News   Mar 28, 2024
 126     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 184     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 251     0 

Which would you choose: Sheppard Subway Extension or Sheppard Crosstown LRT?

Which would you choose: Sheppard Subway Extension or Sheppard Crosstown LRT?

• Total voters

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
Which would you choose: Sheppard East Subway Extension or Sheppard Crosstown LRT?

please pay close attention here:

pretend we live in a mayoralty where centre road median ROW LRTs are permissible. if you had to choose between extending the sheppard subway east to STC or converting the existing sheppard subway line to handle LRT technology & having the rest of sheppard with a centre road median ROW LRT, effectively creating a seamless sheppard crosstown route from STC in the east to weston road or beyond in the west, which would you choose? sheppard east subway extension? or sheppard crosstown LRT?

Last edited:
Although the seamless crosstown option is attractive, my experience of LRT cars is that they are designed to induce claustrophobia and won't accommodate future growth. My vote would be for subway extension.

Although the seamless crosstown option is attractive, my experience of LRT cars is that they are designed to induce claustrophobia and won't accommodate future growth. My vote would be for subway extension.

You are afraid that LRVs induce clausterphobia so your alternative is subways? LRTs are ouside almost all the time and have large windows. Subways spend most of their time in confined concrete tunnels that are rather dark.

You are afraid that LRVs induce clausterphobia so your alternative is subways? LRTs are ouside almost all the time and have large windows. Subways spend most of their time in confined concrete tunnels that are rather dark.

I was only given one of two alternatives to choose from. The width and seating space of subway cars are clearly more spacious and that's where it matters (to me). It's just a poll. I expressed a preference.

Interesting opinion because the LRT vehicles built for transit city are about the same width as the NYC subway and less claustrophobic than the London Underground cars.

please pay close attention here:

pretend we live in a mayoralty where centre road median ROW LRTs are permissible. if you had to choose between extending the sheppard subway east to STC or converting the existing sheppard subway line to handle LRT technology & having the rest of sheppard with a centre road median ROW LRT, effectively creating a seamless sheppard crosstown route from STC in the east to weston road or beyond in the west, which would you choose? sheppard east subway extension? or sheppard crosstown LRT?

Nice wording... This is what happens all too often with internet polls. LRT gets the nicely sounding "seamless crosstown route." How about throwing in some benefits to your other option (faster trip for the busiest part of the route, no expensive down-conversion of technology) and maybe some other options (leave as is or BRT to the east)? I'm not holding this against you, it's still a decent question and will get an interesting (although maybe repeated by now) discussion. But it's pretty clear where you stand from the way you expressed the question, and you could have spured more discussion with a few more options.

Either way, I voted for the subway. While I, like most people, think it was premature building a subway there in the first, I don't think spending money to downgrade it is a smart move. There's more important transit improvements that the city needs, so if I had the option, I'd say leave Sheppard for now, or at most extend west to Downsview. BRT east of Don Mills could be a very good cost-effective alternative to LRT.

My way is the subway.

There will be no transit city of 2.7 million people without subway lines. LRT is a great solution for bringing faster surface transit to really distant places that have no chance of seeing a subway and for moving people to subway lines. The central area of a big metropolis needs grade-separated transit along its entire length, not grade separation along some of the length. We've forgotten our subway building needs. Even where there's demand like downtown we're build them. We need to get the ball rolling again.

Extend the subway to Consumers Road now and finish it to SCC at a later date.

+1

The subway is there already. I can't support a change of mode, particularly where the change of mode comes with a line aimed at the zoo instead of STC.

I support incremental extension of the subway, even if it takes 3-5 decades.

Interesting wording indeed to support your opinion but we will have to learn to live with the Sheppard Subway! It is not going anywhere!

Even if the next Mayor of Toronto is Adam Vaughan (whom I like), he would say, 'we have the subway, we have to live with it, how do we make it better?' Also, to spend money to downgrade a line and then spend money to potentially upgrade it in the future is not something many people would be in favour of.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind: The terms 'light' rail and 'heavy' rail is becoming a non-issue. Take a look at what Bombardier offers for Stockholm.

Heavy rail
Light rail

The trains are the exact same width! The only real differences is that their subway trains have an extra articulation and use a third rail to supply power.

Nice wording... This is what happens all too often with internet polls. LRT gets the nicely sounding "seamless crosstown route."

the purpose wasn't to make it sound nicer. i used the phrase "seamless crosstown route" so that people wouldn't get confused and think there would be transfers and to explain the distance of this thing. i didn't want people to have any confusion with the current SELRT project. if anything, subway extension always sounds nicer than LRT. the subway is seamless as well but i think that's pretty self explanatory with "subway extension".

p.s, i still haven't voted as my mind is still not made up one way or the other.

Converting the Sheppard subway to LRT makes about as much sense as demolishing a room in your house because you don't need it anymore. It costs (a lot of ) money and then you have less room to play with.

Back