News   Mar 28, 2024
 529     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Status of Transit City projects

Riverman

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just wondering about what is happening with the Transit City projects, in particular the Eglington line. I heard it was chopped but the website does not mention any cancellation of funds. I don't live in Toronto (yet) so I miss most local news.

Thank you.

Thanks Justin, I'm familiar with that but it appears the website has not been updated in some time. I read somewhere that the Eglington line was chopped (July?) but can't find it now.
The line was delayed a couple of years, and everything west of Jane was moved to Phase 2 that is post-2020; the website is up-to-date and shows the current schedule and phasing.

The province made some 'adjustments' to their funding plan in the spring, and this was the result:

tc-cut.jpeg

And the definitive answer is: Preliminary work aside, TC projects are all up in the air until after the election.

They're almost decidedly not - Metrolinx has taken ownership of these projects and any mayor would have to work with them to change anything.

He meant the 2011 provincial election :)

Anyway, TTC is still acting as manager and takes direction from its board. They could stall tendering contracts for a while until the provincial election is well into full swing.

Metrolinx is finding it difficult to manage GOs workload and cannot easily take on Transit City too without a large staff transfer to Metrolinx from TTC; that type of manoeuvre would be damn difficult to pull off while campaigning.

Last edited:
He meant the 2011 provincial election
That's not until October 2011. By then the trackwork for Sheppard East will have started, and they will have started construction on the western portal for the Eglinton RT. Finch and Scarborough RT are clearly up for negotiation; though I don't see a suwbay working on Finch West.

That's not until October 2011. By then the trackwork for Sheppard East will have started, and they will have started construction on the western portal for the Eglinton RT. Finch and Scarborough RT are clearly up for negotiation; though I don't see a suwbay working on Finch West.

Anything not accepted by the board by the end of the September 30th meeting will be up to the new TTC board, as appointed by the new mayor, to approve/not approve/retender/defer to the next meeting/etc.

Simply adjusting TTC engineering and project management staffing levels back to what they were in 2003 would make proceeding on Transit City pretty damn difficult and that is defensible as a subsidy reduction measure.

Last edited:

Back