News   Mar 28, 2024
 501     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

Julian Fantino: Tory candidate in Vaughan?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maurizio Bevilacqua has resigned and is likely to run for Mayor of Vaughan.

Bevilacqua, playing coy, refused to speak with the Star about his intentions.

“Right now, he’s not going to comment on any municipal election speculation,†said office assistant Michelle DeBuono.

In a cryptic statement recently to City Life Magazine, Bevilacqua said, “We will win more in the future (in Vaughan) than we have lost in the past.

“I am committed to being part of this journey that will take this city to places it’s never been before,†he added. “As for my future, I will continue to serve the people of Vaughan.â€

All this, one source said, is against the backdrop of a rumoured push to get former OPP commissioner Julian Fantino to run federally for the Conservatives in Bevilacqua’s riding. Fantino had earlier been touted as a candidate for the mayor’s job.

http://www.thestar.com/mobile/NEWS/article/851501

Hate to say it, but in a by-election I think Fantino would be able to take it easily. I don't think the Libs will be able to pull out a big name candidate and Fantino is a big enough name to go against the trend.

Lots of stuff about Fantino to discuss once he decides to run for office, like how he wanted a judge to step down because Fantino didn't like a comment made by this judge . Bring it on, he deserves his laundry to be aired in public like all other politicians.

Last edited:
It's confirmed.

Julian Fantino to run for Tories in Vaughan

ttawa Bureau

OTTAWA—Julian Fantino, for years Ontario’s best known and highest-ranking cop, will be the Conservative candidate in the Vaughan federal by-election when it’s called by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the Toronto Star has learned.

A senior government source said “he’s going for it, no doubt” — even as the Prime Minister’s office tried to douse expectations that the former Ontario Provincial Police commissioner was making the leap to federal politics.

“I was told it was a done deal,” another senior Conservative said.

----

Perfect, he'll fit right in in the Harpo imaginary-law and order agenda (build more prisons because of unreported crimes, add more pens as the violent crime rate drops).

It sounds like it will be a shoo-in for Fantino. From what I've heard, the Libs have been trying to find a high profile Italian Canadian to run - but they are turning it down because they think Fantino is unbeatable.

It sounds like it will be a shoo-in for Fantino. From what I've heard, the Libs have been trying to find a high profile Italian Canadian to run - but they are turning it down because they think Fantino is unbeatable.

Rocco Rossi. :D

When is the by-election going to be? Fantino winning would be disappointing, Vaughan hasn't gone Con for decades.

No offense to Rossi, but he hasn't exactly met with huge success in his run for Toronto mayor. On top of that, does he have any connections to Vaughan? (Not that I know of.) He may take a good lesson from John Tory and decide not to go around running for the sake of running. I actually hope we will hear again from Rossi, in some shape, as he does seem to have something to contribute, but this wouldn't be the place for him.

Fantino will be a strong candidate indeed, and will likely win. But to those pressing panic buttons, it's only one riding, after all.

No offense to Rossi, but he hasn't exactly met with huge success in his run for Toronto mayor. On top of that, does he have any connections to Vaughan? (Not that I know of.) He may take a good lesson from John Tory and decide not to go around running for the sake of running. I actually hope we will hear again from Rossi, in some shape, as he does seem to have something to contribute, but this wouldn't be the place for him.

No, he has no connections with Vaughan. I was being facetious in regards to Vaughan only electing Italians. Fantino running in another riding would be met with indifference and the Liberals won't put a non-Italian against him. The high profile ones (Sorbara, Bevilacqua) are either already employed or are about to be elected.

The Liberals have nominated Tony Genco. Genco was the Liberal candidate who was crushed by Al Palladini in the 1999 provincial election. It's true he may have been the victim of the Harris sweep of 905, but he doesn't sound particularly formidable.

That being said, it is Bevilacqua's city after all. I'm sure the Mayor-elect will pull some strings after being a staple in Vaughan

Fantino's popularity is astounding. Most people who are so demonstrably terrible at their jobs aren't well-liked. But with Fantino it's all "Yes, higher crime rates! More corruption! You're the best!"

Don Cherry backs Tory nominee Fantino in byelection

CBC hockey commentator Don Cherry is making automated phone calls endorsing former Ontario Provincial Police commissioner Julian Fantino, who is running for the Conservatives in a Toronto-area federal byelection.

Fantino is trying to claim the seat in Vaughan that was recently vacated by Liberal Maurizio Bevilacqua, who was elected mayor of the city just north of Toronto on Oct. 25.

Some Vaughan residents have received calls recorded by Cherry telling them why he thinks Fantino is the man for the job. Audio of the recording was posted on the website of Conservative blogger Stephen Taylor.

"Hi, it's Don Cherry. As you know, my good friend Julian Fantino is running in this election," Cherry, the colourful Coach's Corner analyst on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, says in the recording.

"There [are] not enough words to describe how much respect I have for Julian Fantino. He is honest, experienced and he's always there for the little guy. I know he would make an excellent member of Parliament. Thanks."

Text of an almost identical message was posted on Fantino's election site Sunday.

"Don is acting as a private citizen and is not acting or speaking on behalf of or associating his activity with either CBC or Hockey Night in Canada," said CBC spokesman Jeff Keay. "Nor is he a news or current affairs person."

Vaughan has been in Liberal hands for 22 years. There are seven candidates opposing Fantino in Vaughan, including:

* Liberal candidate Tony Genco.
* Kevin Bordian of the NDP.
* Claudia Rodriguez-Larrain under the Green Party of Canada banner.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/st...tino-byelection653.html?ref=rss#ixzz16KTnnxAy

Back