News   Mar 28, 2024
 264     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 296     0 

Blast from the Past: Consumers Distributing in Don Mills

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score

I clearly remember Consumers Distributing, as it was in my local mall growing up. I remember how it brought the Soviet shopping experience to Canadians - fill out form, wait in line, find out item was not in stock.

In the early 1990s, it tried to rebrand itself with a new logo and superstores that would have more items on display and would guarantee things in stock, but even then, it was not always so.

Consumers Distributing went bankrupt in 1996 - this, behind the Don Mills Centre, obviously was not leased since then, hidden from traffic. So it was quite the surprise to see the old Consumers Distributing sign still up and in good shape.

And it's the *old* logo--though interestingly, the building's fairly new (looks c1990 mild brick Pomo)

I remember that the big sign outside the Georgetown store remained for two or three years after the store closed down. It eventually became a Sears catalogue store... which is an interesting coincidence.

When the Blockbusters at that location closed in June, they took down their signage, revealing Consumers Distributing. I just keep telling everyone that it must be opening soon. I can dream, can't I ??

Back when I worked retail, we used to dream of shifting the store to a Consumers Distributing-style operation, to keep from having to constantly clean up displays after the more entitled customers took them apart/sat on them/spilled Frappucinos on them/etc.

every once and a while you can still see a CD trailer with faded paint going down the highway or parked somewhere. but to find store signage still up is absolutley a rare find. buying something at CD was the analog version of shopping online.

every once and a while you can still see a CD trailer with faded paint going down the highway or parked somewhere. but to find store signage still up is absolutley a rare find. buying something at CD was the analog version of shopping online.

I see a trailer marked CD on my drive home from work regularly on Tomken somewhere south of Derry.

Everyone: I remember CD myself-there was one about two miles from where I live here on LI and I wondered what became of those stores...thanks to UT I now know that the Toronto area had them also...LI MIKE

This is the most apt description of CD ever. Great thread!

I was thrilled to hear Terry O'Reilly use the quote in his last episode of "Under the Influence" describing famous lost brands. I thought I heard or read it elsewhere, but Googled the quote and this was the only relevant hit. (My photo above was also used on the UtI website).

Last edited:
If you are ever in the UK, Argos does a similar type catalogue store
Argos+Catalogue.jpg

I used to love the CD in Square One when I was a kid. If my memory serves me right, it was by the Merry-Go-Round/Old Bulk Barn

The CD catalogue (along with my mum's Chatelaine) was always present on our coffee table. Lol. x

If you are ever in the UK, Argos does a similar type catalogue store
Argos+Catalogue.jpg

Lol! I visited an Argos twice whilst I was visiting my friends in London. I remember saying "this is exactly like Consumer's Distributing!" Filling out the form, waiting in line... Flashback.

Back