846     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8K     2 

Rob Ford's Transit plan

Ansem

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tor...or-subways-ford-unveils-his-transit-plan?bn=1

Rob Ford says it’s time to stop Toronto’s “war on cars†and build subways instead of streetcar lines.

The frontrunner in Toronto’s mayoral race also wants to replace some current streetcar lines with buses, although Ford doesn’t specify which lines would be scrapped.

He also wants to end what he calls the city’s “irrational approach†to bike lanes by building a series of companion pedestrian-cycling trails.

The cornerstone of Ford’s long-awaited transit plan, released late Tuesday, would be the expansion of the Sheppard subway line, with 12 kilometres of additional track and 10 new stations from Downsview to the Scarborough Town Centre. The project, he says, would cost $3 billion.

He also wants to extend the Bloor-Danforth subway from Kennedy to the Scarborough Town Centre for $1 billion.

Ford suggests that moving ahead on Mayor David Miller’s Transit City light rail vehicle plan is madness and will only increase gridlock on Toronto’s suburban avenues.

Instead, he wants to renegotiate the deal the city already has with the province, which would see Queen’s Park pay $8.15 billion over the next decade for light rail transit expansion – including an underground portion on Eglinton.

The city began building a subway along Eglinton once before, but when the province killed the funding in favour of building the under-capacity Sheppard line, the hole at Eglinton was filled in.

Ford’s plan remains silent on whether the Eglinton light rail line would again be killed off. It also fails to suggest how feasible it would be to halt the light rail project currently underway on Sheppard Ave.

His platform suggests he would invest more in road repairs and expansion at a cost of $700 million but it doesn’t say where that money would come from.

So the guy who's all about fiscal restraint wants to build more subways? With what money?

This guy makes Mel Lastman look like Richard Daley.

He also wants to extend the Bloor-Danforth subway from Kennedy to the Scarborough Town Centre for $1 billion.
He wants to run subways on the SRT right-of-way. I'm so glad that he has thoroughly researched his proposal. :)

Im not a transit buff at all, but on the surface this sounds like a good place to start

I think that despite how feasible/not this plan may be, it will definitely resonate with suburban voters...i find it hard to believe, but if I was eligible to vote for TO mayor I think id find myself voting for Ford...

So the guy who's all about fiscal restraint wants to build more subways? With what money?

According to his plan, he's going to take the money the province has agreed to provide for Transit City ($3.7 billion) and put that towards his subway. Yes, I'm sure the province, which created the organization that specifically came up with the Transit City lines, is going to decide that yeah, Rob Ford's idea is much better than the one we've been planning for the past several years and he can spend out money however he wishes.

Oh, and he'll also somehow raise $1 billion by selling 'development rights' along the subway corridor. You know, rights to build on land the city doesn't currently own.

In that vein, I'd like to sell you development rights for some prime land on Glen Rd in Rosedale. Yours for only $1000. Ignore the fact I don't actually own that land.

Oh, and he'll also somehow raise $1 billion by selling 'development rights' along the subway corridor. You know, rights to build on land the city doesn't currently own.

It is possible to increase fees and property tax levels in areas around public transit. What he stated in the past was selling air-rights to land over the subway station.

Given that this actually makes it more expensive to construct the building (active subway station below) that's going to make it somewhat challenging. I would also expect developers to sue and win that lawsuit if the city expropriated more than the minimal amount of land with the explicit intention of making a profit on it by reselling later on; as the city would now essentially be a developer themselves.

I'm sure most Torontonians are in favour of more subways but not a subway that travels across the top of the city. The Eglinton cross-town and a Dowtown relief line are the way to go.

And now for something completely wrong, a word from your pro-car candidate:

[video=youtube;_xfsIj6gYAw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfsIj6gYAw[/video]

And he expects the subways he wants will be done in 4 years. It took 3 of planning, design, and government agreements just to get started on Sheppard East and Eglinton.

And where's the Downtown Relief Line to replace the streetcars he wants to get rid of? Shouldn't he do that first before getting rid of them?

Last edited:
According to his plan, he's going to take the money the province has agreed to provide for Transit City ($3.7 billion) and put that towards his subway. Yes, I'm sure the province, which created the organization that specifically came up with the Transit City lines, is going to decide that yeah, Rob Ford's idea is much better than the one we've been planning for the past several years and he can spend out money however he wishes.

Huh? Where did you ever dream that up? Metrolinx didn't come up with Transit City at all. In fact, Transit City predates The Big Move. Heck, TC even predates Metrolinx itself! All Metrolinx did was encorporate the TTC's plan into their regional transit strategy.

Check his plan, he says $300 million, not $1 billion. And given the fact that there will be 10 new stations built, $30 million per station for land around it is not an unreasonable assumption. And if the City buys the land to put the station on, they own the land, and thus they can sell development rights overtop of that land. Makes sense to me.

Huh? Where did you ever dream that up? Metrolinx didn't come up with Transit City at all. In fact, Transit City predates The Big Move. Heck, TC even predates Metrolinx itself! All Metrolinx did was encorporate the TTC's plan into their regional transit strategy.

Mea culpa, I got that one wrong.

I guess I should restate the point to be that the provincial agency (Metrolinx) has bought into TC (or what TC has been cut back to). What are the chances they would suddenly change gears and cancel TC to fund Ford subways? (It's one thing to cancel planned projects saying 'we don't have the money', but another to say 'we were wrong to spend all this time and money on TC and instead will start from scratch on a whole new scheme'.)

Check his plan, he says $300 million, not $1 billion. And given the fact that there will be 10 new stations built, $30 million per station for land around it is not an unreasonable assumption. And if the City buys the land to put the station on, they own the land, and thus they can sell development rights overtop of that land. Makes sense to me.

His plan is that $1 billion would be raised by selling 'development rights along subway corridors'. Of that $1 billion, $300 million would go towards the subway (which, at his costing of $4 billion for 12km, would build about 1km of line).

I simply do not grasp the economics of that concept of selling 'development rights'.

As a previous poster pointed out, building directly on top of a subway station (do you do it as part of the subway construction, making the project last longer or do you wait until after the subway is open, causing all kinds of inconvenience to riders?) is not the easiest of tasks.

If you are a big time developer, why wouldn't you just buy the land across the street and build there? Not only would you not have to worry about building on top of the station, but you wouldn't be subject to the city's extortion pricing of land (since presumably his $1 billion is net funds after buying the land in the first place, he's obviously really marking up the value prior to selling to developers). You'd still be just as convenient to transit for your tenants or condo buyers.

For that matter, why wouldn't property flippers be buying the subway land now under the assumption that its value will go up when the line is built (and therefore make a profit selling to the city so the city can make a profit selling to some other sucker who wants to build something)?

It shouldn't be any surprise to anyone someone who is as anti-Transit as Ford would put forward a plan that cuts express bus service, cuts streetcar service, cancels the subway under Eglinton, cancels the Finch RT, etc.

It shouldn't be any surprise that it takes the money that the federal and provincial government of Ontario is putting forward to build the Sheppard LRT and redirects it to the Sheppard subway.

There are a few things here that just surprise me.

He states he will take the $3.7 billion that Metrolinx is planning to spend between now and 2015 to build his 2 subway lines. This money is detailed on page 25 of Metrolinx's recent presentation. $1.1 billion comes from the Sheppard LRT, $1.8 billlion comes from the Eglinton LRT, and $0.8 billion comes from the York VIVA project.

That's right folks, Rob Ford has just promised to cancel a Region of York transit project to pay for his subway extension.

It is a truly moronic proposal - providing two subway lines to SCC with nothing for Eglinton or anywhere else (forget DRL). And buses for streetcars producing less traffic? Right.

AoD

It is a truly moronic proposal - providing two subway lines to SCC with nothing for Eglinton or anywhere else (forget DRL). And buses for streetcars producing less traffic? Right.

AoD

Had he not have proposed the reduced bus and streetcar service, and maybe done B-D to STC and the DRL, I probably would have been on board with it. But as the plan stands now, and just because it's Rob Ford, and I know if he gets elected none of this will actually happen (aside from the cuts in service, you can bet your ass those will be implemented asap), I'm not on board with this at all.

Back