News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

opinions please

asiancolossus

Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't scan this in properly before I hope that I can get some opinions on this unit.

Thanks!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 855
asiancolossus,

What kind of opinion are you looking for? Is it the price? the Sqft compared to others?

Its in the "Regent Park" area which is undergoing a "cleansing" of sorts...

A lot of the space is taken up by storage, the mechanical room, laundry room, and the long hallway, so you are ended up with much less real living area.
I would be concerned about being on the ground floor in Regent Park with only street access. Looks like the storage rooms maybe spaces underneith walkup stairs to the units above? If so, than those storage room is not as large and usable as it seems (having a sloped ceiling)
Is this unit slightly below grade? If so, than natural light could be an issue (especially when you have those stairs infront of your unit), and it will hurt the resale value as it will give it a basement feel.

The breakfast area next to the kitchen is rediculously tiny (you could put a table there but could only sit on one side). I would have the kitchen cabinets stretch the entire length of that wall instead.

How much is this unit? Unless it is extremely cheap and you are buying it for your own use, I would avoid this unit plan.

Thanks guys for your opinion. I did think the floor plan was very odd when I first saw it but when I actually saw it, there is a lot of usable space. To address the issues, the reason for the storage is stairs up to the second floor. Yes I realize this is "missed space" but its actually quite large, I enjoy having more storage. The unit is not below ground, it is very very bright actually. The breakfast area is bigger than the floor plan gives it credit for and is probably the biggest out of all the one bedroom plans. I will be getting a security system because it is on the ground floor. Unit was less than 400 per square feet. I know its Regent Park. It is quite the polarizing subject of the dangers of living there. I'm well aware of the risks of investing here. I am very impressed with the quality of Daniel's handywork. Stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, glass backsplash, hardwood floors throughout, 9 foot ceilings, they even threw in blinds.

asiancolossus,

The important thing is that the "floor plan" works for you regardless of the forums opinion. We all have different taste and style and that is what make this industry exciting. Regent Park isn't that bad, I grew up near it and I managed to survive! ;-)

asiancolossus,

The important thing is that the "floor plan" works for you regardless of the forums opinion. We all have different taste and style and that is what make this industry exciting. Regent Park isn't that bad, I grew up near it and I managed to survive! ;-)

Thanks Willy for your support. I am one of those who honestly believes in the potential of the Regent Park area. Its a stones throw away from the Eaton Centre and I trust the builder. The townhouse unit is actually one of the more beautiful builds I've seen lately. Two blocks to the west and this would be 600 per square foot easy. Location location location as they say. I'd rather take a chance here than the dense downtown core at 600 to 700 per square feet right now. Floor plan is NOT ideal for sure. But there is something I like about having the living room and kitchen separated from the bedroom instead of a typical shoebox (which does give more usable space granted)...

Sure, it's different, but I think it's a fine floor plan. It's good liveable space with *exceptional* storage that I think will definitely be appreciated when you move in. It's a surprising floor plan, but in a good way.

The bedroom is large, the living/dining room has it's limits, but the dimensions make it very easy to work with. I agree with nuehaus to an extent on the kitchen. If you could make it a C-shaped kitchen along the walls and eliminate the breakfast bar that will open things up and create more space for a dining area. Even still, it's a pretty good floor plan.

I think it would be a bicyclist's dream with the two outdoor storage rooms and there's certainly no need to buy a locker with this unit.

The only *real* problem with this floor plan? No closet at the entryway. Looks like it's around the corner in the hallway. Is there potential to make an entryway closet using the storage area behind that closet? Of course, that encroaches on the living area. A coat rack will do, I think. When you have guests, you'll have to carry coats around the corner, but that's not day-to-day and not a big deal.

Overall, I like it.

Sure, it's different, but I think it's a fine floor plan. It's good liveable space with *exceptional* storage that I think will definitely be appreciated when you move in. It's a surprising floor plan, but in a good way.

The bedroom is large, the living/dining room has it's limits, but the dimensions make it very easy to work with. I agree with nuehaus to an extent on the kitchen. If you could make it a C-shaped kitchen along the walls and eliminate the breakfast bar that will open things up and create more space for a dining area. Even still, it's a pretty good floor plan.

I think it would be a bicyclist's dream with the two outdoor storage rooms and there's certainly no need to buy a locker with this unit.

The only *real* problem with this floor plan? No closet at the entryway. Looks like it's around the corner in the hallway. Is there potential to make an entryway closet using the storage area behind that closet? Of course, that encroaches on the living area. A coat rack will do, I think. When you have guests, you'll have to carry coats around the corner, but that's not day-to-day and not a big deal.

Overall, I like it.

Thanks so much urbanvigor, you made my day! I did expect some serious critiques from thiis board, and I respect everyone's opinion, whether it be good or bad, as long as its respectful and well thought out. Yes the bedroom is quite big, the main problem as my realtor has told me, is that if there was some way of making a den or small second bedroom, it would go for a lot more rentwise. But the layout is such that this is not possible. I agree with you 100% re: lack of entryway closet. The two areas of storage behind both closets are huge crawl spaces about half the height of the front of the closet so it wouldn't be suitable for a closet near the front door. On the plus side and another thing I was impressed with, is that they didn't just leave that crawl space with a cement floor, it has hardwood all the way it, which I really appreciate. I'll just have to buy a hook near the front door or get a rack like you say. The breakfast area would ideally fit a L shaped breakfast table, but its not too bad. I do like the breakfast bar actually, the granite is a nice touch.

Reasons I bought this place, Daniels, great interiors with standard upgrade, the awesome appearance of the townhouse from the outside, and the Regent Park possible potential. I could be dead wrong, and when and if that possibility comes to pass, then I'll admit it and move on.

Thanks again! :)

I quite like this floor plan as well. One of the biggest shortcomings with lots of condos is a lack of storage. This unit has lots of storage plus a laundry room (not just a laundry closet). My only real criticism is that you walk directly into the living room from the outside - ie no foyer and all and no entry closet. The other issue is being on the ground floor. Might not be that bad if there is a fence of some sort and the unit is not too close to a busy street.

I quite like this floor plan as well. One of the biggest shortcomings with lots of condos is a lack of storage. This unit has lots of storage plus a laundry room (not just a laundry closet). My only real criticism is that you walk directly into the living room from the outside - ie no foyer and all and no entry closet. The other issue is being on the ground floor. Might not be that bad if there is a fence of some sort and the unit is not too close to a busy street.

Thanks catapult. I appreciate your input. The fact there is no foyer could be a good or bad thing. Good thing is that it gives a more open feel, bad thing is that you walk right into the living room like you said. There WILL be a gate in front, hasn't been put in yet. It is on a side street, so I don't think it should be too bad. I really stressed about the ground floor unit thing. However, as an investment, I was hesitant about buying a unit in the multilevel condo with around 375 dollars per month in maintenance/amenities vs 150 per month for no amenities. I figure if I cannot rent it out for some reason, my cost basis will at least be a lot less per month. However, I'm still pretty stressed about the possibility of a breakin as it is ground floor. Trying to figure out what security company to use. I posted on the forum but only got one response.

Yes the bedroom is quite big, the main problem as my realtor has told me, is that if there was some way of making a den or small second bedroom, it would go for a lot more rentwise. But the layout is such that this is not possible.

Sure, two bedrooms go for more rent. But that's irrelevant and your realtor should've showed you 2 bedroom units if that was a requirement. This is a 1 bedroom unit and a decent one at that. Creating some sort of den would take away from it.

I agree with you 100% re: lack of entryway closet. The two areas of storage behind both closets are huge crawl spaces about half the height of the front of the closet so it wouldn't be suitable for a closet near the front door. On the plus side and another thing I was impressed with, is that they didn't just leave that crawl space with a cement floor, it has hardwood all the way it, which I really appreciate. I'll just have to buy a hook near the front door or get a rack like you say.

Hmmm... I was thinking even if it is just crawl space, you could still make a very workable entryway. What about installing some built in shelving into that crawl space for shoes. Above that, you could have one of those multi-coat hangers (multiple pegs). Or a coat rack in the corner with a mirror above the shoe shelving. Voila! An against the wall "foyer" as you walk in.

Interesting idea urbanvigor! I went back to my building today after work and the crawl space is actually quite wide. It might look a bit odd to poke a hole in it on the side. For a crawl space its pretty big! Thats an awesome thought though!

Interesting idea urbanvigor! I went back to my building today after work and the crawl space is actually quite wide. It might look a bit odd to poke a hole in it on the side. For a crawl space its pretty big! Thats an awesome thought though!

can u attach a picture of what it looks like?
you may consider installing bi-fold doors and make it into a walk-in foyer closet, which i'm sure would be really appreciated since this unit appears to be lacking one.

Back