News   Apr 23, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 979     0 

Obituary - George Vari, Developer

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Who knew that the developer behind La Tour Montparnasse in Paris was a Toronto resident. He died a few days ago in Toronto.

From Wikipedia;

George William Vari, PC, CM (August 14, 1923 – December 9, 2010)[1] was a Canadian based developer and philanthropist. A civil engineer and economist, Vari emigrated to Canada following the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.

Vari made his fortune in international real estate development, building Paris' Tour Montparnasse, six of the pavilions at Expo 1967 in Montreal, and Moscow's Hotel Cosmos.[1] He was renowned for his outstanding record in philanthropy, particularly in the field of educational institutions, making significant endowments to Ryerson University, York University and the University of Toronto. York's Vari Hall is named after him, as are various scholarships and awards at these institutions.[citation needed] Ryerson University renamed the Centre for Computing and Engineering (opened in 2004) to The George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre following a $5 million donation.

Vari and his wife operated the George and Helen Vari Foundation as a vehicle for much of their charitable works in Canada and internationally.

In 1992, Vari was named to the Security Intelligence Review Committee and, as a result, became a member of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada entitled to be addressed as "The Honourable". He was also named to the Order of Canada; both he and his wife have been appointed to France's Legion d'Honneur.

I read that in the Star. I heard of him over the years and knew he was philanthropist, i had no idea that's how he made his fortune

Back