530     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Pearson Airport to Viscount Parking Lot Train

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Flew in from Winnipeg today after a four day work trip. Parked my car at the Viscount Lot because I wanted to try that new'ish train from the lot to the terminals. I must say, having ridden the Relax Train in Hong Kong and other inter-terminal rails worldwide, the Toronto one is a bumpy cable pulled system, but overall still interesting and up to the task.

Hong Kong's Relax Train http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SFa4BpctD0M/SK1kb6wsETI/AAAAAAAACyU/6lMJ8iKq8dc/s1600-h/P1010672.JPG

Last edited:
I rode it for the first time the other day and it is a bit clunky, which is weird because it looks very sleek and modern and the expectation is that it would be a smooth and silent glide.

I wonder if the airport authority expected an Air Rail link much quicker than has come and in planning built the LINK train at a lower quality, anticipating that the ARL would be there shortly. I know that at one point they had planned to rough in a train station below the new Terminal One.

I wonder if the airport authority expected an Air Rail link much quicker than has come and in planning built the LINK train at a lower quality, anticipating that the ARL would be there shortly. I know that at one point they had planned to rough in a train station below the new Terminal One.

I remember the airport authority jokingly suggesting that if a rail link wasn't finalized soon, they'd build a museum where the transit terminal is supposed to go.

They roughed in the ARL station at Terminal 1 when the build the LINK station at T1; they are near each other. I don't see the relationship between the LINK quality and the ARL.

the old Terminal two parking lot now is under demolition.. and there is lot of construction trailors.. I believe they are going to start construction Pier G terminal one..

the old Terminal two parking lot now is under demolition.. and there is lot of construction trailors.. I believe they are going to start construction Pier G terminal one..

I haven't heard any talk about them actually starting that up. They could just be demolishing to get the demolishing out of the way?

I haven't heard any talk about them actually starting that up. They could just be demolishing to get the demolishing out of the way?

“In early 2011 we’ll commence with the demolition of the Terminal 2 garage. The future Pier G required that the old Terminal 2 was demolished and we carried that out a couple of years ago. We retained the parking garage at the time for staff parking, but we have since built another parking garage which opened a year ago.

“The apron construction will be done during the summer months and this will cover an area of approximately 40,000sqm. It’s a very important project and it’s needed to suit the future Pier G. It will allow us to offer additional aircraft parking, which is at a premium as Toronto Pearson continues to grow and we anticipate that this will be finished by December 2011.â€

He continued: “Pier G itself will have to be in operation as soon as we reach 38 million passengers a year. We don’t want to have it in place a year too early and we certainly don’t want to deliver it a year late, so we are monitoring this closely right now. This will include 22 new gates for Terminal 1 and the plan is for it to be operational in early 2017, but this is subject to constant review.â€

Source: http://www.airport-business.com/2011/01/gtaa-investment-driving-growth-at-toronto-pearson/

“In early 2011 we’ll commence with the demolition of the Terminal 2 garage. The future Pier G required that the old Terminal 2 was demolished and we carried that out a couple of years ago. We retained the parking garage at the time for staff parking, but we have since built another parking garage which opened a year ago.

“The apron construction will be done during the summer months and this will cover an area of approximately 40,000sqm. It’s a very important project and it’s needed to suit the future Pier G. It will allow us to offer additional aircraft parking, which is at a premium as Toronto Pearson continues to grow and we anticipate that this will be finished by December 2011.”

He continued: “Pier G itself will have to be in operation as soon as we reach 38 million passengers a year. We don’t want to have it in place a year too early and we certainly don’t want to deliver it a year late, so we are monitoring this closely right now. This will include 22 new gates for Terminal 1 and the plan is for it to be operational in early 2017, but this is subject to constant review.”

Source: http://www.airport-business.com/2011/01/gtaa-investment-driving-growth-at-toronto-pearson/

Thanks for the link. It's a good read. Nice to see that they plan to start the sixth runway in 2014 to be done for 2017.

My understanding was that the Link train is upgradable to self-propelled which would likely happen when the second T1 station came on line.

The airport installation is a Doppelmayr Cable Car system build on a light weight low resistance track system. There is no way to fit the motors under the existing cars to power the wheels and I doubt the lightweight frame of the track would support such a significant increase in weight. The only thing I recall hearing is that the concrete pylons were capable of supporting a monorail or other system, but the track and vehicles would need to be ripped out.

The airport installation is a Doppelmayr Cable Car system build on a light weight low resistance track system. There is no way to fit the motors under the existing cars to power the wheels and I doubt the lightweight frame of the track would support such a significant increase in weight. The only thing I recall hearing is that the concrete pylons were capable of supporting a monorail or other system, but the track and vehicles would need to be ripped out.
My bad - I shouldn't have said the link "train". I meant the structures not the vehicles.

Something like the Heathrow Pod (PRT system) would likely have done a better job at lower cost, given the low demand.

Something like the Heathrow Pod (PRT system) would likely have done a better job at lower cost, given the low demand.

I seriously doubt the lower cost assertion. That was essentially all that Pearson focused on when purchasing theirs (capital and operations).

Nice to see that they plan to start the sixth runway in 2014 to be done for 2017.

Not really.. I don't see a big need for any more runways.. The location they're planning for the runway will require moving a large cargo facility which really doesn't need moving. Keep in mind that London's Heathrow airport (far busier than YYZ) runs fine with only two runways. We don't need more than our current five.

Back