Mississauga Cycling Master Plan

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's finally out!

The report:
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/trails/masterplan

Map of the proposed network:
http://www5.mississauga.ca/rec&park...roposed_mississauga_cycling_route_network.pdf

Kind of suck imo. I don't understand the point of having off road route along minor arterials like Creditview and Thomas, especially with such a narrow boulevard. Roads like these aren't that wide/busy, they should have on-read bike lanes, not boulevard paths. For boulevard path, a corridor like Mavis would make far more sense, but of course Mavis is part of the network as planned. No continuous bike paths along the Credit River or Lake Ontario either. Lots of other problems. And to think this will take estimated 20 years to complete, wow.

Edit: Updated url. Crossed out stupid opinions.

Last edited:
While I would love to see the Waterfront Trail and the Credit Valley trail complete; I think its worth saying if they build out what's proposed here, it would be an enormous improvement.

Its also worth adding that I had a close look on Google Maps (Sat view) and the missing links of the both those trails cross the back yards of many (dozens) of properties.

While it might be possible in few cases along the Credit to only do a 'partial' property take (boy would the owners love that) ......in most cases there is simply not enough room to do anything but wholesale expropriation.

While in theory, I would be supportive of that, particularly for the Waterfront Trail; let's not kid anyone that would be controversial, to put it mildly, and prohibitively expensive.

There is also the build-around option (infill) but I wouldn't expect that to be much cheaper or less controversial.

I'm not sure what the those waterfront homes would be worth, but I'd imagine well north of the $500,000 mark for most, you multiply that by say, 40 properties, that adds up.

Still, I'd support it. But that can be fought over in a decade, when and if, the rest of this plan has come to fruition.

And I think it's absolutely wonderful!
A truly titanic improvement over what exists now.
I'm happy to live in Mississauga, because I feel that we are trying to correct our mistakes... that we haven't given up on ourselves.
I feel confident in saying that Mississauga will be the trend-setting leader of GTA suburbs.

I don't understand how one can see this map and still complain. Perhaps a year or two in a third-world country will bring things into perspective.

Optimistic patience is a much more healthy way to live and deal with the world.
People who always perceive efforts as thwarted and disappointing will eventually become so numb in their frustration that they will eventually lose the meaning of what is feels like to be satisfied. Such people will always be insisting on a one-fell-swoop approach, never thankful and never learning that progress is, unfashionably and laboriously, a series of small incremental improvements over a long period of time, resulting from evolving mindsets arrived at by mutual consensuses through education and awareness.

Obstacles previously thought impenetrable such as the Petro-Canada lubricant centre, the Mississauga Golf and Country Club, and the Queensway/Blythe corridor are all dared.
Two big and important gaps in the David Culham trail along the Credit River are closed.
Previous missed opportunities are corrected with the Stavebank tunnel and the Mineola/Indian connections, just to name a couple.
New cross-city corridors are forged with the Hydro One and 403 trails.
Virtually every arterial is involved.

Oakville has many instances of public narrow gravel trails running alongside the lake just next to the backyards of waterfront houses. See Carrington, Chancery, and Shelburne promenades.
There are some more ideas for them to take into consideration: http://www.mississaugalife.ca/2014/06/the-missing-links/

What I see here in this map is absolutely staggering... a quantum leap. I'm very excited!
I actually just saw this map today.

I don't remember making this thread. I have to retract my complaints. The city and region has actually been very aggressive building this network They built many off-road paths since this thread was made, like Creditview and Britannia and Mavis in my area, faster than I expect. But still few Crossrides so far. At least they didn't install too many of those dumb "STOP. CYCLISTS DISMOUNT. WALK BICYCLE ACROSS ROADWAY." signs.

"I haveto retract my complaints. The city andregion has actually been very aggressive building this network"

Being willing to revise your stance and criticize yourself is a sign of maturity and civility. It's big of you.
I take my hat off respectfully to you and I apologize if my comments hurt your feelings ☺

I hope you understand my point of view: there are many things that our city did and does wrong, but the answer is never to be a toxic curmudgeon heaping scorn and telling people to get out of Mississauga like some do here.
Help it! Do something constructive.

I think I should treat cities the way I would treat a misguided kid: be aware of their great potential and capacity to change drastically for the better... guide them firmly but compassionately... never beat on them too much lest you rob their confidence and self esteem.

What I like about Mississauga is that it's a suburb that is trying not to be. I don't know if it will be successful, but I would like to be enlisted on the "yes" camp and at least give it a try.

Good afternoon,

I apologize if this has already been posted before. The search function did not yield anything.

As per the Mississauga Cycling Master Plan posted above, my city is working on a new pedestrian walkway across the Credit River underneath the QEW bridge, as well as a pedestrian bridge over and across the QEW linking both segments of Stavebank road.

Please find the details here:

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/credit-river-active-transportation

Back