365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 712     0 

GO Transit Ridership Anomaly

UrbanPrincess

Member Bio
Reaction score
Heya,

I was looking at ridership information for the Barrie line and then GO Transit rail services in the first quarter of 2010 and I noticed a huge spike in ridership in March and then it drops back down again to normal levels in April. Is this a result of fare increases (people purchasing more two and ten rides before the increase) or am I missing something here?

Thanks

Could simply be the horrid winter driving on the 400. See if the same thing happens next year; if it does, then it's real. If it doesn't, then it could well be a data problem.

What happened in 2009? (can't remember when that service started).

It's a fair question ... if it increased in March, but not in January and February, then something else is at play. Particularly given how warm it was this March.

Feb 13 there was the train derailment outside Barrie.

Feb 12-28 were the Olympics, so anyone that went might make a non-commuting trip back.

March has Spring Break and Easter week fell over the change in the months (March 31 - April 4). So this year both public and catholic school boards had Spring Break start during March.

There was also a lot of G20 preperations going on but I'd expect them to be reflected in April-June.

Toronto International Bicycle Show 2010 was March 5-7.

Canada Blooms: The Flower and Garden Festival was March 17-21.

Spring Fling (indoor carnival) ran March 16-21.

March 26, a new pedestrian tunnel for Allandale GO station was announced with federal, provincial, and local politicians travelling there for a photo op.

Finally, there was a price increase on March 20, so unless you are looking at alighting numbers, the spike might be in part people buying the cheaper bulk-travel tickets, but there should be a dip below normal levels for April, if so.

Back