News   Apr 16, 2024
 546     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 433     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 791     0 

Condo Upgrade: Cost of Gas Line for BBQ on Balcony?

UrbanVigor

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is the general cost that builders charge for a balcony natural gas line for BBQs?

Does anyone have any upgrade price lists they can share?

Does the Toronto Fire Code actually allow gas (or any) BBQs on balconies? I though they were only allowed on terraces with no overhang above.)

You need a gas line hookup. I believe the issue is gas tanks in the elevators aren' allowed.

Many developments do not offer natural gas lines to balconies as an extra cost option (high-end and penthouse units are often the exception).
If the building has gas ranges in its units than most likely gas lines could be added to balconies. Otherwise it would be too complex and expensive to add extra gas lines.

I came across a couple developments that has gas lines to balconies as an option but it was about an $2500-$4000 upgrade.

Propane BBQ's on balconies are against fire code, as propane tanks over a litre in capacity (the size of a camping stove gas tank) are prohibited to be stored or transported through a building, especially elevators.

Does the Toronto Fire Code actually allow gas (or any) BBQs on balconies? I though they were only allowed on terraces with no overhang above.)
As others have said, the issue is with bringing the propane tanks through the common area. Other rules are dependent on the condo board. Some only allow for terraces.

There is an ever-increasing range of options for condos with new electric bbqs; much different than the old ones. It only makes sense -- it's a huge, growing market -- so manufacturers are responding.

I upgraded at 55 Stewart - gas line to the stove and balcony was ~$3500. Individually, it would have been ~$2300 for each upgrade. I'm on the top floor, so I'm not sure if lower floors were given the opportunity as well... It's definitely a nice-to-have!

My complex would not allow any BBQ on the balconies if there was a balcony above it, regardless if the BBQ was natural gas or propane, or charcoal for that matter. I had one, but that's only because I had a townhouse with a rooftop terrace, with a gas line there.

The rules for propane tanks on balconies are actually far more obtuse than most people think. You CAN transport propane through the common elements of the building and can use an elevator, but you must be alone in the elevator at the time, there must be a certain distance, etc.. Most condos don't allow them because of height issues (and increases to fire insurance) - there must be a certain amount of distance between you and the person above you, etc.... it all gets really "red tapey" and so in the end people just give the easiest answer. Canadian Tire just had a great sale on the CNE20 electric grill which heats itself to over 500f so you can actually BBQ with it. I think it was only $100 or so.

Back