News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Yonge Line Weekend Shutdowns....

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
In regards to the installation of cross over tracks at college station, the media mentions there will be two more weekend shutdowns. Are all these to do with the same crossover, or are additional cross-overs going to be installed? Is there anywhere else where they can fit them?

It looks like there will be a shutdown for a weekend in February and again in March to complete this cross over at College station.

They apparently want to install crossovers in the future at King station and south of St Clair station as well. These will be separate shutdowns in the future.

There used to be crossovers in these locations, but they were removed to save on maintenance. For example, the College and King crossovers are constrained by where there is a pre-existing gap in the tunnel walls to put the tracks in.

They apparently want to install crossovers in the future at King station and south of St Clair station as well....There used to be crossovers in these locations, but they were removed to save on maintenance.

What a forward thinking idea. Can we also remove the people mover between lines at Spadina so we don't have to maintain it anymore? "We did that already." Oh yeah, right.

I'll admit that I liked seeing the busses going up and down Yonge St. It looked like a real city! Lol. Plus, there was more pedestrian traffic which gave the strip more life. But, a bus route down Yonge St is pointless during the day. They should start it at midnight and stop it when the subway opens.

It would be helpful if the TTC identified every little thing that needed to be done on the Yonge line - from replacing light bulbs to fixing broken escalators and did it on the same day as they built the cross tracks. The TTC has a knack for doing routine maintenance at the worst possible time: escalators shut down on the Monday morning rush hour being a prime example.

The way the TTC does their schedules needs to be completely revamped. Their entire management structure needs to be revamped.

Buses were pack to the gills with large crowds waiting at major stop. Buses were either a single or running in pack of 4 or more.

We used the streetcar to go from Yonge to University and it was pack for the 505. 501 and 506 had larger crowds at Yonge St.

Starting next weekend and every weekend until April, no service between Wilson and Downsview as they are going to start building the 3rd track from the yard to the station.

There needs to be some house cleaning at all levels. Time to find people who will put themselves on the firing line for saying this is what is to happen to get work done and to service the customers, other this will happen with backlash complaints.

Ah, so this explains why the subway's been slowing down btw/Dundas + College in recent months. (I thought it had to do w/Aura construction.)

But, a bus route down Yonge St is pointless during the day. They should start it at midnight and stop it when the subway opens.

Actually, it's *not* pointless north of Eglinton, where the distances btw/subway stops is humongous. And besides, the bus further south is by and large morning/evening rush only, and as such it isn't bad as backup transport, esp. if you're lucky to get one and aren't in a troglodyte mood...

What a forward thinking idea. Can we also remove the people mover between lines at Spadina so we don't have to maintain it anymore? "We did that already." Oh yeah, right.

Got to stop that gravy train. Same with articulated buses, too much maintenance...

...Instead, we'll run 3-4 separate buses with 3-4 separate drivers.

Interesting looking at the TTC site this morning.

It says that "There are no major disruptions at this time."

And the trip planner says that for trips leaving Union to Finch right now, that they leave from "UNION STATION - NORTHBOUND PLATFORM towards FINCH"

Either the work finished early ... or the TTC is run by morons. As I always tend to think positively of people, I guess they finished early.

I'll admit that I liked seeing the busses going up and down Yonge St. It looked like a real city! Lol. Plus, there was more pedestrian traffic which gave the strip more life. But, a bus route down Yonge St is pointless during the day. They should start it at midnight and stop it when the subway opens.

97 bus is sparsely used, but I always see at least a few people on board. I believe it is maintained for accessibility reasons. King, College and Wellesley (and Queen southbound platform?) still have no elevators. Every time I see a 97 pull up to a stop the riders appear to be elderly who I imagine have difficulty navigating the stairs, and the packed rush hour trains.

reTweeted this last night:

"Southbound Yonge Subway buses starting at Rosedale Station. Easy transfer and they are empty."

-and this from today:

Update - Sunday, January 30, 7:37 a.m.: Some Transit Toronto readers advise exiting the subway at Rosedale Station. Even though, officially, the buses start and end their trips at Bloor Street, in reality they’re looping through Rosedale Station terminal. (Although we were at Rosedale Station yesterday, we didn’t see passengers boarding buses there, although at least three at a time wait in the station terminal.)

Back