News   Apr 17, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Merry Christmas from Transit City!

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
My Sketchup renderings of how Sheppard Avenue East and Birchmount Road in Scarborough might look like if the Sheppard East LRT is built.

I was thinking that since all the crude Transit City renderings out there only depict the line during the summer, maybe it's time to look at Transit City during the winter, with all the overcrowding, bunching up of LRVs, and the passenger frustration!

You might have guessed that I am pro-subway... and I am. But if you are pro-Transit City and want to use these renderings, feel free to take them.

Consider this my Christmas gift to UT...Merry Christmas!

5288365563_5132a34bdc_o.jpg

5288968974_ea933cd962_o.jpg

5288365843_7d7242a60b_o.jpg

5288969190_d0564db82f_o.jpg

5288969328_06c5d5ef3d_o.jpg

5288969500_9f8abbdb4e_o.jpg

5288969598_53e823d481_o.jpg

5288366463_ea8044195e_o.jpg

Ha! That's a pretty good depiction of how it would really be. To make it look really realistic, don't forget to add salt and slush covered platforms and a LRV caked in winter grime.

The pics omit all the ugly overhead wires that would be a real eyesore.

You mean the ugly overhead eyesore wires like this?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...id=2JHU54CiPXlqqZ8g5Q_8gA&cbp=12,90.8,,0,0.24

Compared to Bathurst where they haven't buried the regular hydro lines, do you not see much of a difference?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...d=KoDnOTRCIxOD710I2ld4dA&cbp=12,148.7,,0,9.58

Just look at all the eyesore here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...d=xgHqwjaUXxWswWREub4u1g&cbp=12,6.26,,0,13.34

These renderings look like St. Clair don't they? I thought people said St. Clair wasn't a TC prototype?

These renderings look like St. Clair don't they? I thought people said St. Clair wasn't a TC prototype?

We were getting very mixed messages about Transit City. We were told that it was nothing like streetcars, while the advertisements showed pictures of St. Clair and Spadina. We were also simultaneously told that LRVs are streetcars, and they are not streetcars.

Comparing St. Clair and Spadina to Sheppard doesn't really make that much sense, as they are completely different environments in key elements such as intersection spacing, density of development, cycling and pedestrian traffic and auto dependency.

What is a mystery to me is why the TTC seems to be unaware that they possess an LRT line very similar to the proposed Transit City lines on The Queensway. I'm consistently impressed with how fast streetcars can go when given a chance (and when drivers ignore the ridiculous 7km/h speed limit through intersections). Had the Queensway been presented as the poster child, rather than St. Clair, people might have been more supportive of Transit City.

Many of the great suburban LRT systems such as those in Calgary, Edmonton and Los Angeles are essentially built as subways, except with level crossings. Unfortunately, the designs the TTC put forward for the Transit City lines (apart from Eglinton tunnel and the Scarborough LRT extension) were simply minor improvements over St. Clair and Spadina.

As for the renderings, they look a lot like St. Clair because Wyliepoon clearly used the St. Clair design for stops.

hmmm...well not in terms of the time it took, but definitly in terms of the end result. They did a grade A job on that street once all was/is said and done. And Sorry but overall, Transit city services much more than one stupid uselss subway on a street with no density out to scarborough. The ridership will never meet what is needed on sheppard for a subway. Transit city, while it doesn't have the pizazz that a subway has, it contains many lines, serving most of Toronto, including poorer areas that actually need transit more than most. Subways are needed too, but in areas that can support one, like downtown, eglinton, and near the harbour. There aren't many places in Toronto that could support a real subway, we are still simply too spread out. Ford has no idea what he is doing. As everyone has stating, we all love subways, but seriously, given fiscal situations the province and city have, we should really implement transit city now. I don't want to wait another decade for a functional subway going another 5 to 7 stops. (And you can count the feds out with helping us either way, unless they are ousted for a more city centric government.)

hmmm...well not in terms of the time it took, but definitly in terms of the end result. They did a grade A job on that street once all was/is said and done. And Sorry but overall, Transit city services much more than one stupid uselss subway on a street with no density out to scarborough. The ridership will never meet what is needed on sheppard for a subway. Transit city, while it doesn't have the pizazz that a subway has, it contains many lines, serving most of Toronto, including poorer areas that actually need transit more than most. Subways are needed too, but in areas that can support one, like downtown, eglinton, and near the harbour. There aren't many places in Toronto that could support a real subway, we are still simply too spread out. Ford has no idea what he is doing. As everyone has stating, we all love subways, but seriously, given fiscal situations the province and city have, we should really implement transit city now. I don't want to wait another decade for a functional subway going another 5 to 7 stops. (And you can count the feds out with helping us either way, unless they are ousted for a more city centric government.)

I don't really get what is wrong with Spadina since I see the streetcars coming as in within a minute or two, but then again, I haven't been in rush hour other than the beginning of PM rush

If I have faith in anything, it's in Ford transferring the Sheppard East LRT money to a Sheppard East subway from the Feds if not the province.

Back