Toronto Minto30Roe Condos | 113.08m | 34s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

Observer Walt

Member Bio
Reaction score
The sale of 30 Roehampton Avenue has been reported. This is the parking lot on the north side of the street, just east of Yonge Street and immediately to the west of the North Toronto Collegiate property. The purchaser is Minto. The property is almost square (193 feet x 190 feet), with frontage on Roehampton only.

The sale price was $18,400,000, equivalent to $502 per square foot of site area.

This is only the parking lot correct ? Yea I'm sure - as to the west i.e. fronting Yonge street is 9 story office building (a nice one actually).

Wow, 18 million! That's higher then I would have thought. It's not a huge site but it could still fit 1 / 2 condos.

There are no houses in the area - mainly condos / rental building. The ones in the immediate area are not very tall 4-10 stories. So I'm curious what they could get away with height wise.

40+ storeys, fingers crossed. Wow, Yonge and Eg is really blowing up quickly. Those old boxy apt buildings have really got to go, though, and some new office towers are much needed to diversify the skyline in the area.

40+ storeys, fingers crossed. Wow, Yonge and Eg is really blowing up quickly. Those old boxy apt buildings have really got to go, though, and some new office towers are much needed to diversify the skyline in the area.

No way ... maybe 20-25 max I think. I'd love 40 though :)

Back in the day there was a proposal for a 30 story office building but I doubt that will / did materilize. It was part of the TTC lot redevelopment.

I believe the lot is the one outlined in yellow.

I always felt that someone has slowly been assembling the area in green - does anyone have any knowledge on this?

RoehamptoncondosbyMinto.jpg

I do believe its possible a developer is assembling the land you have squared off in green. IT is in the general plan for the area to built a large (500ft approx.) building in exactly that spot. I think it was supposed to be office, but not sure if it would end up being office, with quite a few office proposals going on downtown at the moment. My guess would be for highrise condo if zoning and official plan allowed. Whether or not the city will see a large condo on the corner as legally permissible, I am not sure. That's MikeinTO's department.

This how tall can you build is silly, I just dont see why they cannot build upwards in this part of uptown, when in reality 100-130-160 meter buildings already exist.:confused:

Last edited:
I would hate that area in green to go. That's a very vibrant strip of retail.

Very much agreed. That area is great fore retail but considering the area, I am doubtful if built that great retail wouldn't move back in, the rents are just too high profile at that block for it to be just drycleaners and other crap.

Unfortunately, that strip in toto is likely too commonplace for "heritage", too, so if you want to save it, figure something else out. (But the fact that it's endured for so long at this urbanistically pregnant location really counts as a disarming urban fluke.)

The total consideration was actually $24,400,000 ($18,400,000 cash + $6,000,000 other considerations). Minto will be building 250,000 square feet or more here, depending on their negotiations with the city. Part of the deal is for them to build a 150 space underground parking garage at their own cost. There is a staff report available on the City website that details this complicated deal.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-32713.pdf

Big Daddy: Yes, the recent sale is the property which you have outlined in yellow (present parking lot). I can't see any evidence of an assembly taking place in the area you have outlined in green. No properties on this block have been sold in the last several years, and ownerships are fragmented. But I agree with you that this block (the portion of it fronting Yonge) would be a prime candidate for something built to a higher density, if an assembly could be achieved.

Back