 degree angles fits in.

Here's a couple of shots of the detail of how wood, stone, concrete and bronze come together...

wow, thank you for those ...

Why would anyone want bare concrete walls in their home? It must feel freezing in that house in the winter time.

Why would anyone want bare concrete walls in their home? It must feel freezing in that house in the winter time.

Oh I dunno...cause it looks beautiful? Why would anyone want painted gypsum board walls?

Since they are interior support elements, they don't contribute to any heat loss. Since all all the exterior walls are glass, the main load on the house is not heating...but cooling. The house has a geothermal system that has 21 tons of cooling capacity.

Funny thing about the concrete...since they are the basic support, they were there from the beginning, and ALL the trades over the years of finishing of the house were warned about not going near them...don't touch them...don't breath on them!! he he If they are damaged, you just can't replace them. These aren't "regular" poured concrete....special crews who specialize in this sort of thing do the forming, the pouring and the finishing to get these results using special mix.

I just meant the presence of concrete on the walls would give off a cold atmosphere (not literally make the house cold). It's not a warm material, visually.

Thanks for those photos, freshcutgrass. It's a truly beautiful house. Even if it's let down by the occupant's startlingly bad furniture.

Well, while concrete may not be warm "feeling", it is not the predominant element in the house. The combination of materials used works in my opinion. Given the amount of wood in the house, the added materials of stone, concrete, glass and metal prevent it from feeling like a log cabin. Years of detail design went into every inch of this house...every "fin" on the outside walls are designed at particular angles to filter light on the interior depending on the sun's movement during the day, so there is no need for "drapes" or blinds".

The interior is certainly not "cozy" (and was never intended to be), but it certainly does not feel cold, austere or uninviting as many large, modernist houses tend to be.

It may be large and empty, but this does not seem "cold" to me.....

screenshot20100606at113.png
[/URL][/img]

The woodwork is nice, the home just looks too much like a museum or public building. It doesn't look very inviting or relaxing in my eyes, but I do like the exterior. I'm just not a fan of contemporary homes, though I like the fact it isn't the typical box on box style which is so prevalent with new, modern styled dwellings. The blue, glossy walled staircase is cool but I can't figure out why he'd want that in his house. Looks like something you'd see at a swanky club. What's with these infinity pools? They're not even made for swimming. How much fun can you have in a pool that is as wide as a person laying horizontally? From the looks of his pool, he'd have to keep splashing to a minimum, otherwise water would be dripping all over his walls and windows. I guess it's just a place to relax, blow bottom bubbles and relish his own stench.

I'm just not a fan of contemporary homes

Ok...well that explains my mystification over why you seem to want to criticize the place so badly, without really coming up with any good arguments. To each his own I guess.

the home just looks too much like a museum or public building.

Well, it actually is somewhat of a hybrid building...part private home...part concert hall. The part that acts as concert hall looks and acts the part (and with excellent acoustics too). The part that acts as private space is quite intimate and domestic. This is not your typical pathetic attempt at Versailles on Park Lane Circle (although the exact copy of the Petit Trianon in Caledon I was at was actually fairly impressive).

The blue, glossy walled staircase is cool but I can't figure out why he'd want that in his house.

Because this particular stairwell (there are 5 separate stairwells in the house plus an elevator) is in the centre of the home, and part of its job is to filter light into the centre of the home (it has a skylight over it). This is a private stairway that leads to his suite on the top floor. Also, since he is a collector of glass art, he decided to incorporate a glass art installation as part of this stairwell (by artist Mimi Gellman). The glass is not attached to the walls...they are suspended with bronze brackets and stainless steel wire. Like a lot of the elements of the house, it's commissioned, functional art. The combination of natural light and the light filtered through this cobalt blue glass art installation is quite impressive in person.

And yea...it's cool. And that's a bad thing because....?

[/URL][/img]

shinsut5.jpg
[/URL][/img]

What's with these infinity pools? They're not even made for swimming. How much fun can you have in a pool that is as wide as a person laying horizontally? From the looks of his pool, he'd have to keep splashing to a minimum, otherwise water would be dripping all over his walls and windows. I guess it's just a place to relax, blow bottom bubbles and relish his own stench.

You'll have to ask him...but there's nothing in this house that wasn't designed to his personal use...he didn't instal a lap pool just for the sake of it...he must want to use it (it's bigger than you think and I believe it has one of those current machines so you can swim in one spot). The whole bottom floor is his personal exercise facility (gym, sauna, etc is located behind the pool area). The whole 35 foot glass wall of the pool area lowers out of site to make it an indoor/outdoor facility. Like the rest of the house, the materials and fit and finish here is drool worthy.

Ah...if ya don't like it...ya don't like it. You can spend YOUR $30 million on whatever legacy you like.

I think John Bentley Mays summed it up nicely....

In every prosperous time and place, of course, successful people are occasionally struck with the Xanadu fantasy--the longing to go beyond merely providing for themselves comfortable places to live, to contribute something substantial to the history and culture of architecture. And to be sure, Integral House does embody a formidable amount of advanced research, both formal and technical, on the part of the architects. There are no half-measures here; every cranny and angle and fixture has been thought out with rigorous care.

Because history has been invoked by the client, history alone can be the final judge of whether Integral House will be regarded by the future as a masterpiece of 21st-century architectural design, or as merely another piece of evidence for the excesses of Toronto’s most recent Gilded Age.

My hunch, however, is that the impact of this deeply interesting, fastidiously researched and designed building will endure long past the era of its construction--even if it can’t quite decide whether it’s a cultural institution or a private residence. In common with its venerable precedents--Le Corbusier’s Villa Savoie, Mies van der Rohe’s Tugendhat House, and especially Aalto’s Villa Mairea come to mind--Integral House represents an effective experimental think-through of the problem of the luxury dwelling in modern times, and, as well, a remarkable contribution to the architecture of exuberant aesthetic gesture.

Interesting article today in the Star about Integral House and its backstory:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/933017--the-house-that-math-built

I had seen a few exterior shots of this house, but had no idea why it was called Integral House. Now I know. Anyone had a tour or been at an event there?

I've been to several events/parties here. The house is amazing when it is full of people, and even better in the summer with the ravine in the back. Unfortunately I once spilled a red martini on that concrete. Sigh....

Shim and Sutcliffe do some amazing work. I've also stayed in their wonderful Morris House in Stratford:

MorrisHouse1.jpg

MorrisHouseTour1_1.jpg

MorrisHouseTour1_2.jpg

MorrisHouseTour2.htm

MorrisHouseTour3.htm

MorrisHouseTour5_1.jpg

Amazing, and what beautiful spaces and materials. I saw a program featuring this house and was particularly impressed how it opens up to the trees and ravine. Reminds me of a modern hillside villa in LA- except with a Canadian twist and lush wooded surroundings.

Back