News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 574     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 877     0 

Anyone have information on TTC Transit Operator jobs?

Colvis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi there. I have been browsing around on this site for a few months and finally decided to sign up. I'm very interested on the topics brought up not only in this section, but throughout the whole site. As a Torontonian (Live in Brampton, Born in Toronto) I like to keep updated on different issues and topics that relate to my city.

I was keen on getting a job as a transit operator, preferbaly as a bus driver. I have ALWAYS been interested in buses and public transportation in general. I favour it over the car. This is why I want a job as a bus driver. It pays well, I get to meet people (some nice, others not), I get to explore the city and I don't really mind driving around for hours a day to be honest... Many people my age don't set their goals in life to be a bus driver, however I do and personally I don't care what others think. Some of my cousins are struggling to pay back 50, 000 bucks in debt from their Universities.

I don't know if I was right starting a thread on this kind of topic HERE, but it was the only site (other than canadian public transit board) that I could find. And there arn't any websites dedicated to public transport where other people employed within the TTC can answer you're questions. I know I won't get a job out of high school obviously and it will take me a few years, but I would like to know what I can do to get a job with them or any other transit service in the GTA. Two of my uncles work in the TTC office, and I am a visible minority, maybe this will help? Any information is welcome.

Last edited:
i wish I had a TTC union book . curious about their actual wages , even though TTC is easy union money , I would rather work for GO-Transit , they are way more professional

I just starting taking the Go-Bus only few months and , and what difference !!!!!! I was amazed at how professional the drivers and staff were , i will never go back to using TTC again

ever think about becoming a truck driver and gaining experience , then moving into public transit ??

Well I don't really care what bus I drive to be honest. Just as long as its city transit and in the GTA. I was thinking about trucking, however trucking jobs along with college jobs are hard to find at an entry level position.

I believe there are a couple of active TTC operators on this board, and my father was an operator for 30 years, so I'll try to answer any questions you have.

I can't say for certain whether being a visible minority helps or not, but I suspect it does. The TTC has always been one of the better city organizations for viz-mins and others to get a foot in the door in the Toronto public service, and I suspect that you will be looked upon favourably. And you have two uncles working there already, so that *certainly* helps, but not as much as it used to. When I was your age, a word or two from my dad to the right people and I could have gotten in if I had wanted to. I don't know if they've tightened that up, but certainly talk to your uncles.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you need to know. It's not an easy job, the pay isn't as high as people think it is, and there is a lot of crap you'll encounter that renders a thick skin very useful. A driver was stabbed just the other day at Brimley and Steeles, so good luck to you. My dad doesn't miss it, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I asked a TTC operator about this topic, and he informed that you have to be atleast 21 years old to apply, and, that a college education would be preferred. Have you checked out this siyte? http://www3.ttc.ca/Jobs/index.jsp

I personally prefer being a train operator.

Yea, I will probably go to college, but what kind of experience will I need to beef up my resume? As for you saying the pay doesn't seem so great to many people; I calculated union dues, taxes etc and the average person starting off brings home about 35,000 bucks. Thats more than enough for my kind of lifestyle.

This thread on a transit-related forum might be helpfull to you. It is updated with links to current offerings and also you can hear the advice from established transit operators. There are a few members there who are in the same position as yourself in trying to become a transit operator.

Back