News   Apr 16, 2024
 203     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     5 

Pinewood Studios 2.5 Million Sq/ft development (1000 Condos, Hotel, Retail)

Peepers

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Toronto Star just posted information on this exciting proposed development

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/realestate/article/890265--toronto-streets-to-be-living-movie-set

The proposed 2.5 Million sq/ft mixed use development will include 1000 condos, 180 room Hotel and retail.

What is unique is the buildings and street scapes will be patterned after famous neighborhoods such as Soho in New York, Chicago’s Loop area, and Charing Cross in London so that the area can double as a back-lot for Pinewood studios.

Last edited:
Gimmicky sure, but a great investment in T.O.'s film industry if it happens. I wouln't want to live on a movie set though... way too Truman show.

How about putting in fake palm trees along the promenade?

c5b08612495da3cef7a994eff787.jpeg

It sounds alright. Pinewood's capital *should* help keep it from looking too cheap. I see there's no mention of the Alsop wave building. :( You think the british would be all over that (if it is indeed dead).

I'm also curious at how the whole 100-year land lease will work for the condo owners.

This is indeed an incredible project - and as a lot of member's have wished this in the past - it could become our facade district! Albeit.. with fake ones this time.

The sole fact of having Pinewood invest into such a hefty project is guaranteed to get us a Bond movie in the near future...

From that article...Romano’s Castlepoint Realty has been on a roll lately with the purchase of the Home Depot site and the building out of Pinewood Studios. But it did not happen overnight.

Aren't these the same guys at the moment building, Absolute World, L-Tower, Backstage, and Pier-27..:confused:

Came across the article too which I thought was interesting.
Not sure if I like it or not, having a themed Disney-like community though I could go for a London-like setting.
If done right, with some thought and sophistication, it should be a decent development without looking too fake and cheap.

Will potential condo purchasers be willing to put up with the congestion, road closures and inturruptions from filming?
If people are fine with living next to Rogers Centre or at Maple Leaf Square, this development should sell fine if priced well.
I really like the idea of supporting our film industry.

Yes, I believe Citizen is involved in this development.

I don't think it'll fall into the kitschiness that some are fearing. It needs to look relatively authentic so all I think we can expect to see is a change from the Toronto style to those seen in NY, Chicago, San Francisco and London. It may even inspire other developments in other parts of the city. I'm excited about this!

I'm nervous about it. If the point is to recreate London and New York streetscapes simply for making films set in those cities, then it's really depressing to know that's the only thing that these people see in us. The point will never be to actually equal those cities, just create a cheaper version to pass off as New York. If that's the reality, then we should avoid it. Also, why not make films set in Toronto? Are we really fine with a 'more boring version of New York' identity being imposed on us?

On the other hand, if they simply develop the site as having elements more rarely seen in Toronto in terms of massing, public spaces and streetscapes but without overt visual references to other cities, it could be a great development.

It will be interesting to see more renderings of what is being proposed. The single rendering released so far looks typically Toronto. I notice on one of the building is a sign which looks like the Hard Rock logo. I wonder if a Hard Rock Hotel will be part of the project. The site itself which overlooks a stagnant shipping channel and abandoned Power Plant is not very attractive. The biggest selling feature will be the glamor aspect of living essentially on a movie back-lot. If done well I could see this becoming a tourist attraction.

I'm nervous about it. If the point is to recreate London and New York streetscapes simply for making films set in those cities, then it's really depressing to know that's the only thing that these people see in us. The point will never be to actually equal those cities, just create a cheaper version to pass off as New York. If that's the reality, then we should avoid it. Also, why not make films set in Toronto? Are we really fine with a 'more boring version of New York' identity being imposed on us?

Sorry, but big deal! Movie lots like Universal Studios in L.A. and Florida have been recreating New York and other street scenes forever. Every time a flick or tv show that's set in New York but is shot in L.A., we don't all gnash our teeth do we? Was it really a problem that New York-set Seinfeld was filmed in Hollywood? If movies and shows were all filmed where they were set, studios would be set up entirely differently and there would not be so many related jobs in the industry in Toronto. Meanwhile, as mentioned in the article, films are being shot here that are set here: Chloe, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, etc. Shows too, like Flashpoint, Being Erica...

In regards to the development - interesting idea - a way to get a working film set without having to run an amusement park to pay for it. And yes, it's ersatz, but at least it will be contained in one area. It takes all sorts of crazy stuff to create a fully fleshed-out city.

Back