News   Apr 25, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 508     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 756     0 

Has the Flight Path for Pearson International Airport Changed?

allanc

Member Bio
Reaction score
We live just south east of Dufferin and Finch.

We have noticed that there are planes flying over our location frequently (every couple of minutes) recently.
This seemed to have started early Sunday mornings several weeks ago.
Last night (Friday night / Saturday morning) the planes were *very* noticeable until at least 1:30 am and we had to close the windows as we could not fall asleep.
This morning (Saturday) we could hear the planes but not as frequently.

Does anyone know if this is permanent?

Thank you in advance.

Allan C.

Others will know more, but from what I understand flight paths can vary due to wind directions. We notice the same thing downtown with Porter, usually the planes do not come over us (east end of downtown) but every so often for a few hours or days there will be many planes. I think there are dominant wind directions that lead to the "normal" flight paths, and then less common wind directions that cause variations in the flight paths.

We live just south east of Dufferin and Finch.

We have noticed that there are planes flying over our location frequently (every couple of minutes) recently.
This seemed to have started early Sunday mornings several weeks ago.
Last night (Friday night / Saturday morning) the planes were *very* noticeable until at least 1:30 am and we had to close the windows as we could not fall asleep.
This morning (Saturday) we could hear the planes but not as frequently.

Does anyone know if this is permanent?

Thank you in advance.

Allan C.

Well planes were always flying over York U whenever I was there with some frequency. I mean, Dufferin-Finch is right on the flight path of 05-23, so I would doubt this is something that new. Perhaps it's a shift in wind or something? That's usually the case on the waterfront. Porter planes are only noticeable when the wind is moving in a certain direction.

Dufferin and Finch is in the normal flight path for landings. They land coming in over Meadowvale Streetsville or your area most of the time depending on winds. Generally when the winds are out of the west, south-west, or south your area is the flight path, when the winds are out of the north, north-east, or east then normally Meadowvale and Streetsville are in the flight path. The less common flight paths are over Long Branch Markland Woods and eastern Bramalea for winds from the north-west and south-east.

Living in the flight path of many a plane at Pearson, I have no patience for other people who complain about a little bit of extra noise.

Living in the flight path of many a plane at Pearson, I have no patience for other people who complain about a little bit of extra noise.

Exactly how I feel. It was never an issue for my family where we lived (Mavis/Britannia). Over time, you don't even notice it anymore.

Dufferin and Finch is in the normal flight path for landings/takeoffs at Pearson, but I wonder if the Air Show has altered things slightly and made that route busier than normal...

@allanc let us know what happens after Labour day

Exactly how I feel. It was never an issue for my family where we lived (Mavis/Britannia). Over time, you don't even notice it anymore.
Mavis Britannia is pretty bad too ... I'm not sure how you don't notice it, given if your standing in the back yard, you have to stop talking while the jet if flying over every 3-4 minutes. I live under one of the flight-paths to the island, and while you hear a plane go over, I've never had to stop talking while they do.

But I agree ... don't see any reason to complain ... all those homes post-date the airport.

Mavis Britannia is pretty bad too ... I'm not sure how you don't notice it, given if your standing in the back yard, you have to stop talking while the jet if flying over every 3-4 minutes. I live under one of the flight-paths to the island, and while you hear a plane go over, I've never had to stop talking while they do.

But I agree ... don't see any reason to complain ... all those homes post-date the airport.

You really don't notice it. 10 years living there, you just start tuning the sound out. Yes you speak louder when having dinner in the backyard, but it becomes so natural that you never notice it until someone from outside the area comes over and points it out.

Not only do the homes post-date the airport, but the areas are clearly marked with signs saying "High Aircraft Noise". You cant miss them.

I live at Creditview & Britannia, so it's not quite as bad as Mavis & Britannia, but we definitely noticed it when we moved here in 1994 from Mineola West.

I live near Mavis and Britannia as well and I think it is really loud. Sometime you can hear the aircraft from inside the house even though all the windows are closed. But overall inside is okay. Outside is a another matter.

Dufferin and Finch is in the normal flight path for landings/takeoffs at Pearson, but I wonder if the Air Show has altered things slightly and made that route busier than normal...

@allanc let us know what happens after Labour day
On Saturday (2010/09/18), there were 10 flights between 6:30 am and 6:50 am.
I think Sunday morning was quieter.

There are two east-west runways at LBP. When winds are from the west (which is most common) planes using the southern runway start their final decent from over the Yonge and Sheppard area. They generally either come directly in from the east or circle over the Yonge and Lawrence area from the south. Planes using the northern runway start their final decent from over the Dufferin and Steeles area with some planes circling to that point in from the north. This allows both runways to be used simultaneously. However if only the north runway is being used planes can circle in from either the north or south to the Dufferin and Streeles area. Planes circling in from the south would probably pass right over Dufferin and Finch. My guess is on the day in question the southern runway was closed for some reason so planes were circling in to the northern decent route from both the north and south sides.

Last edited:

Back