News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

Shower Stall vs. Walk-In Closet

More closets, hands down. You can shower in the tub like 99% of the world. A stall in such a small condo is just redundant.

i agree with simuls ... additional closet/storage space is prime real estate !

look at it this way ... where you're living now, do you ask yourself 'i wish i had a separate shower stall' or 'i wish i had more closet space'?

More closet space for sure. That closet door behind the bedroom door looks awkward.

I would go with closet space. Most of the people i know in condo's complain a lot about the lack of closet space.

well designed closet space is key. Unfortunately, a lot of new condos seem to have poorly conceived closets. I think that a nice closet across one side of a room can be better than a walk-in closet and use less space.

why not just get rid of the door from the bathroom to the bedroom and make a storage room / walk-in closet by combining the 2 closets and shower.

The hallway from the bedroom to bathroom is a waste of space.

why not just get rid of the door from the bathroom to the bedroom and make a storage room / walk-in closet by combining the 2 closets and shower.

The hallway from the bedroom to bathroom is a waste of space.

I agree this is the best suggestion. I would make the hallway as part of the closet making it a walk in and leave the shower stall. In a 1 bedroom, what is the difference if you walk out and enter the bathroom. That way you get both. While closet space is important, thinking of resale, I think a larger walk in vs. a smaller walkin with a seperate shower would be more of a selling feature. The other think is with closet organizers, you could make a fair amount of storage.

One other point. Is this a soaker type tub because they may not be that comfortable to stand/get in and out of. If a standard tub, I guess it really is up to you.

All the above said, everyone I know comments on lack of storage space. Of course, you can also fit in a dresser or get a bed with pullout drawers beneath.

I'm just curious to know if anyone has gotten a builder to modify a floor plan as suggested above to make a walk-in closet? If so, were there a lot of extra (administrative) costs involved?

Or is this a change that one must do after getting title?

I'm just curious to know if anyone has gotten a builder to modify a floor plan as suggested above to make a walk-in closet? If so, were there a lot of extra (administrative) costs involved?

Or is this a change that one must do after getting title?

It's really up to the builder. Some will agree to do an amendment to reflect the changes that you requested during the 10 day recision period, with no extra charge. Some will say that you must wait until the time to choose colors and finishes to request for these changes (and no guarantee that they will agree to the changes at that time).

Or you can wait until after closing, and as it's all yours now, you can do whatever you want as long as it's not related to structure. Of course you're going to pay for the changes yourself.

I also would like to see the shower turned into a walk-in closet. For a one-bedroom unit I don't think a separate shower is really neccessary.
It would be less cost and work, so I'm sure the developer would be willing to do it.

In lieu of the shower I would ask for a dual shower heads over the tub.
To save space and to rid of the awkward outward swinging door between the bedroom and bath, I would replace it with a pocket door.
You will have to still deal with the double thick wall where the shower plumbing wall used to be as the plumbing is stacked though the building, so making one large walk-in closet and creating a short hall to the bath in the bedroom might not be ideal. As much as having the short hall between the bedroom and bath is a waste of space, I think for resale purposes it would be nice to have direct access between the two rooms (like having a master ensuite). 800 s.f. is relatively generous for a 1 bedroom (plus tiny den) unit.

On a side note I would eliminate the door and wall to the small windowless den to make it more open and brighter.

I would think a 4 piece ensuite washroom is a great feature not expected in a 1b+ d. As for closet space, you can buy an exterior closet from IKEA as your bedroom is wide enough to accomodate.

Why would anyone pay additional funds to a builder to eliminate a shower in lieu of a closet. I like the unit just the way it is on the floorplan......good luck!

I also would like to see the shower turned into a walk-in closet. For a one-bedroom unit I don't think a separate shower is really neccessary.
It would be less cost and work, so I'm sure the developer would be willing to do it.

In lieu of the shower I would ask for a dual shower heads over the tub.
To save space and to rid of the awkward outward swinging door between the bedroom and bath, I would replace it with a pocket door.
You will have to still deal with the double thick wall where the shower plumbing wall used to be as the plumbing is stacked though the building, so making one large walk-in closet and creating a short hall to the bath in the bedroom might not be ideal. As much as having the short hall between the bedroom and bath is a waste of space, I think for resale purposes it would be nice to have direct access between the two rooms (like having a master ensuite). 800 s.f. is relatively generous for a 1 bedroom (plus tiny den) unit.

On a side note I would eliminate the door and wall to the small windowless den to make it more open and brighter.

Some interesting suggestions you have there. I too did not see the value in it, but the bulder says for resale value to keep the shower stall. Guess I have time to buy the most utility based furniture to deal with this lack of closets.

About your den suggestion, I took a look at the phase 1 resales of the same model and found those dens had double french doors, which made the look look much bigger than it is. So I'm going to see if I can upgrade the door, as I wished it had a window but it does not.

thanks!

Back