• Yes

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are you asking if this will happen or if it shoiuld happen?

I'd like to see all operations end up with Metrolinx, but with several caveats. Metrolinx would need to have a more accountable structure than it does today. Metrolinx would need to have the ability to use funding instruments to pay for transit without recourse to the province or the city (road tells, local sales tax, etc). Local transit services would be operated using the Translink model of subsidiary corporations/divisions in different areas, with local offices handling route and schedule planning and operations in those areas. The goal should not be to centralize everything at 20 Bay.

If it's just a matter of transfer it up so that the City doesn't have to pay for it, then, no. The goal needs to be to provide substainable revenue sources for operations and service improvements, and to provide greater coordination across the region (e.g. eliminate artificial barriers in service).

yes or no?

Until you have a provincial government that is even remotely interested in taking on the TTC burden, you might as well be asking 'yes or no' to the province running garbage pickup, water services, the fire department or any other operation draining cash from the municipal government.

I don't think the ultimate control of the TTC matters much as long as the day to day operation is still in the hands of the current serially incompetent management.

As much as I hate how politics dictate how we get transit in this city. I have a hard time believing the province will do better. The fact is that the province hates Toronto probably even more so then the rest of the country.. Every cent that would come into our system would be fought very hard by out of towners. As a result Im not sure how much more money or tranist we would get out of them anyway.. It makes far more sense to me that Toronto actually Antes Up and put tolls on to cover the cost of new infrastructure and operation of the system.. It seems like this is only a matter of time. I wish Sarah Thomson had Won.

Let Metrolinx Have The Subways

I think the solution would be to have Metrolinx have the subways since they are now beginning to cross city lines and act more as a "regional carrier". In addition, it would bring better analysis as to whether GO Express Rail should serve a node or the Subway should.

It would also free the TTC up to focus on local surface transit like their streetcars and busses, and reduce the size of the organization, hopefully making it more manageable.

Are you asking if this will happen or if it shoiuld happen?

I'd like to see all operations end up with Metrolinx, but with several caveats. Metrolinx would need to have a more accountable structure than it does today. Metrolinx would need to have the ability to use funding instruments to pay for transit without recourse to the province or the city (road tells, local sales tax, etc). Local transit services would be operated using the Translink model of subsidiary corporations/divisions in different areas, with local offices handling route and schedule planning and operations in those areas. The goal should not be to centralize everything at 20 Bay.

If it's just a matter of transfer it up so that the City doesn't have to pay for it, then, no. The goal needs to be to provide substainable revenue sources for operations and service improvements, and to provide greater coordination across the region (e.g. eliminate artificial barriers in service).

Should happen.

I think there's something to be said for giving Metrolinx authority over the TTC to some extent. But it shouldn't be a cost-dumping measure, it should arise from a practical need.

Similarly, Transit City may have been flawed and in need of rejigging but replacing one drawn-on-a-napkin plan with another is no kind of plan at all. People prefer subways to LRT (which they've never seen) and I'd bet they'd prefer having their own hovercars even more - so what?

The TTC needs to think more regionally, IMHO, but passing the buck to free up budget space is not the way to make that happen. (And the idea the province would take on such a money loser, AND in an election year is pretty nutty....)

I would support Metrolinx getting authority over the TTC, however I do have some reservations. While we currently have an anti-transit mayor with Rob Ford, we have had an anti-transit premier with Mike Harris but usually they were occasionally pro-transit premiers like Bill Davis. It maybe better if Metrolinx had representatives on the TTC board, along with representatives from the city. A 50-50 representation maybe better, but with the addition of transit-literal civilians as well.

I support this so that the TTC can get some sustainable funding and enact a long-term transit-building strategy that doesn't change every time a new mayor gets elected. It should be apolitical and unbiased and focussed on curbing car usage by improving public transit and making it easier for people to get by without cars.

For example, me. I wish I didn't have to drive at all.

Metrolinx should take over just the subway lines/alrt/proposed lrt lines from toronto and allow buses to remain in local hands...but it doesnt just end at the TTC...

Metrolinx should also take jurisdiction over each and every region's rapid transit system current or proposed...VIVA, Zum, MiExpress

This would make sure that areas that lack service get service while areas with too much service (viva/zum duplicating service along hwy 7 24/7) can be adjusted reasonably.

Mississauga and Brampton have shown us how working together on their LRT plan is a major regional benefit. Imagine if that extended across the GTA...

GO Transit riders can tap their presto card at TTC Stations and use the train for a $1.00 surcharge for example.
Subway riders at Downsview station can board a VIVA Orange bus for a $1.00 fare zone...

There are countless ways that this would help but the main point is... all rapid lines should be under metrolinx while local bus/streetcar service should remain in local hands.

This is how they do it in Los Angeles...If im not mistaken...

My theory is...If fare boundaries in Toronto made sense, 905 commuters would be more inclined to make the switch to transit because they would no longer be punished to cross Steeles Ave.

^ If province takes over TTC subway, LRT, Zum, Mi Express, why not Waterloo LRT, Hamilton LRT, Ottawa Transitway as well? Doesn't make sense.

I support this so that the TTC can get some sustainable funding

Is the TTC the only transit system in Ontario with funding issues? I don't really understand this proposal. TTC already gets ~$150 million in gax tax money each year from the province. The province start paying 100% of the costs of the TTC operations, why not 100% of the cost of MT, OC Transpo, etc? Even if province paying 100% the costs was actually a good idea, would giving the province total control be necessary for that idea to be implemented?

^ If province takes over TTC subway, LRT, Zum, Mi Express, why not Waterloo LRT, Hamilton LRT, Ottawa Transitway as well? Doesn't make sense.

Hamilton LRT...YES for sure.

Waterloo LRT...Can be Argued YES since it will be connected to GO Transit. NO because it'is not part of Presto.

Ottawa Transitway...NO. Completely different region...They need their own inter-provincial solution like metrolinx so that regional travel between Gatineau and Ottawa is seamless. I also have no idea why Ontario decided to roll out Presto in Ottawa when the real solution there should be a farecard that works on both sides of the border...no point in putting a GTA solution in Ottawa...nobody wins. Its like starting a GO Transit in Ottawa that does not connect to Toronto... What would be the point of that?

GO = Government of Ontairo. No reason for GO not to be in Ottaway or anywhere else in the province.

Back