Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
First Parliament Interpretive Centre
Front & Berkeley Streets, Toronto
Developer:
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: First Parliament Site (271 Front St E, City of Toronto)

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MBS View Post
    My ideal outcome would be a minimalistic/classic designed square with a spectacular fountain in the middle, and have the square's east and west edges lined with trees. Perhaps cherry blossoms? On the site to the north, I'd like to see all of these great ideas of librarys, public buildings, museums, etc. put into one large landmark of a building. Call it parliament square. Instant magnet for tourists, locals and investment. "Luxury condos just steps from Parliament Square"

I also like the idea of the surface to be made of FCP's marble. Or maybe the fountain? Or have marble be an accent in a granite or slate surface.

Anyways, this is a great opportunity for an international design competition or perhaps in the mean time UT's second design charette?
    Youre dreaming or fantasizing, it just wont happen.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Automation Gallery View Post
    Youre dreaming or fantasizing, it just wont happen.
    The city seems to want to make something happen here.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by junctionist View Post
    The city seems to want to make something happen here.
    I sure hope so but not with all that bling.

You're right that it just won't happen, but this city needs more dreamers. Best case scenario we get a nice public square. I'd settle for some public building with a tiny square, hopefully not as crappy as that vision shown earlier. But please, God(ford?), don't let there be a condo!
    -Oakville-Toronto-

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Automation Gallery View Post
    I sure hope so but not with all that bling.
    Maybe they could go the condo route to pay for it. Regardless, MBS' ideas don't suggest something that out of reach with some creativity towards making it happen. It's the discouragement of ambition and a culture of hastily turning to the most simple and dull approach that's perhaps the biggest thing we have to fear under a Rob Ford administration. We can't have someone jumping at every opportunity to say "that's impossible"; it's not constructive. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as more people become discouraged from wanting something great and working towards it. Those that do become isolated and on the margin of popular attitude.

I don't think the attitude you speak of 'began' with Rob Ford. He is just pandering to it.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tewder View Post
    I don't think the attitude you speak of 'began' with Rob Ford. He is just pandering to it.
    Yes, but it could get a lot more pervasive.

Quote Originally Posted by MBS View Post
    You're right that it just won't happen, but this city needs more dreamers. Best case scenario we get a nice public square. I'd settle for some public building with a tiny square, hopefully not as crappy as that vision shown earlier. But please, God(ford?), don't let there be a condo!
    This. Toronto lacks a good, decent-sized traditional square (YD Square doesn't really count). We likely had some in the past, but none now. I'd forgo any type of building on the site if we got this.

Default 271 Front Street East,

A rezoning application has been submitted for a proposed mixed-use development, comprised of two residential towers of 57s and 20s built with a 6 storey podium. The proposal includes 702 Residential units and 5 levels of underground parking with 540 parking spaces and retail at grade. This property is part of the block that is the First Parliament Site - this site contains sub-surface archaeological remnants of Canada's First Parliament buildings from 1798.
    UT Member Since February 2002

10. Default

^ Nathan Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in TO View Post
    A rezoning application has been submitted for a proposed mixed-use development, comprised of two residential towers of 57s and 20s built with a 6 storey podium. The proposal includes 702 Residential units and 5 levels of underground parking with 540 parking spaces and retail at grade. This property is part of the block that is the First Parliament Site - this site contains sub-surface archaeological remnants of Canada's First Parliament buildings from 1798.
    I don't get it, does this mean now that there is going to be a plaque at best on the site? it's just going to be another tower at an intersection that is in no way appropriate for 57s?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    Who are the architects?

If this proposal was just across the street I wouldn't be bothered by it at all. Too tall for the neighborhood? Look at the distillery. Thats the last place you'd think a tower would successfully fit in, and funny enough it is among the best in the city for enhancing the public realm and 'giving back' to the area. It hardly hinders the district at all. On top of that, the next two towers look even better.

My problem here, like I said before, is that this should be a large open square with a fountain. Its one of the last big unused sites downtown that actually has a reason to become a square other then just to make more open space.

The solution? who knows. Its complicated because this is probably just some guy getting more value for his land. If it is a serious proposal I wish there was some way the city could "trade" sites (I know, I know - fantasy land) and let them build even taller, The who cares if its too big? We get a supertall and a great public space out of it. Ok, back to reality...
    -Oakville-Toronto-

14. Default

The Bulletin newspaper had this article (link below) re: First Parliament site...and the negotiations thus far (with the 'Bresler family') over the last piece of the puzzle. Hopefully 'the family' will accept a land exchange.

http://www.thebulletin.ca/cbulletin/...6&cnid=1002750

Interesting. I really like the idea of a monument, or perhaps a commemorative archway at the end of the Esplanade. Actually I really like that street's potential, with it's vistas of the downtown and trees and park along the south side, it has potential to be a really nice boulevard.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast