News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     3 

American Apparel Going Bankrupt?

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
By Mae Anderson, The Associated Press
ADVERTISEMENT

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Troubled clothing chain American Apparel Inc. said Tuesday it might not have enough liquidity to sustain itself over the next year.

The news pushed shares down nearly 30 per cent to a fresh low.

The company also reported Tuesday a preliminary second-quarter loss. It expressed doubt about its ability to continue as a "going concern," standard language foreshadowing a possible bankruptcy.

American Apparel also said it might fall out of compliance with a credit agreement by Sept. 30. It is working with a lender to amend the agreement, but cautioned that without a reprieve, there may be a damaging financial chain reaction that could force the company to pay both credit lines immediately.

Known as much for its racy ads and outre behaviour of CEO Dov Charney as its inexpensive leggings and T-shirts, American Apparel has expanded rapidly since going public in 2007 and operates about 260 stores in 19 countries, including Canada.

For the quarter ended June 30, American Apparel expects a loss of US$5 million to $7 million, compared with a loss of $7.3 million in the second quarter.

It expects revenue to fall to US$132 million to $134 million, from $136.1 million last year.

Revenue in stores open at least one year fell 16 per cent in the quarter.

In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company said it expects losses from operations to continue through at least the third quarter.

American Apparel's auditor, Deloitte & Touche, resigned earlier this month and American Apparel hired back Marcum, its former auditor. American Apparel said its auditor needs more time to file its second-quarter results with the SEC and will file them "as soon as practicable," no later than Sept. 15.

Deloitte is reviewing earlier financial results to see if they may need to be restated.

Additionally, American Apparel, which is based in Los Angeles, also filed its first-quarter results with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Those earnings had been delayed and if they weren't filed by Monday, the company could have faced delisting.

For the quarter ended March 31, the net loss totalled US$42.8 million, or 60 cents per share, from $10.6 million, or 15 cents per share last year.

Revenue rose seven per cent to US$121.8 million.

The company's shares fell 36 cents, or 25.9 per cent, to close at US$1.03 Tuesday, earlier trading at a new low of 98 cents. The stock had traded between $1.14 and $3.95 over the past year.

The inevitable "Dov Charney caught with his pants down" yoks forthcoming...

No way man - I liked this chain just for the very fact that it got women dressing a bit more provocatively;)

This story has been kicking around the business papers for a while now.....the death watch has been ongoing and my teen daughter and her friends are worried that their fave clothing store is dying!

Those ads were brilliant. I think it was their over expansion into under-performing spaces (for example, I rarely saw customers in their College St location) and their idealism in keeping production in LA that ruined their competitive edge. Oh, and they lost their focus on t-shirts only trying to become a full line clothing company.

Often, I just picked up Now magazine to stare at those hotties on the back cover as I'd ride the grim ttc bus to work. :D

All hipster jokes aside, they expanded their stores too fast and they strayed into way too many product categories. Had they just stuck to a few major North American markets and remained faithful to clothing basics (T-shirts, underwear, socks) they'd probably be doing okay.

It was when they brought Sasha Grey aboard.

First American Apparel, then Entourage. Girl destroys everything she touches. Its likely some manner of tertiary syphilis thing.

Back