News   Apr 19, 2024
 530     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 892     3 

Transportation planning in Toronto: dead end the divide

rfid

Member Bio
Reaction score
I want to generate some meaningful discussion about the state of public transit in Toronto. With Rob Ford's win in the municipal election and the political shift in politics, I feel we need to figure out the disconnect between the suburbs and urban core as it relates to transportation in the city. My hope is that some higher ups will take notice and once and for all put our city back on the right track, united in vision.

First of all, I believe that the utmost goal of the TTC is to provide practical public transit to the citizens of Toronto. Unfortunately for the nostalgic, it is not a museum nor should any policy be made on that basis, although the age of some vehicles may lead one to believe that is the case.

From a suburban perspective, no one desires to take public transit unless they have no other means or they are travelling to the downtown core. The geographers and physicists here know that larger, denser objects attract. It's retail gravitation. I don't intend for this to be another LRT vs. subway thread and I sincerely hope that is not the result, but the fact is suburbanites are not attracted to at grade LRTs. I stress "at grade", since I believe grade separated LRTs would have similar effects on transportation patterns as a subway. Suburbanites get "dropped off" at subway stations, not at grade LRT stops. For example, if you were coming from Markham, would you drop someone off at a street level LRT stop exposed to the elements or an enclosed LRT/subway station?

The TTC is influenced far too much by politics than by its engineers. You need some guidance from political vision, but that should never dictate planning. Planning comes from non-partisan studies. The TTC could request signal priority so that less bunching occurs on at grade LRTs such as Spadina. But that is not the case and LRTs are seen as prone to delays without the flexibility to pass other vehicles--the worst of all worlds.

Much of the same could be said about the highway network around Toronto. Highways that lead nowhere and plans never accomplished.

Ultimately, to resolve transportation issues in the Toronto area, we need development philosophies that respect both urban and suburban lifestyles, combines political vision, and employs sound engineering planning. We need to strike a balance between too much NIMBYism and too much developer influence or nothing will be accomplished. Smart growth would seem to be the way to go, and since we cannot always live where we work, we need to properly connect the nodes around the city. Obviously in the suburbs the nodes would be lower density, but there would still be a node with some higher order transit to connect it to other nodes and not only to downtown. There would be commuter lots at such nodes. We seem to be headed on that direction as much of us now belong to certain neighbourhoods, which could serve as nodes.

Since there will always be a desire for suburban and urban lifestyles, we need to work around that and rather than divisiveness we need solutions to move forward with a proper transportation plan for Toronto.

I want to generate some meaningful discussion about the state of public transit in Toronto. ... . For example, if you were coming from Markham
Are you here to discuss transit in Toronto, or transit in the cities around Toronto? Do we really need another thread on this? Though the topics mentioned seem far too general and wide-ranging for meaningful discussion.

Unfortunately for the nostalgic, it is not a museum nor should any policy be made on that basis, although the age of some vehicles may lead one to believe that is the case.
I'm not sure where that's coming from. TTC only has a few trains older than 25 years ... and only those that are newer than 15 years will be left in 15 years. Forty years is more typical around the world ... both London and Montreal are currently replacing equipment from the mid-1960s, while we are replacing equipment from the mid-1980s? Surely the issue is that we are too quick to replace older equipment, rather than to maintain and upgrade it to save money.

On the bus front, virtually every bus has been replaced in recent years, with only a few older buses still in service. On the streetcar front we are replacing the entire fleet, including the articulated ones that are only just over 20 years old.

I don't see any policies being made based on the basis that TTC is a museum.

Are you here to discuss transit in Toronto, or transit in the cities around Toronto? Do we really need another thread on this? Though the topics mentioned seem far too general and wide-ranging for meaningful discussion.

That's why I want to keep this thread to meaningful discussion of what the city could realistically do. The discussion is about transit in Toronto and specifically ending divides like the one you just mentioned. Does it matter if someone needs to get to work from Agincourt to Thornhill? Why should it be so difficult.

I'm not sure where that's coming from. TTC only has a few trains older than 25 years ... and only those that are newer than 15 years will be left in 15 years. Forty years is more typical around the world ... both London and Montreal are currently replacing equipment from the mid-1960s, while we are replacing equipment from the mid-1980s? Surely the issue is that we are too quick to replace older equipment, rather than to maintain and upgrade it to save money.

On the bus front, virtually every bus has been replaced in recent years, with only a few older buses still in service. On the streetcar front we are replacing the entire fleet, including the articulated ones that are only just over 20 years old.

I don't see any policies being made based on the basis that TTC is a museum.

It was a joke. On a serious note, I do recall a transit museum being on the TTC agenda a few months ago.

The TTC has used vehicles from the Halton County Radial Railway on occasion. In fact, the TTC has sent vehicles that would have been scrapped to them.

55GF.jpg

collection_1923_2894L.jpg

4000new.jpg

The museum could also get a couple or few of the CLRV when they're replaced by the new low-floor streetcars.

The real problem are the politicians who keep canceling transit projects after they went through the planning process. These politicians look for the short term gain instead of long term benefits.

Since there will always be a desire for suburban and urban lifestyles, we need to work around that and rather than divisiveness we need solutions to move forward with a proper transportation plan for Toronto.

Should taxes be used for the purposes of providing similar levels of urban amentities to those that prefer suburban lifestyle or should that be acknowledged as a tradeoff?

Should taxes be used for the purposes of providing similar levels of urban amentities to those that prefer suburban lifestyle or should that be acknowledged as a tradeoff?

Yes. That's why we shifted to current value assessment in the late 90s. As more amenities are made available (e.g. close to good public transit), your property value should increase and you pay accordingly.

That's why I want to keep this thread to meaningful discussion of what the city could realistically do. The discussion is about transit in Toronto and specifically ending divides like the one you just mentioned. Does it matter if someone needs to get to work from Agincourt to Thornhill? Why should it be so difficult.
It's a valid issue ... but they are two separate debates. To be honest, you've opened many issues, and I think all are being discussed in other thread.

It was a joke. On a serious note, I do recall a transit museum being on the TTC agenda a few months ago.
There's been talk of one ... though it's a separate issue from improving transit. Seems odd there isn't one, doesn't both London and New York have transit museums run by their agencies? Always seems odd to me that our (private) transit museum is in rural Guelph.

Yes. That's why we shifted to current value assessment in the late 90s. As more amenities are made available (e.g. close to good public transit), your property value should increase and you pay accordingly.
And yet those in the suburbs, seem to think that we should build subways out there, despite lower ridership, and their lower contribution to taxes.

And yet those in the suburbs, seem to think that we should build subways out there, despite lower ridership, and their lower contribution to taxes.

That's true, but what happens when you don't invest in the suburbs? They turn into inner suburb slums. Then people keep moving further out into newer, outer suburbs and the same process repeats (we haven't been around long enough to see what happens in Toronto, but maybe something like LA?) The only difference Toronto made is it invested back into the downtown core so it didn't rot like a lot of American counterparts.

And it would only make sense that as you invest back into the suburbs, the property value increases and thus their taxes.

And it would only make sense that as you invest back into the suburbs, the property value increases and thus their taxes.
So Victoria Park/Danforth didn't turn into a slum because we built the subway? Right ....

The solution is the planning and urban design in the first place. As well as stopping the zoning allowing for endless sprawl.

It's a bit simplistic to paint urban versus suburban as simple lifestyle choices. Government has no obligation to facilitate and subsidize suburban lifestyle. In the long-term, the best weapon planners have is sharp limits on sprawl.

That said, that's the long-term. In the short-term, I get where you're coming from. Transportation will always be a key political issue and essentially telling the suburbs that it really isn't cost-effective to provide them with higher-order rapid transit is the electoral equivalent of hanging a "Don't vote for me!" sign on your campaign office.

Personally I think the answer is to divorce further transportation planning from politics. Metrolinx is a good step in this direction. But Ford is their first big test. If they fold to every whim of the new council then they might as well just disband the organization because it'll have lost its purpose.

Although goverance at Vancouver's Translink leads a lot to be desired it is an excellent idea and one that Toronto should emulate.
Translink is not a public transit authority but rather a transportation authority. I coordinates all transportation in the metro area including, walkways, bike routes, public transit, roads, commuter rail and bus. They are not viewed as fiefdoms but rather as part of an overall system. This is why all new road expansions include HOV lanes for buses, carpools, and commuter vans. In Toronto you get this stupid "us vs them" mentality. The soon to be widened HWY#1 and new 10 lane Port Mann bridge will not only have HOV but that HOV lane has been build to accommodate transferring it to LRT when eventually needed. They build the already constructed Pitt Meadows bridge the same way. All new bridges and roads have build in bike and pedestrian routes. The Canada Line over the Fraser River is rail on the top but there is a pedestrian and bike way underneath it.
The new HW1/PortMann also has express bus stop stations where there are separate lanes for buses to easily get to the bus station beside the highway and then get right back on it as opposed to having to deal with potential slowdowns at the on ramp. The Canada Line included huge new HOV lanes to make sure that not only can you take rapid transit but you can also get to the station carefree. Not only is the Canada Line fast but so is getting there. Taking the West Coast Express commuter rail automatically pays for your transit trip when you disembark. If getting on the train whatever zone you paid for transit trip is automatically deducted from your fare when buying your ticket.
You cannot have one system working well and at it's optimum unless it is a coordinated system and Vancouver new this and hence Translink.
There should not have to be talks with other departments about future improvements of anything, it should be done at the same time.

Personally I think the answer is to divorce further transportation planning from politics. Metrolinx is a good step in this direction. But Ford is their first big test. If they fold to every whim of the new council then they might as well just disband the organization because it'll have lost its purpose.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The biggest problem with transit planning (and planning in general, but transit planning especially, since it arguably impacts the public realm the most) is it is a slave to politics. This would not be such a bad thing if they operated on the same time scales. Unfortunately, they do not. There's a 2x or 3x difference in the time it takes to complete 1 political term vs the amount of time it takes to see a planning project from start to finish.

Preliminary planning takes up 1 term, detailed engineering takes up another, construction takes up another. That's 2-3 mayoral terms (depending on the scale of the project) that a project has to survive in order to actually be built. Every election feels like when a herd of gazelle try to cross an open clearing. You hope that they'll all make it across, but you know at least some of them are going to be picked off by the lions along the way. At best, you end up with 80% of what you started off with. At worse, you're back to the drawing board completely.

So yes, Metrolinx is a good step forward in the dis-entanglement of planning from politics. However, it is not immune. The upcoming provincial election will show us all how "arms length" it really is. It may be arms length to the point of "we really can't touch you, continue on as you were". It may be arms length to the point of "we really can't touch you, but we can cut your budget in half, so make due". Or it may not be arms length at all, and we may get "we really don't need you anymore, there's the door".

I want to generate some meaningful discussion about the state of public transit in Toronto.

It's miserable since the 1980s. We had integrated land use and transit planning prior to that. Things were good. Then it all went to hell in the 1980s with the expansion of the suburbs and growth moving beyond the jurisdiction of the regional government "Metro Toronto".

When people recognize this failure of the past 20-30 years, when people recognize that we need to go back to the 1960s and 1970s planning that made Toronto a first class city in the world (we're not anymore), only then will we be able to have a meaningful discussion. Until then we are just comparing straws in a haysack, wasting our time.

So Victoria Park/Danforth didn't turn into a slum because we built the subway? Right ....

The solution is the planning and urban design in the first place. As well as stopping the zoning allowing for endless sprawl.

I don't know if I would consider that a slum. But maybe it didn't turn into the downtown many people expect a subway to bring to an area.

I suspect that planning policy on the Scarborough side was the problem--you put a subway there but you did nothing more than that. It's clear, for example, on Kingston Road that when you cross Victoria Park the densities and type of development drastically change, not to mention the streetcar tracks dissolves into the asphalt.

Is there this much divide in other cities around the world, where political boundaries dictate planning boundaries and such piecemeal solutions are allowed to prevail? Should planning policy be coordinated across the area enclosed by the greenbelt instead? What do you do with the existing suburbs to transform them into a more viable and sustainable environment--allow them to deteriorate then expropriate, which may exacerbate its outward expansion? As I've mentioned, I don't think we've been around long enough to know what to do, but if done right could be the cutting edge of urban planning.

It's hard to tell the next generation they can't have as much as the previous. It's the death of the (North) American dream. But it's inevitable given the crises we're facing. The only obligation of the government is to implement policy. We made the wrong decision of allowing the suburbs to sprawl, I suppose because at that time and to the best of our knowledge we did not know or were ignorant of the consequences. Subsidizing the suburban lifestyle is only a byproduct of the redistribution of wealth. There are houses downtown too, and the subsidy ended for them in the late 90s when the shock of current value assessment came into effect. So what is the ideal lifestyle anyway, to live in a dense condo development (many of which I suspect are occupied by transplanted suburbanites)?

Was it wrong not to build the municipal expressway system in Toronto? If it were built, how would traffic patterns have changed? There are so many what ifs and questions to answer that politicians need not bicker about the left or the right wing, but come up with solutions that we can agree upon.

Back