News   Apr 18, 2024
 453     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

New TTC Chair and Board

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Adam Giambrone is cleaning out his desk, and soon we'll have a new TTC Chair.

Who do you think will be chosen as TTC chair under Mayor Smitherman or Mayor Ford? What direction will your choice take the TTC?

Joe Mihevic is likely at the front of Smitherman's list.

What I do need help with is his policy. I don't know Mihevic very well, but I do know he's an enthusiastic proponent of Transit City. He's also in favour of the TTC's direct payment system.

What is Mihevic's positions on the DRL, customer service and modernization?

whoever it is, i hope they accelerate accessibility and get it complete. the other day, i was in a wheeltrans vehicle (contracted out) that smelled like someone took a piss inside of it and today i was almost involved in a collision because the driver went through a red light.

Number one requirement for a Toronto Transit Commission commissioner or chair is one who actually uses the TTC on a regular basis. That would leave out Rob Ford for certain.

Is that an actual requirement though

Number one requirement for a Toronto Transit Commission commissioner or chair is one who actually uses the TTC on a regular basis. That would leave out Rob Ford for certain.

That is something you want. There is no such requirement.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find Holyday as Chair and Ford as Vice-Chair. If he is serious about budget slashing then TTC and Police would both need to be scaled back. Of course, scaling back TTC will also scale back it's revenue creation.

This is doubly so if he wants to follow through on major modifications to TTC infrastructure (removal of streetcars from downtown, modifying waterfront Toronto plans/funding for streetcars included, stopping various contracts in place). You can't do that in a single term without the heavy hand of the mayor directly in control of the show.

Last edited:
Yes it would be nice to have a TTC chair who uses the system, that was one of Giambrone's good points. Nevertheless it doesen't have to be a factor, I don't know how many of the Metrolinx board use transit, but their plan for the GTA transit systems is still decent.

Joe Mihevic is likely at the front of Smitherman's list.

What I do need help with is his policy. I don't know Mihevic very well, but I do know he's an enthusiastic proponent of Transit City. He's also in favour of the TTC's direct payment system.

Transit City yes, open-fare (credit card) payment not so much. He made statements in the media making himself clear he's not as eager as Giambrone about this, and more likely to be swayed towards Presto as chair.

There's no requirement that the chair of the TTC actually use it, but it's certainly a big plus. Moscoe used it, but only the subway. Giambrone has been more likely to use surface transit, unusual amongst the chairs over the last while.

Holyday.
First he shares that intricate kinship with his fellow Etobicoker, the mayor.

Spoke to the man a few months ago and he just went on and on about the Eglinton LRT. That line is good as dead.

Last edited:
I looked up the list of current TTC Commissioners from council and damn what a massacre:

* Adam Giambrone, TTC Chair - didn't run; ruined couch
* Joe Mihevc, Vice Chair - won; endorsed Smitherman; probably not a good friend to Ford
* Maria Augimeri - barely won
* Sandra Bussin - lost
* Suzan Hall - lost
* Peter Milczyn - barely won; recount possible
* Ron Moeser - barely won
* Anthony Perruzza - won
* Bill Saundercook - lost

Back