2.4K     4 

The Great American Streetcar Myth

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Great American Streetcar Myth

September 23rd, 2010

By Stephen Smith

Read More: http://marketurbanism.com/2010/09/23/the-great-american-streetcar-myth/

Among liberals in the planning profession today, the story of the Great American Streetcar Conspiracy is widely known. There are more nuanced variants, but it goes something like this: Streetcars were once plentiful and efficient, but then along came a bunch of car and oil companies like General Motors and Standard Oil, and they bought up all the streetcar companies, tore out their tracks and replaced the routes with buses, and ultimately set America on its present path to motorized suburban hell. Although the story dates back to a 1950 court conviction and was retold by academics and government employees throughout the ’60s and ’70s, the theory leapt into the public consciousness in 1988 with both a 60 Minutes piece and a fictionalized account in the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Even today it resonates with liberals – The Atlantic casually mentions it as the reason America abandoned mass transit, The Nation wrote a whole article about it a few years ago, Fast Food Nation discusses it, and in the last week I’ve seen two references to the theory in the planning blogosphere.

Though the story has embedded itself in the liberal worldview, it has little basis in reality. A cursory look at transportation history shows that motorization was already well underway by the time National City Lines – the holding company backed by GM, Firestone Tire, and Standard Oil, among others – started buying up transit companies in 1938. Other factors, often championed by progressives, had already drove the industry into decline and it was really only a matter of time before buses took over. Although General Motors and other car-centric companies were certainly lobbying the government in their favor, the progressive tendency to vilify private transit companies had already turned the public against streetcars, and local governments were already heavily predisposed towards motorization by the late ’30s. It is perhaps because of this progressive complicity in streetcars’ demise, along with continued loyalty to state ownership and regulatory power, that the modern liberal narrative omits the true reasons for the decline of streetcars in America.

By the time the automobile really hit the scene, the streetcar had been around for about as long as the car’s been around today. First powered by horses in the 1830s, later by steam-powered cable systems, and finally by electricity, it’s fair to say that the streetcar was a deeply entrenched mode of transit by the beginning of the 20th century. But while the streetcar gained in popularity, the industry also attracted a cruft of regulation and corruption that dogged it till its dying day. Bribery was endemic in the awarding of service franchises, and their exclusive monopolies (often granted by the government) didn’t do much to endear them to the public, either. Ironically, though, it was these exclusive contracts that eventually brought streetcars down. Eager to receive guarantees on their large up-front investments, streetcar operators agreed to contract provisions that held fares constant at five cents and mandated that rail line owners maintain the pavement around their tracks. These rules made sense in the 19th century – inflation was a relatively minor phenomenon until World War I, and horses were rather destructive to the cobblestone streets – but as the next century dawned, these provisions grew increasingly anachronistic and would soon lead to the streetcar’s downfall.

The five-cent fare became a birthright to early 20th century voters and was a third-rail to politicians, not unlike toll-free roads today. Even when wartime inflation eroded the value of the nickel to half its prewar value, local governments would not release streetcar operators from their obligations to charge the uniform fare for all trips, no matter the distance. (Some have argued that this absence of zone pricing, which was so common in Europe, was itself sprawl-inducing, as it made living in far-off suburbs no more expensive than living closer to the city center.) The paving requirements, too, turned out to be poisonous to the industry. When automobiles started arriving in cities, their roads were literally being paid for by the competition, despite the fact that horses had long been phased out, and electric streetcars ran on dedicated tracks and didn’t touch the pavement. Organized labor also took its toll on the streetcar, driving up wages in a heavily labor-intensive industry where the competition – jitneys, municipal buses, and automobiles – had much fewer labor restrictions (not to mention lower or nonexistent tax burdens).

While I don't like the cultural warrior tone of this author (liberals vs. conservatives), I agree with a lot of what he says. Streetcars were not killed by some GM conspiracy, but rather because their private operators failed to invest properly in maintenance and focused on building a system that was meant to stimulate real estate development on the fringes, and not serve existing customers. If you look at photos of LA's famed Pacific Electric system from the 1920s and 30s - well before they were dismantling tracks - you see a dilapidated collection of rolling stock trundling along weedy, jointed track. The horror stories of the privately-run TRC and their abysmal track conditions that the TTC inherited justify this point closer to home.

The five-cent fare became a birthright to early 20th century voters and was a third-rail to politicians, not unlike toll-free roads today. Even when wartime inflation eroded the value of the nickel to half its prewar value, local governments would not release streetcar operators from their obligations to charge the uniform fare for all trips, no matter the distance. (Some have argued that this absence of zone pricing, which was so common in Europe, was itself sprawl-inducing, as it made living in far-off suburbs no more expensive than living closer to the city center.) The paving requirements, too, turned out to be poisonous to the industry. When automobiles started arriving in cities, their roads were literally being paid for by the competition, despite the fact that horses had long been phased out, and electric streetcars ran on dedicated tracks and didn’t touch the pavement. Organized labor also took its toll on the streetcar, driving up wages in a heavily labor-intensive industry where the competition – jitneys, municipal buses, and automobiles – had much fewer labor restrictions (not to mention lower or nonexistent tax burdens).

This is actually a right-of-centre argument that I entertain. If the city of Toronto allowed privately-run jitney and van services to operate - especially in the suburban 416 - the massively bloated, publicly-run TTC would be essentially finished except for the subway and some of the more high frequency/ridership bus and streetcar routes. In the end, this would actually serve the public a great deal better than some top-down public transit agency that is caught in path-dependent thinking and old models of line management that don't square with a dispersed, suburban populace (and trip generators).

Beyond that, the author and I part ways. If there's anything I learn from the streetcar debacle of the early 20th century, it was that there wasn't enough regulation of private operators. I would support a large private network of jitney operators in this city, but they must be held to a certain level of accountability.

Last edited:
There were a number of publicly owned street railways that abandoned their streetcars as well - Detroit (municipal operation since 1920, streetcars abandoned 1955), Ottawa (Ottawa Civic Railways, streetcars abandoned 1959), Montreal (Montreal Transportation Commission finished the abandonment started by the private Montreal Tramways Company), Vancouver (owned by BC Hydro, but switched to trolley buses), Kitchener (owned by the PUC, switched to trolley buses), Cleveland (they were kept though on the then-private Shaker Heights Rapid Transit while the public Cleveland Transportation Service abandoned their streetcars).

GM, Standard Oil were convicted of anti-trust laws, but only because they were selling NCL their own products in a vertical monopoly. It had little to do with replacing streetcars with buses for the hell of it - it was style of the time amongst NCL, other private operators and even most public operators (even the TTC was planning to phase out streetcars from the 1960s through to the early 1970s).

I also disagreed with the tone of the article, but it is mostly factually correct.

This is actually a right-of-centre argument that I entertain. If the city of Toronto allowed privately-run jitney and van services to operate - especially in the suburban 416 - the massively bloated, publicly-run TTC would be essentially finished except for the subway and some of the more high frequency/ridership bus and streetcar routes. In the end, this would actually serve the public a great deal better than some top-down public transit agency that is caught in path-dependent thinking and old models of line management that don't square with a dispersed, suburban populace (and trip generators).

How would private companies make any money charging people $3/trip for jitney/bus service in the suburbs? Wouldn't it be significantly more expensive for users? Would it be on-demand from point to point or follow set routes & schedules? If this kind of thing has the potential to kill public transit systems, why hasn't that happened anywhere in the developed world (as far as I know)?

I'm not saying I don't think this kind of thing should be legal, but I don't see it having much of an impact on anything.

How would private companies make any money charging people $3/trip for jitney/bus service in the suburbs? Wouldn't it be significantly more expensive for users? Would it be on-demand from point to point or follow set routes & schedules? If this kind of thing has the potential to kill public transit systems, why hasn't that happened anywhere in the developed world (as far as I know)?

I'm not saying I don't think this kind of thing should be legal, but I don't see it having much of an impact on anything.

The jitneys grew out a dissatisfaction or an inadequacy in the transit system. Hamilton had a major jitney problem because the private operator of the HSR in the 1910s and early 1920s neglected the system, and the city, not happy with the HSR, did little to discourage the illegal jitneys.

New York has a system of jitneys in the boroughs, though it operates only semi-legitimately, and there are problems.

The closest thing I've seen to a "jitney" service are the line-haul minibuses in Latin American countries. I've rode these minibuses in Mexico City, Merida Mexico and Bogota. There's many operators that run on fixed routes at fixed fares. The destinations and areas passed by are printed on signs (or painted) on the windshield. They contrast to the publicly operated metro in Mexico City and BRT buses in Mexico City (Metrobus) and Bogota (TransMillenio).

China's buses, especially in second and third tier cities (like Changchun, where I was), the buses run on numbered routes and are centrally coordinated, but also operate on the mini-bus type multi-operator system.

I note that this works in high-density cities in middle-income countries, and is the standard in much of Africa and Asia.

The standard in high-income countries is to have either a publicly owned system or a publically managed and controlled system with private operators contracted to do particular routes, either in a standard livery (London, YRT) or a corporate livery (Britain cities outside of London).

Last edited:
The suggestion that the TTC, which covers more of its costs through the farebox than any other system in the Western world, is "massively-bloated" is absurd.

I once read that a lot of the maintenance required for the lines was cut back due to WWII, so after the war the rails were in piss poor condition.

That's an interesting point and one I hadn't considered. If you're running a private streetcar company, I suppose the upkeep of the tracks comes out of your pocket. But if you switch to buses, well... maintaining the route is city hall's job, not yours. I imagine the savings made a lot of sense. That strikes me as more likely than a deliberate conspiracy to do them in. In the end, GM (et al.) could have made money selling either buses or streetcars, so the it was probably six of one, half-dozen of the other to guys like them.

Buses usually operated with just the driver collecting fares as people entered. Streetcars (pre-PCC) had a driver and a conductor. In fact, the Peter Witt streetcar trains on pre-subway Toronto had 3, a driver and a conductor in the motor car and in the trailer car. Union rules or city by-laws were the usual requirement for those rules.

Another problem was that some cities required the transit companies to pave the space between the tracks. This free paving then allowed automobiles (and buses) to use the paved space for free. Another cost.

Presentation is also another problem streetcars face. Streetcars can last 30 years. Buses have to be replaced more often, which also presents a "new" vehicle much more often than streetcars.

s0071_it4199.jpg

s0071_it1406.jpg

s0648_fl0126_id0002.jpg

s0648_fl0038_id0002.jpg

s0648_fl0085_id0005.jpg

Uuuugggghhhhhhhh I did not plan on posting but I just could not resist to respond to some bigotry over here.

The streetcar conspiracy is a fact. There is nothing to dispute about it being a myth. The companies were fined - a small amount- but in court they were found guilty.

A cursory look at transportation history shows that motorization was already well underway by the time National City Lines – the holding company backed by GM, Firestone Tire, and Standard Oil, among others – started buying up transit companies in 1938.

Well yeah, but anyone who bothered to look at this stuff would know that the conspiracy started before NCL. *rolls eyes at this logic presented*

Other factors, often championed by progressives, had already drove the industry into decline and it was really only a matter of time before buses took over.

This also is not true. If anything the industry was better in the 1930s - they produced the new PCC streetcar, which kicked the ass out of the bus, and even the trolleybus.

I once read that a lot of the maintenance required for the lines was cut back due to WWII, so after the war the rails were in piss poor condition.

Is this the best explanation that one can get for the elimination of almost all the streetcar/tram systems?!
It's so juvenile, good or a naive little kid.

Streetcars were not killed by some GM conspiracy, but rather because their private operators failed to invest properly in maintenance and focused on building a system that was meant to stimulate real estate development on the fringes, and not serve existing customers.

There are certainly some reasons for reducing the size of systems. But the complete gutting of entire systems is not explained by this simple reasoning.

I just want to barf when I see people defending the highway lobby here.

For a start go check out a movie called taken for a ride. That's the basic intro.

Next one could look into an outstanding book such as "the motorization of american cities" by st. clair.
St. Clair also published an article in an economic journal - you can easily get it off of the jstor databse - in which he proved that snell's hypothesis was correct. St. clair proved that indeed the street-cars were more economic.

When one starts spewing crap that "oh street-cars are less economic" it's usually because those pricks compare old street-cars before the good ol' PCC.

In chicago for example there were separate streetcar and elevated (metro) line companies. When they finally got unified by the creation of the public operator, the CTA, they immediately gutted a number of these lines. Some street-car lines went right under the elevated lines. Like wtf man, that is just the failure of competition sometimes.
So, naturally there are some examples where some lines oughta have been eliminated or shortened. But the wholescale elimination is a whole other matter, it is a conspiracy, for the buses were inferior. It was a conspiracy.

So um yeah, there was st clair's book. Another one that is not too bad is a more recent book, Mass Motorization and Mass Transit: An American History and Policy Analysis by David W. Jones. DeWitt's book, Urban Elites and Mass Transportation touches on this a bit. This stuff is just all over the place.
But it is in contradiction to the same bullshit theory that the corporate interests want us to believe. Screw the corporations and their facade that they all like us. They don't, they love their profits, that is the only reason why exist, and that is their only purpose, to increase those profits while selling us a story how their interests are in fact our interests too.

edit: here is that documentary taken for a ride...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2486235784907931000#

I had to watch it for the seventh time recently, in some planning class. Almost went nuts 'cause I've seen it so many times. But it's good. It is in here that you can particularly see the kind of bullshit that the auto-lobby used in attacking the street-cars. Telling that the fumes of cars are not proven to cause any harm to people whatsoever? And other such stuff. Makes ya want to barf, doesn't it?

Hm, lets see what else I can pull out of ... hmm... ah yeah, "from streetcar to superhighway" by mark frasier.
The literature on this is quite extensive. Fraiser's book is particularly good as it notes some of the problems with streetcars themselves, on top of the conspiracy. One interesting note that he makes is that mass transit ridership was so high during ww2 that concern for it went away. :(

Last edited:

Back