News   Apr 26, 2024
 165     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 427     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Russell Carhouse (was: Leslieville streetcar yard)

Yoshimura

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's the Russell Carhouse. The TTC is keeping it for storage since the new yard only has storage space for half of the new fleet.

Is it being torn down as the Ashbridges Bay yard goes up? QUOTE]

In a word, no". The new yard at Leslie and Lakeshore is for the204 new streetcars, we will still have old ones for many years and they also need a home base. No doubt eventually it may be surplus, but not for several years.

The new yard at Leslie and Lakeshore is for the204 new streetcars,
The new LRV yard is only designed for 100 new streetcars. The Russell and Roncesvalle carhouses are both going to have to be used to handle the 204 new streetcars, even once all the ALRVs and the CLRVs are disposed of. Presumably there will be more than 204 new streetcars by 2020 if the Waterfront East and Bremner lines are constructed.

Bremner line? Is that really still in the cards? Haven't read about it in years.
I believe it was in the Chair's report to the TTC today. As they've been constructing the new piece of Bremner between Spadina and Bathurst, they've left an empty median in the middle ready for construction of tracks.

Cressy still brings it up as part of the Waterfront LRT, but I haven't heard anything from that project even briefly mention the option of using Bremner anymore.
Cassy needs an update, as the Bremmer line was not recommended to be in the official plan for the Waterfront Transit Plan under the last review and to be removed. Yet during the last meeting a few weeks ago, I was told the line is still being protected under the Loop expansion which is a laugh if the people mover replace it. Where does this dumb line run to and loop if the people mover replace the streetcar Loop???

City Place developer saw no need for the line, but was forced to protect for it with the centre median that there now. .

Cassy needs an update, as the Bremmer line was not recommended to be in the official plan for the Waterfront Transit Plan under the last review and to be removed. Yet during the last meeting a few weeks ago, I was told the line is still being protected under the Loop expansion which is a laugh if the people mover replace it. Where does this dumb line run to and loop if the people mover replace the streetcar Loop???

City Place developer saw no need for the line, but was forced to protect for it with the centre median that there now. .
If the City Place developer had insisted on the Bremner streetcar it might actually have been built and the traffic situation around City Place.might not be such a mess. However, I agree it's dead ...

Getting back to topic... is Russell going to be shut down partially or fully for refit like Roncesvalles once Ronces is fully reopened? I feel like there was a TTC slide last month which implied yard capacity was going to be capped in the next few years, but can’t remember which report it was in

Getting back to topic... is Russell going to be shut down partially or fully for refit like Roncesvalles once Ronces is fully reopened? I feel like there was a TTC slide last month which implied yard capacity was going to be capped in the next few years, but can’t remember which report it was in

Refit like Roncy, but it will only have the capacity to store cars, and not do maintenance then just yet.. Once the refit is done, then they can do minor maintenance on the Flexities

Last edited:
Russell got all (?) new tracks a couple of years ago and the 'ladder track' at the south end was totally reconstructed.

Russell got all (?) new tracks a couple of years ago and the 'ladder track' at the south end was totally reconstructed.
I remember that. Wonder what the overhead is like though for panto-friendliness.

I remember that. Wonder what the overhead is like though for panto-friendliness.

I wonder too. Roncesvalles is currently getting panto friendly at the minute, whether Russell will or not is likely if it stays open to serve as a yard for the Flexities. Sometimes currently, the 501 Flexities are parked at Russell overnight.

Back