News   Mar 28, 2024
 374     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 310     0 

Subway Extension to STC or Sheppard East LRT?

Which would you choose, a subway (replacing the SRT) to STC or a Sheppard East LRT?

• Total voters

Dan416

Member Bio
Reaction score
Which would you choose?

Just to be clear, the subway extension I'm referring to is replacing the SRT with a subway extension to STC along a new alignment, hitting Lawrence East and then Scarborough Centre.

To the best of my knowledge, the option to replace the SRT with subway is $600 million more than replacing the SRT with LRT.

This poll assumes we cancel the SELRT and use that money to build the subway extension to STC.

Last edited:
sheppard Subway or Bloor Extension????????????

BLoor extension Vs Sheppard East LRT? Bloor extension

Sheppard Subway VS Sheppard LRT? Price isnt compable Im going with LRT

The option that has a realistic chance of happing within the next decade, LRT

A subway is simply not going to happen, nor is it worth the money to build or operate.

EDIT, seems I read and posted to soon, The BD Subway to STC of course, but a more comparable Subway alternative to the planned SRT extension would be bringing the subway up to McCowan and Sheppard, which would cost significantly more.

Last edited:
sheppard Subway or Bloor Extension????????????

BLoor extension Vs Sheppard East LRT? Bloor extension

Sheppard Subway VS Sheppard LRT? Price isnt compable Im going with LRT

I edited my initial post to be more clear, but the poll options are correct.

Not sure how the question makes sense.

Would one prefer a $2-bilion subway to a $1-billion LRT?

Well yeah, who wouldn't.

The question be revenue neutral, or else you'll get bias

Not sure how the question makes sense.

Would one prefer a $2-bilion subway to a $1-billion LRT?

Well yeah, who wouldn't.

The question be revenue neutral, or else you'll get bias

It is more than revenue neutral. The TTC said to go from replacing the SRT with LRT to replacing the SRT with subway costs an additional $600 million. The $1 billion SELRT more than pays for that.

It is more than revenue neutral. The TTC said to go from replacing the SRT with LRT to replacing the SRT with subway costs an additional $600 million. The $1 billion SELRT more than pays for that.
The poll doesn't mention the possibility of replacing the SRT with LRT.

So the quesion you meant was

"Poll: Which would you choose, a subway (replacing the SRT) to STC or a Sheppard East LRT and the Transit City LRT for SRT replacement and extension to Markham/Sheppard."

Hmm, 22 km of LRT and 32 new stations or 6 km of subway with 1 new station (but eliminating 4 existing ones).

Though you should spend that extra $400 million to pay for about 80% of the cost to extend it to McCowan/Sheppard.

Last edited:
No, I'm not referring to replacing the SRT with LRT. All these polls lately have been one option or the other, so I followed the same format. Would you rather keep the SELRT, or use that money to replace the SRT with a subway rather than LRT.

Whether the extra $400 million should go to McCowan & Sheppard? I don't know. That's an option to be sure.

There isn't enough money in the SELRT to replace the SRT with subway.

The SELRT = $1 billion

Additional amount over that budgeted for the SRT replacement with LRT is $600 million. $600 million < $1 billion.

The SELRT = $1 billion

Additional amount over that budgeted for the SRT replacement with LRT is $600 million. $600 million < $1 billion.
I asked if the poll question should include both the SELRT and the SRT LRT and you said "No, I'm not referring to replacing the SRT with LRT". Now you are trying to use that money.

The poll question doesn't make sense.

sheppard east LRT. The revised subway to stc will only have a few stops that won't really do much in the way of rejuvenating the area. Atleast the sheppard LRT will meet up with the GO line and in the future meet up with scarborough malvern LRT and the Scarborough RT extension.

Subway extension to STC. No brainer. Any Scarborough resident will tell you that. If they don't replace the SRT, there will be no rail service to STC at all. Unacceptable.

For Scarborough, the SRT replacement is priority above all else.

Subway extension to STC. No brainer. Any Scarborough resident will tell you that. If they don't replace the SRT, there will be no rail service to STC at all. Unacceptable.
Not true ... rail service would continue to STC on the SRT. With LRT Scarborough would have dozens of new stations. With subway extension they would have 1 new station and the closure of 4 existing ones. That's an awful lot of people who won't have nearby stations with just the subway.

Back