News   Apr 19, 2024
 144     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 558     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto and Buses/BRT

justin 10000: What "suburbs" do you speak of? I for one live in Scarborough.

With the "cutbacks" by the province I want to see an update based on the new "plans". It's a same Transit City is not really considering BRTs, although it's express route cover some problems well.

I agree that proper signalling is the most important issue to be addressed, the Spadina LRT is an example of bad planning.

With the "cutbacks" by the province I want to see an update based on the new "plans". It's a same Transit City is not really considering BRTs, although it's express route cover some problems well.
Seems to me that there are lots of plans for express buses and improved and faster bus service in Transit City. Like the Finch Rocket that is rumoured to start in a few weeks.

Buses are an afterthought in Transit City. The kind of bus improvements appended to Transit City years later were already being implemented. Express buses? TTC already has plenty. The only different is now they are part of Transit City. It is pretty weak plan anyways (there's no busway to connect the Mississauga Transitway to the York U and 407 Transitways, for example).

The only different is now they are part of Transit City. It is pretty weak plan anyways (there's no busway to connect the Mississauga Transitway to the York U and 407 Transitways, for example).
TTC shouldn't have anything to do with connecting the Mississauga transitway to 407 Transitway; that should either be Mississauga Transit, York Transit, Brampton Transit, or Metrolinx. As for the York U transitway ... it's only a temporary facility that will be replaced by subway in 2015. TTC has proposed building LRT directly from the end of the Mississauga Transitway to that subway.

Last edited:
I like what new york has been doing with bus rapid transit. Could learn a lot from there. A rendering below shows what a proper BRT could look like.

sbs10_rendering.jpg

http://blog.tstc.org/2009/05/18/city-seeking-input-on-next-phase-of-bus-rapid-transit-program/

I like what new york has been doing with bus rapid transit. Could learn a lot from there. A rendering below shows what a proper BRT could look like.

sbs10_rendering.jpg

http://blog.tstc.org/2009/05/18/city-seeking-input-on-next-phase-of-bus-rapid-transit-program/

The New York City Commissioner, is Janette Sadik-Khan. Her Department of Transporation implemented bicycle paths, bus lanes, and closed Times Square to cars and turned it over the pedestrian. She and her department is trying to other more pedestrian, bicycle, and environment incentives.

Toronto's Transportation Services seems to be very reluctant to do the same. For example, it is Transportation Services that has the powers to implement true transit signal priority on St. Clair, not the TTC.

TTC shouldn't have anything to do with connecting the Mississauga transitway to 403 Transitway; that should either be Mississauga Transit, York Transit, Brampton Transit, or Metrolinx. As for the York U transitway ... it's only a temporary facility that will be replaced by subway in 2015. TTC has proposed building LRT directly from the end of the Mississauga Transitway to that subway.

I said connecting the Mississauga Transitway to the 407 Transitway, not 403 Transitway (there is no such thing as a 403 Transiway). The connection would be entirely within Toronto's borders. For Toronto not to pay would be ridiculous, especially considering Toronto's ban on 905 and GO transit service within Troonto. But then again the TTC is only system in the GTA-H without plans to fully implement PRESTO, so who knows maybe the 905 will have take initiative on BRT as well.

I said connecting the Mississauga Transitway to the 407 Transitway, not 403 Transitway (there is no such thing as a 403 Transiway).
Noted. I fixed the typo in my post. I was referring to the 407 Transitway.

The connection would be entirely within Toronto's borders. For Toronto not to pay would be ridiculous, especially considering Toronto's ban on 905 and GO transit service within Troonto.
Am I missing something? None of the 407 is in Toronto, therefore a connection from the Mississauga Transitway to the 407 Transitway can't be entirely in Toronto's borders.

Looking at http://www.lgl.ca/407Transitway/stations.html the connections to the 407 Transitway would be down 427 to the airport and/or down 410/403. The latter is 100% not in City of Toronto, and the former doesn't seem to provide much service to those who live in Toronto. I'm not sure why TTC or City of Toronto would have much involvement.

sbs10_rendering.jpg

Very nice. I still prefer curbside for BRT though. Safer, easier to implement, and doesn't create chaos for left turns. I personally think that dedicated curbside bus/HOV lanes should be mandatory on every suburban road widening when it goes from 2 lanes to 4+ lanes.

Very nice. I still prefer curbside for BRT though. Safer, easier to implement, and doesn't create chaos for left turns. I personally think that dedicated curbside bus/HOV lanes should be mandatory on every suburban road widening when it goes from 2 lanes to 4+ lanes.

Do you have examples of curbside BRT? It sounds too much like diamond lanes to me, which depend on unreliable police enforcement. At the miminum, I would expect concrete barriers or bollards separating a curbside BRT lane from cars, so that:
- cars can never enter the BRT lane
- delivery trucks can't park in the BRT lane
- taxis can't idle in the BRT lane

Curbside BRT would seem to do the same thing to right-turns that median BRT would do to left-turns.

Riding Viva on Yonge north of Finch leaves me disenchanted with diamond lanes.

Back