News   Mar 28, 2024
 286     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 651     0 

Toronto Before: Historical Photo Mash-Ups

Aladone

Member Bio
Reaction score
Many of you out there have been requesting a thread for the Then and Now "Remixes" and here it is. I will upload as many and as frequently as I can. I also leave it open to others to upload your own work as well. With Flickr groups like "Looking into the Past", Then and Now mash-ups are becoming somewhat popular. Many are getting into it.

So why do I call these mash-ups a "remix"? Well, I like music and most often when we hear the word remix we think of music and the re-making of an old song or the combination of two songs into one. Then and Now remixes follow the same logic. Blending two images gives us unique insight into how things have changed, how things could have been were some changes never made, and a general feel for the past while keeping the present in perspective.

If you love all the Toronto historical photos that are out there, taking the "now" photos and like using Photoshop feel free to experiment and share. I look forward to seeing your work. - AC

This was the first mash-up photo I ever put together. Yonge St. north from Queen St. 1908-2009

4553333532_c3d1a7741f_z.jpg

Before I go on, I must give a big shout out to Mustapha and the Miscellany-Toronto-Then-Now crew. Such a wonderful Toronto Then and Now collection, Some of which have also been remixed! Thanks Mustapha! Here's one of them...

Looking east on Dundas west of Yonge 1980s - 2009
4602348815_b449130a2d_z.jpg

Two of my favourites you did, Aladone, were the ones of the Temple Building and of the Armouries. Great work!

great work.

Thanks!

OKay, so here's another one of my favs. I call it Sam's Generations. It's a three generation remix of ther same place. One from the 40s, one from the 90's and a present day mix. However, I passed by this place last week and it seems they are demolishing the whole thing? Can anyone confirm this?

4552704509_17ef971dff_z.jpg

5113878137_6fc29e9b30_z.jpg

Last edited:
i told ya all this time travel would break the space time continuum. i blame this all on that dude in drag who was captured talking on his cellphone in a film scene from that charlie chaplin movie.

i told ya all this time travel would break the space time continuum. i blame this all on that dude in drag who was captured talking on his cellphone in a film scene from that charlie chaplin movie.

Those familiar with the Toronto Archives have known for a long time that "dudes in drag" captured on film (with or without cellphones) were not isolated incidents:

ladypellatt.jpg

Back