News   Mar 28, 2024
 125     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

New Freeway Rest Stops Across Ontario (Quadrangle, Bruce Mau)

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Below is the full press release from Quadrangle

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2010/10...rio’s-first-seven-leed-silver-highway-service
-----------

Quadrangle Architects Limited unveils Ontario’s first seven LEED Silver highway service centres

TORONTO: Quadrangle Architects celebrates the opening of the new, modern highway service centres along Ontario’s Highways 400 and 401. Seven out of the 20 service centres have been completed. Designed by Quadrangle Architects Limited, built by EllisDon Corporation and operated by Host Kilmer Service Centres Inc., the fully functional service centres offer enhanced services and an aesthetically pleasing experience to the travelling public.

TilburySouthExteriorDay.jpg

“We were able to create visually inspiring and regionally identifiable service centres that leverage the Ontario brand to the travelling public,” said Les Klein, principal, Quadrangle Architects Limited. “And, most importantly, its green features are adaptable to the needs of travellers in the future.”

Quadrangle’s inspiration for the Ontario Highway Service Centres is rooted in the imagery of rock outcroppings in Ontario’s landscape. Working in harmony with each other, the striking architectural buildings function as identifiable symbols for the service centre experience throughout the province. Each centre’s unique locality is represented through mounted screens in the local seating area which showcase picturesque regional images. Digital media will also promote local attractions and events. The designs for all three sizes of centres incorporate three distinct elements – a glass atrium with sloped glass walls covered by a sloped metal roof; traditional indigenous stone walls; and wood trellises and canopies.

TilburySouthInteriorDay.jpg

Sustainability

In addition to designing the centres to target Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification standards, Quadrangle created and implemented a durability plan to ensure that the buildings are designed and built to last the intended service life of 50 years.

Environmentally responsible and sustainable design features can be found all through each of the service centres. In the washrooms, water usage is reduced by more than 40 per cent by using waterless urinals, low consumption toilets and touchless faucet fixtures. To optimize energy performance throughout, the buildings are equipped with a well-insulated, air-tight building envelope; high-performance thermally broken glazing units; and lighting systems which incorporate high-efficiency fixtures and daylight sensors in the main public area.

Natural daylight is provided for 75 per cent of occupied spaces by strategically placed skylights and by large expanses of fritted glazing in the main public area. To minimize glare, roller shades and wood overhangs are used, along with ceramic frit on all sloped glazing. A high-reflectance, high-emissivity roof is provided over the entire building.

All highway service centre sites are constructed on remediated brownfield sites. This ensures that existing hazardous materials are removed from the site and the new structures are not built on greenfield sites. Resources used to build the service centres are targeting a minimum of 20 per cent regional materials and 15 percent recycled content. Green education will be a visible part of all service centres, providing access to information about sustainable building systems to the hundreds of thousand visitors that pass through each year.

Accessibility

To make these centres distinctive from other highway service centres in Canada, Quadrangle incorporated a broad range of accessibility and universal design measures in the new facilities, to accommodate all visitors of varying abilities.

“We’re proud of the fact that these service centres better accommodate multi-generational travellers,” said Klein. “It’s essential that all visitors are able to make the most out of their stop-over.”

Each centre has a continuous route from the accessible parking area and passenger drop-off area to all spaces within the facility. Glazed doors and sidelights are clearly identified with custom-designed high-contrast visibility strips to accommodate people of all heights. To avoid trip hazards, there are no stairs in any of the centres.

To enhance mobility, all corridors are a minimum of 1,370mm wide and there are turning areas with a 2,000mm diameter to cater to people using wheelchairs, scooters or other assistive devices. All service counters are designed with one 1,100mm-wide counter at a height useable by persons in wheelchairs. To prevent slip hazards, a matte finish porcelain tile with a high coefficient of friction is used throughout the centres. Mosaic tiles of a contrasting colour serve as a detectable warning surface at the sloped glazing as well as to indicate changes in direction.

Universally accessible drinking fountains and telephones are also provided. Telephones include a teletypewriter (TTY), a longer cord and an added shelf to support a telecommunications device (TTD) for the deaf.

Unisex family washrooms are available and are complete with a universally accessible sink and toilet with flip-down grab bars, automatic door operators and a motorized, adjustable adult-sized change table. High contrast colours were also used to define the boundary between the wall and the floor. The doors are locked with an electronic locking device and provide a visual sign to persons waiting outside that the room is occupied.

Signage, designed by Bruce Mau Design, uses sans-serif font with simple, uncluttered language and graphics. All signage has sharp colour contrast for easier reading as well as universal cultural symbols, raised tactile lettering and Braille.

Established in 1986, Quadrangle Architects Limited is among Canada’s most dynamic architectural firms. Its portfolio of projects illustrates a diversified client list that includes leading companies in the residential, commercial, media and hospitality industries. Equally wide-ranging is its scope and expertise in the rehabilitation and conversion of existing buildings, design of branded retail environments, corporate interiors and institutional projects. Led by principals Brian Curtner, Les Klein, Ted Shore, Susan Ruptash and Sheldon Levitt, Quadrangle is a 60-person multidisciplinary firm. For more information on Quadrangle Architects Limited, visit www.quadrangle.ca.

Last edited by a moderator:
And more information, from the concessionaire, HostKilmer Service Centres Inc.:

First Phase of Highway 401 Service Centres Complete
Full Complement of Restaurants and Other Amenities Now Open

Toronto, ON – October 1, 2010 – The driving experience along Highway 401 improves significantly today with the opening of seven service centres built and managed by Host Kilmer Service Centres (HKSC). These new ONroute Centres are part of the Province of Ontario’s redevelopment program of 23 service centres along Highways 401 and 400.

“Redeveloping our highway service centres is part of the McGuinty government’s Open Ontario plan to invest in our infrastructure and create opportunities for Ontario families. These state-of-the art service centres will serve motorists better and help showcase our province in a positive way,” said Kathleen Wynne, Ontario Minister of Transportation.

The new dining selections, ranging from Tim Hortons, A&W and Coldstone Creamery, to KFC, BURGER KING® and Taco Bell are featured throughout the network of new centres. These quick service restaurants supplement the Canadian Tire gas stations / convenience stores and washroom facilities that opened earlier this summer east of the GTA on Highway 401 at Bainsville, Morrisburg, and Trenton North, and west of the GTA on Highway 401 at Tilbury North and Tilbury South, Dutton and West Lorne.

“We are proud to open these centres on time and with full services as promised,” said HostKilmer representatives Ken Tanenbaum, Executive Vice President, Kilmer Group, and HMSHost Vice President, Michael Jones.

“We appreciate the patience of Ontario travellers during the construction period, and we’re confident they will agree that these clean, comfortable and state-of-the-art travel centres are places worth celebrating.”
Motorists will also find The Market, a custom travel retail store that features an outstanding selection of fresh gourmet “foods to go” as well as newspapers, maps and magazines. Convenience and travel items, including everyday essentials, add to the many offerings and amenities travellers will now find along the highway.

“The partnership between Canadian Tire’s gas bars and convenience stores and Host Kilmer’s ONroute Centres delivers outstanding value, services and experiences to travellers,” said Bruce Allen, President of Canadian Tire Petroleum. “Our sites will offer top-quality gas, great service and an opportunity to earn Canadian Tire 'Money'®.”

“These service centres reflect the Ontario brand creatively, are designed to accommodate current green technology, and are adaptable to the needs of travellers in the future,” said Les Klein, Principal of Quadrangle Architects. “It is important that we offer travellers a consistent, excellent experience and a design that reflects the nearby communities.”

Staffed tourist information centres are located at the Tilbury South and Bainsville ONroute centres. These Highway 401 centre locations are the gateways to the province from the east and west.

Larry Daer, EllisDon’s Executive in Charge of Construction said, “We are pleased to achieve this important milestone with HostKilmer on the Province service centre project. This redevelopment process encompasses a complete design-build of these centres, including having them built to target LEED® Silver certification. This will significantly improve travellers’ experience across Ontario’s busiest highway.”

The roster of dining, convenience and service offerings now available includes:

Tilbury North, Highway 401 W: Tim Hortons, BURGER KING®, The Market

Tilbury South, Highway 401 W: Tim Hortons, BURGER KING®, The Market

West Lorne, Highway 401 W: Tim Hortons, A&W, Taco Bell, KFC, The Market

Dutton, Highway 401 W: Tim Hortons, A&W, Cold Stone Creamery, Taco Bell, KFC, The Market

Trenton North, Highway 401 E: Tim Hortons, A&W, Cold Stone Creamery, Pizza Pizza, The Market

Morrisburg, Highway 401 E: Tim Hortons, BURGER KING®, The Market

Bainsville, Highway 401 E: Tim Hortons, BURGER KING®, The Market

Construction on the three subsequent phases will continue through to 2012, and openings for these phases will follow in 2011 through 2013. For construction updates and more information about the phased construction schedule, please visit: www.mto.gov.on.ca. For updates specific to the centres, the customer experience or to apply for a job, please visit www.onroute.ca.

About HostKilmer Service Centers

HostKilmer Service Centers Inc. is an alliance between the world leader in travel dining and shopping and a well- recognized Canadian company with extensive experience in building public infrastructure.

With more than US$2.5 billion in annual sales and 34,000 employees, HMSHost operates restaurants and retail stores in 101 travel plazas throughout the U.S. and Canada. The Company also provides travellers with exceptional dining and shopping options in 111 airports worldwide, including Toronto’s Pearson International Airport and the top 20 busiest airports in North America. HMSHost is a part of Autogrill Group, the world’s leading provider of food & beverage and retail services for people on the move. With sales of €5.7 billion in 2009, Autogrill Group operates in 43 countries and employs some 70,000 people. It manages over 5,500 stores in more than 1,200 locations worldwide. Visit www.HMSHost.com for more information.

For more than 40 years, Kilmer Van Nostrand has been building Canadian businesses through long-term, stable investments in areas as diverse as construction and building products, sports, cable television and publishing, food processing and environmental rehabilitation. Kilmer Van Nostrand’s better known interests include: Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, and Toronto FC) and Insight Sports Ltd, a founding partner of the NHL Network and World Fishing Network.

Incredibly dull selection of food outlets. I know the travelling public wants its Timmy's, but it would be nice if some of the options were a little more interesting. It is possible that there might be some fresh and healthy options among the "fresh gourmet foods to go" available at "The Market", but I won't hold my breath.

Those options are far superior than what you get in the US. Drive to Boston and try to find anything other than a Mcdonalds in their pitstops for the entire 9 hour route.

Those options are far superior than what you get in the US. Drive to Boston and try to find anything other than a Mcdonalds in their pitstops for the entire 9 hour route.

I suppose so, although I am not sure having a choice between Burger King and Taco Bell is much of an improvement. Tim Hortons at least has healthier (relatively) soups and sandwiches, although they still contain a day's worth of sodium.

If memory serves, I don't remember the selection along the I-90 being that bad.

The AutoGrill stops in Italy had the best food ever. I don't get why we don't have sandwich counters with ready-to-grill panini's and side-salads etc.

The AutoGrill stops in Italy had the best food ever. I don't get why we don't have sandwich counters with ready-to-grill panini's and side-salads etc.

Wouldn't that have been fantastic had they used this opportunity to introduce Autogrill or a similar banner to Ontario. HMSHost, the North American arm of Autogrill, is a partner in HostKilmer, the builder and manager of these centres. Instead, like some many other landlords, their leasing strategy was clearly intended to focus on the safe and predictable. Yawn.

I suppose so, although I am not sure having a choice between Burger King and Taco Bell is much of an improvement. Tim Hortons at least has healthier (relatively) soups and sandwiches, although they still contain a day's worth of sodium.

If memory serves, I don't remember the selection along the I-90 being that bad.

Of course there's not much difference between Burger King and Taco Bell or most fast food places. I can't say I've looked at the nutitional values of everything at every fast food restaurant but you know what you're getting with most fast food places and usually there are some seemingly heathy options at least (even McDonalds has a plain salad). Ya, things could be better, but they could be a lot worse.

And we did the drive to Boston in July and literally it was Mcdonalds all the way through. We're glad we stopped at Duty Free for some Timmy's or else it would have meant two meals at McD's along the way. It looked like a few of the stops at one point had Mr Sub's but they were closed.

Of course there's not much difference between Burger King and Taco Bell or most fast food places. I can't say I've looked at the nutitional values of everything at every fast food restaurant but you know what you're getting with most fast food places and usually there are some seemingly heathy options at least (even McDonalds has a plain salad). Ya, things could be better, but they could be a lot worse.

And we did the drive to Boston in July and literally it was Mcdonalds all the way through. We're glad we stopped at Duty Free for some Timmy's or else it would have meant two meals at McD's along the way. It looked like a few of the stops at one point had Mr Sub's but they were closed.

When you are quite literally rebuilding a network of rest stops from the ground up, there are a lot of opportunities to be had, and it's just sad that "could be a lot worse" seems to be the threshold they aimed for. It isn't just the nutritional aspect (I occasionally enjoy an intake of saturated fat en-route to Ottawa or Montreal), but the fact that the selection is no better than a tired food court at a second tier mall. And the "healthy choices" are more often than not anything but. We should aim higher than "you know what you're getting". While I suspect that highway travellers may typically be less discerning in their grab-and-go food choices, it really raises the chicken-and-egg question. Do the travellers buy boring crap food because that is all that is available, or is boring crap food all that is available because that is all travellers buy? I'd like to think it's the former (but I'm no restaurant industry expert). Given the thousands and thousands of people that stop at these outlets daily, I would have thought there would be a significant enough share of the market that would be interested in grabbing actual food, something fast, fresh and delicious.

Wouldn't that have been fantastic had they used this opportunity to introduce Autogrill or a similar banner to Ontario. HMSHost, the North American arm of Autogrill, is a partner in HostKilmer, the builder and manager of these centres. Instead, like some many other landlords, their leasing strategy was clearly intended to focus on the safe and predictable. Yawn.

That was my experience too, and when I heard a few years ago that Autogrill would be involved in these rebuilds, I was more than pleased... but apparently we are not evolved enough here yet. Couldn't they even experiment with a full-on Autogrill in one of the larger locations? If it didn't work, they could flip it into something else pretty quickly...

They look quite nice.

The worst rest stops I ever saw were in Communist Yugoslavia in 1978 on a three day bus trip from London to Athens. I still shudder to think of them.

There's a culture of food there that we just don't have here. Even if something under the banner 'AutoGrill' did open up in Canada, I'd hardly expect it to be comparable to those in Italy. Let's remember, some locations have cheese cellars...

And, I mean, c'mon:

1%2B-%2BAutogrill%2B.JPG

Pretty neat, and a lot more easy on the eyes than some of the tourist information centres in the U.S. I guess it's about damn time!

Supposedly they're also including all of these brands at some point, somewhere: Tim Hortons, Casey’s, East Side Mario’s, Extreme Pita, Pizza Pizza, Teriyaki Experience, Yogen Früz, Cinnabon, Starbucks Coffee, A&W, Burger King, Brioche Dorée, Cold Stone Creamery and Quiznos.

I wonder whether Casey's and East Side Mario's will be a full, sit-down restaurant experience or maybe just some kind of branding for takeout foods. You're obviously right about the different food cultures between Canada and Italy, but perhaps part of the issue would be not wanting to compete with full-service restaurants off-highway.

Back