News   Apr 18, 2024
 751     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.3K     2 

Recomendations for a Quiet Condo

PIX

Member Bio
Reaction score
I sold my beautiful condo at Cityplace a year ago because of on-going issues with noisy tenants above me. I purchased a new Scarborough end unit town-home with a sound proofing upgrade but the soundproofing doesn't work. In 3 years I plan to sell my town-home and move back downtown. I am thinking a tower penthouse. Any recommendations to look out for in terms location and peace and quiet?

How sensitive to noise are you? I live in an old rowhouse with really thick walls but even then I'll hear the occasional noise from neighbours. If you're looking for complete silence a condo may be wrong for you.

There's no such thing as a silent condo...

But if you're set on getting a condo, you'd have to do the soundproofing yourself. There's a product called green glue that seems to be all the rage in soundproofing. You'd really have to soundproof all the walls, the ceiling and even the floor. And even after that, you'll still hear sound coming from the door.

If you have the money...just move into a detached house

My mom lives at Rosedale Glen 278 Bloor street East. The building is very well run and maintained. However, a somewhat older crowd.
Always very quiet when I have been there (though you get ambulance/firetruck noise when they travel on Bloor street).

You sound very sensitive to noise so I suggest a high floor. Becareful about penthouses. In newer construction they should have figured it out but in some buildings, one hears the mechanicals on the roof. Also Penthouses usually come with a hefty premium but no one walks above you (except if you are in 1 of what the agents and builders are calling subpenthouses: up to 4 floors or more: ridiculous terminology by the way because technically the "first floor" of a 20 story building is sub-the-penthouse. that term should only refer to 1 floor below the penthouse.

Regarding sensitivity sounds that appear to emanate IN MY HOME bother me. I'm OK with distance sounds. During construction I stayed at a 3'rd floor home not far from Bathurst/Bloor. The outside noise didn't bother me. My previous condo was way too noisy with the (3+) tenants always wearing high heel walking/partying late into the evening on the laminate/ceiling. I didn't hear noise from adjacent neighbors. At my town I can hear the (one guy) neighbor walking on floors/stairs, doors, chairs, music. Additionally I'm finding my town is too big for me @ 1750 sq ft, I'm not crazy about stairs, cutting the lawn and I've always lived downtown previously.

I have a buddy who just downsized and bought a 10-year old penthouse in South Etobicoke. He is going to let me know how quiet the unit is so I can get an idea of the noise level.

Regarding sensitivity sounds that appear to emanate IN MY HOME bother me. I'm OK with distance sounds. During construction I stayed at a 3'rd floor home not far from Bathurst/Bloor. The outside noise didn't bother me. My previous condo was way too noisy with the (3+) tenants always wearing high heel walking/partying late into the evening on the laminate/ceiling. I didn't hear noise from adjacent neighbors. At my town I can hear the (one guy) neighbor walking on floors/stairs, doors, chairs, music. Additionally I'm finding my town is too big for me @ 1750 sq ft, I'm not crazy about stairs, cutting the lawn and I've always lived downtown previously.

I have a buddy who just downsized and bought a 10-year old penthouse in South Etobicoke. He is going to let me know how quiet the unit is so I can get an idea of the noise level.

Thing is, it all depends on your neighbours. Someone on the 2nd floor could have a completely different experience than someone on the 10th floor. If you have a heavy set neighbour above you who walks on their heels/or stomps...you will hear them even if the building is decent soundproofing. You may have a neighbour who never plays music or one that plays music 24/7 into the night. It's a crapshoot. Your best bet if you have to live in a condo is to find one with older clientele as they tend to be quieter.

It's funny, I have a buddy who lives at Cityplace and I have never heard his neighbours. Only thing he hears is on Sunday morning his neighbours blast music for a few hours....he barely hears it though.

Best bet is a detached house ;)

An effective alternative to soundproofing is to use some kind of white noise device to mask outside/neighbor's noises.

Noise cancellation systems are often used in offices, but I'm sure you could get smaller devices for residential use.
I have a portable white noise device which I use at night when I go to sleep, I sometimes take this along with me when I stay at hotels. It works really well.

Also Penthouses usually come with a hefty premium but no one walks above you (except if you are in 1 of what the agents and builders are calling subpenthouses: up to 4 floors or more: ridiculous terminology by the way because technically the "first floor" of a 20 story building is sub-the-penthouse. that term should only refer to 1 floor below the penthouse.

I really hate the term 'sub-penthouses'...it's just another way for builders to scam unsuspecting buyers. It's just penthouse level, and the rest. That should be it. Also, what use is the penthouse if they don't even have their own lifts? Penthouses done right should have their own lifts and even their own 'privately' enclosed carspaces w/ garage doors like in detached houses. Now *that* would be real penthouse living.

An effective alternative to soundproofing is to use some kind of white noise device to mask outside/neighbor's noises.

Noise cancellation systems are often used in offices, but I'm sure you could get smaller devices for residential use.
I have a portable white noise device which I use at night when I go to sleep, I sometimes take this along with me when I stay at hotels. It works really well.
I have an air purifier for just that reason. I originally bought it because I thought it would help me with my allergies. The thing does nothing to improve my allergies, but I put it near my bed and if my neighbors are being noisy when I'm trying to sleep I just turn it on to drown them out.

You can always use earplugs but that might prevent you from hearing the fire alarm. I've also tried them but found them uncomfortable for sleeping.

I really hate the term 'sub-penthouses'...it's just another way for builders to scam unsuspecting buyers. It's just penthouse level, and the rest. That should be it. Also, what use is the penthouse if they don't even have their own lifts? Penthouses done right should have their own lifts and even their own 'privately' enclosed carspaces w/ garage doors like in detached houses. Now *that* would be real penthouse living.
Haha in Toronto that would cost 2 million dollars.

Parade podium has 10 floors. There's no electrical above you since it's located in the mid rise tower. If you buy the 10th floor or real floor 9th fl. You won't have anyone above you. However there's neighbours adjacent to you.

Any idea what a downtown top floor resale 2 bed/2 bath condo in the 900 sq ft range would go for? Under 10 year old mid-rise or high-rise?

Last edited:

Back