News   Mar 28, 2024
 458     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 780     0 

New Streetcar windows wont open?!

Dandy Horse

Member Bio
Reaction score
This could be a serious problem. i love opening those windows and looking/ hearing outside. especially when someone smells gross or has a bad cough.

this isn't right!

Considering they did away with open-window subway cars ages ago, and these streetcars are supposed to be used on the underground LRT, I suppose it stands to reason.

They could replace the windows with HDTV screens with videos of sights and sounds playing as the streetcar is in use.

The new streetcars have high efficiency air conditioning and heating systems. They probably don't want the air escaping and don't want people sticking their arms out.

Both times I was on the air-conditioned streetcar this summer, the A/C was going full blast ... and all the windows were open.

Frequently I see buses with the A/C going ... and people still opening windows.

If the A/C is actually going to work ... seems not having windows that open is a solution.

If the A/C is actually going to work ... seems not having windows that open is a solution.
There's nothing wrong with not having opening windows provided that there is a recognition that functional AC in the summer becomes an operational requirement, not a nice to have, and broken AC means the vehicle must go out of service.

There's nothing wrong with not having opening windows provided that there is a recognition that functional AC in the summer becomes an operational requirement, not a nice to have, and broken AC means the vehicle must go out of service.
Agreed.

THe whole "keep arm in" thing is a liability nightmare. I once saw a little kid hanging his whole head out the window while on the 501 blasting down the Queensway. It's a matter of time before a kid with passive parents loses a limb because it was hanging out the window and hit a pole.

THe whole "keep arm in" thing is a liability nightmare. I once saw a little kid hanging his whole head out the window while on the 501 blasting down the Queensway. It's a matter of time before a kid with passive parents loses a limb because it was hanging out the window and hit a pole.
As the parent of a small child who I'm constantly having to remind not to stick their head out the window, I agree.

I'm always reminded of that subway driver in Montreal who had their head stuck out the cab window ... and lost it.

When that time arrives, it will score a big win for stupidity.

Wouldn't know whether to laugh or be livid with the parents.

This could be a serious problem. i love opening those windows and looking/ hearing outside. especially when someone smells gross or has a bad cough.

this isn't right!

Yeaahh, opening windows are a thing of the past, and were only useful if there was no climate control. Body emissions, passive or not, are a fact of life, these are just some of the things on mass transit everyone has to deal with or not.

Back