613     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 418     0 

Should e-bikes be licensed?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Living downtown I invariably see a dozen or so of those e-bikes, styled as Vespa scooters being operated like bicycles weaving in and out of traffic, running red lights and stop signs, no helmets on adult operators, etc.

As a motorcyclists, I have to follow the highway traffic act. If my motorcycle had an electric instead of gas engine, and could not exceed 40-50 kph (which I rarely can when riding downtown), the highway traffic act would not apply.

I think it's time for e-bikes to the treated the same as any other motorcycle. You should need an M class license to ride one, carry insurance and the vehicle should be licensed and plated. Within the next 20 years or so, we'll start to see many "regular" motorcycles moving to electric engines, so might as well deal with the e-bikes now.

I'm fine with electric assist bikes not be licensed or covered under the HTA. But the bikes primary propulsion should be peddle power. If the bike's electric engine can be used without the peddles turning, it's an e-bike and should be regulated.

E-bikes can't go 40-50 km/hr unless illegally modified, their maximum speed is 32 km/hr. They are subject to the Highway Traffic Act just like a cyclist on a regular bicycle would be (although regular bicycles can travel faster than 32 km/hr).

E-bikes can't go 40-50 km/hr unless illegally modified, their maximum speed is 32 km/hr. They are subject to the Highway Traffic Act just like a cyclist on a regular bicycle would be (although regular bicycles can travel faster than 32 km/hr).

They could go faster than 32 km/h when they are going downhill, just like bicycles. So both e-bikes and bicycles could be charged for breaking the Highway Traffic Act for speeding.

E-bikes generally have the same motors like electric mobility scooters. It is the wheel size, mass, and gearing that gives them their speed. We should also go after them as well.

Mobility_scooter_zoo.jpg

Mobility scooters driving on the wrong side of the path.

I have a beef with e-bikes. The pedals on an E-bike are like the forearms on a Tyrannosaurus Rex, Completely vestigial. I see a lot of riders around who have just removed the pedals out of convenience. If a bike cannot be moved at a reasonable speed without the assistance of a hill or motor, than it should be licensed, and it should also be illegal to remove pedals from e-bikes. On the other hand, I am completely fine with electrically assisted bicycles which are mostly bicycle and less scooter.

Absolutely. I love the idea of the electric-assist bicycles - they look like a bicycle but with a battery and motor and the pedals do most of the work. I am not a fan of the "e-bikes" that are just electric Vespas.

For one, I would not be offended if an electric-assist bike used a off-road trail or a bike lane, but would with those Daytek type "bikes".

Absolutely. I love the idea of the electric-assist bicycles - they look like a bicycle but with a battery and motor and the pedals do most of the work. I am not a fan of the "e-bikes" that are just electric Vespas.

For one, I would not be offended if an electric-assist bike used a off-road trail or a bike lane, but would with those Daytek type "bikes".

I agree, we have several e-bike riders in our area that feel they can use the sidewalk as well as the street; such speeds are a hazard to pedestrians.

Isn't Segway illegal in Canada? Are there any regulations in Ontario regarding electric non-automotive vehicles other than speed limits?

The licensing requirements for gas vespas and motorcycles are different no? Why should e-bikes be held to a higher standard than gasoline vespas?

I agree, we have several e-bike riders in our area that feel they can use the sidewalk as well as the street; such speeds are a hazard to pedestrians.

I was just thinking about this morning because I'm seeing more and more of the Vespa-type ebikes on the Martin Goodman trail.

Back