News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 636     0 

Best way from downtown to Vaughan in rush hour?

madmolecule

Member Bio
Reaction score
I live downtown and will have to make a trip to Vaughan (Hwy. 400 and Rutherford) during afternoon rush hour. Is there anyone who lives up that way, who could advise whether it'd be quicker to drive the Gardiner/427/401/400, or go through the city to the Allen Expressway/401/400? I'm aware of the construction on the Gardiner, so I thought this might possibly affect the choice. Thank you very much in advance!

Generally I would do the city streets route. Any combination of Bay/Spadina/Bathurst/Dupont/Davenport/Keele to Black Creek and 400 will do. You will find traffic EVERYWHERE so you just need to sit tight, used to take me just about an hour to get from downtown to 400 and 7.

Oh a secondary route would be along Avenue rd through Forrest Hill and onto the 401

I usually rent my car at Charles and Bay and do the davenport to weston to black creek to get out of the city....

Generally I would do the city streets route. Any combination of Bay/Spadina/Bathurst/Dupont/Davenport/Keele to Black Creek and 400 will do. You will find traffic EVERYWHERE so you just need to sit tight, used to take me just about an hour to get from downtown to 400 and 7.

Oh a secondary route would be along Avenue rd through Forrest Hill and onto the 401

Avenue is a bad route to take. There is construction all over it at the moment. Avoid it if you can. Do what GO buses do during rush hour. Take Keele!

I once took Jane St from the 400/Black Creek to Bloor during the afternoon rush hour and it was surprisingly smooth - all things considered. I recommended it to my brother for getting out of the Parkdale area during the afternoon rush and he said he was surprised how good it was. While I haven't taken Jane north during the afternoon rush, I have taken Keele and I am willing to bet that Jane is the way to go (not to mention that Black Creek from Weston to Lawrence can get pretty clogged up...).

Transit options can include taking an express YRT bus from Yorkdale, or the GO train to Rutherford and taking a bus from there.

While I haven't taken Jane north during the afternoon rush, I have taken Keele and I am willing to bet that Jane is the way to go (not to mention that Black Creek from Weston to Lawrence can get pretty clogged up...).

Somehow, I recall Jane being prone to clog-up btw/Lawrence and Wilson (i.e. the stretch that intersects Black Creek)

Take the subway to Downsview station and commute by car from there?

We don't know where the OP's car is before leaving dt. He/she may live dt and therefore their vehicle is dt, so subwaying up to Downsview to a non existant car at the station's parking lot is rather silly. Sure you could cab it I suppose but that would be one expensive cab ride.

Furthermore I've done the park at Downsview and subway deal and to be honest it's not that much quicker than commuting by car. Driving to Downsview and subway to St. Andrew would take me about an hour and 20 minutes while taking my car would take an hour and a half, maybe an hour and 40 minutes.

Harboard to Ossington to Davenport to Caladonia to Eglinton to Black Creek Dr. to Hwy. 400 ............

Back