522     0 

Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters

Ansem

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pr...ntown_Rapid_Transit_Expansion_Study/index.jsp

The health and vitality of downtown Toronto is supported by, and depends on, an extensive transit network composed of:

•Longer-distance commuter rail services provided by GO Transit;

•The TTC subway system serving many short and medium length passenger trips and

•A network of surface streetcar and bus services providing more local travel to, and within, the downtown area.
Each of these transit modes is currently operating close to its maximum capacity at peak times, and congestion on the rapid transit network serving downtown Toronto is increasing.

The pattern of growth in travel into the downtown area for the past 25 years has been driven by two fundamental factors;

•A large increase in GO Rail passengers travelling from outside the City of Toronto to the major employment destinations in the downtown area;

•A very large increase in multiple unit residential units both within the downtown area, and immediately adjacent to the downtown, resulting in increased short trip making both by active transportation modes (walking/cycling) and shorter-distance transit trips. The large increase in downtown residential development has also lead to a substantial increase in off-peak direction travel at peak times from home locations in the downtown to employment destinations outside the downtown area.
In the past five years in particular, the TTC has implemented a range of programs that have significantly increased overall transit use in the City and capacity improvements to the existing rapid transit network are planned over the next several years.
Expanding rapid transit capacity is a critical element in ensuring the continued health and vitality of the downtown area. The improvements into the downtown area will assist in responding to future growth but there has been no comprehensive study of the adequacy of these current plans, or an assessment of additional opportunities to enhance rapid transit into the downtown.

Given the above, the purpose of the Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study (DRTES) is to:

1.Assess the need for additional rapid transit capacity to serve the downtown core given the capacity improvements already planned by TTC and GO and recognizing forecast land use and ridership scenarios;

2.Assess alternative strategies to accommodate the forecast demand including the costs and benefits associated with various scenarios composed of the following elements:

(a) The construction of new rapid transit lines such as the previously-proposed Downtown Rapid Transit (DRT) line;

(b) Expanded GO Rail capacity (including additional GO stations in the City of Toronto);

(c) Improvements in streetcar services to enhance shorter-distance transit accessibility in the downtown; and

(d) Fare, service and other policy initiatives to increase downtown transit ridership that may be appropriate.

3.If necessary, undertake the appropriate functional design and environmental assessment studies required to obtain approval for the construction of the recommended facilities.

The study will include public consultation and participation from interested stakeholders.

Further information will be posted here as the study continues.

Fascinating. I'm glad to hear it's finally being studied. While I voted for a new subway line downtown, I think that the most important project in the region is the expansion of the GO routes to frequent (at least every 20 mins) all day service with full fare integration with local transit. That could even play the role of the western DRL, at least or a certain while. The eastern DRL should definitely be built and would be a huge benefit to the city.

I voted others, because it should include not only the construction of new rapid transit lines (Downtown Rapid Transit line) but also improvements in streetcar services to enhance shorter-distance transit accessibility downtown. The DRL should provide express service with the streetcar lines providing local service.

I voted for the DRL, but I think they should all be implemented. (I didn't read the "Others" option carefully).

DRL: Obviously the biggest increase in capacity, provides more rapid transit, etc...

GO Upgrades: These are already underway. GO Transit's ridership has been growing.

Streetcar improvements. Very cheap, and would improve image of TTC. For example, on routes with high frequency, the focus should be keeping an even spacing, as opposed to keeping vehicles on time.

What? Because people would like other improvements as well as the DRL? Why do you people think everything has to be a confrontation, especially when nearly everyone agrees the DRL needs to be built, and as a subway?

I want the DRL, but it should not be seen as the only solution.

Great so now even the DRL debate can devolve to a LRT vs Subway pissing contest.
Uh ... how do you mean? LRT is of the table for the DRT (previously known as the DRL); it can't meet the projected demand. Based on the numbers that Metrolinx forecast, it's hard to imagine that the choice is anything but heavy-rail.

I'm an LRTista but I accidentally voted for the subway option even though I am part of a widespread conspiracy to ensure no subways are ever built in this city again.

It is amazing that so many people can't read:

Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Study means a detailed investigation and analysis of a subject or situation. It's an investigation and an analysis, not a design. It is from the study that we'll learn what options we may choose from, and then we may do the design.

Study means a detailed investigation and analysis of a subject or situation. It's an investigation and an analysis, not a design. It is from the study that we'll learn what options we may choose from, and then we may do the design.

Except that the "studies" that come out of the TTC tend to have made a decision before even doing any analysis, which is how we end up with a subway to Vaughan yet there "isn't sufficient demand" for a subway on Eglinton.

Except that the "studies" that come out of the TTC tend to have made a decision before even doing any analysis, which is how we end up with a subway to Vaughan yet there "isn't sufficient demand" for a subway on Eglinton.

Vaughan subway had a strong push from a specific Finance Minister who was not in the employ of the city and had a strong interest in continuing the project the Downsview extension started construction on. There is a good argument for having York U on a subway line. Going all the way to Vaughan for 2015 rather than a second phase completing in 2030 was a surprise to even York Region politicians.

The province over-extended though. That they paid for preliminary Yonge extension work (roughly $500M in prep for ATO) and haven't found funding for the Yonge extension is telling. Upcoming pre-election promise or will deficit woes make that difficult?

IMO, dumping GM stock as a small profit (theoretically possible if you believe recent financials) in exchange for 2/3rds Yonge extension funding would be a good trade. I'm of the opinion that the DRL cannot be funded for political reasons until after the Yonge extension is funded and under construction; especially if a penny pincher takes the Toronto Mayor seat and doesn't keep up transit spending initiatives.

Having once been a paid consultant hired by the TTC for a transportation study, I wholeheartedly agree. In the TTC's dictionary, the word study means "we'll pay you only if you support the plan that we've already decided upon."

Let's hope the TTC wants a DRL, and wants it to be a subway!

We need all three and we can and should do all three at the same time (aka the near future)...but I voted for the DRL...

As a downtown resident (when I'm in Toronto), i'm all for improving local streetcar services--they suck. The issue isn't with money, though, as Steve Munro has ably demonstrated. It's with route management. If the TTC actually forced its drivers to adhere to a set headway--at least when they left the terminal points--and penalized those that didn't, we'd see a massive service improvement without spending a dime. In fact, we'd probably be saving money since we wouldn't have the completely empty third and fourth streetcars in a pack.

As for the DRL, it should be one of the top transit priorities for the city right now, but it should be an integrated project designed to serve both regional needs (a quick ride downtown and a bypass to the overcrowded Yonge subway and Yonge/Bloor station) and local needs (high quality transit to the new high-density waterfront neighbourhoods). I think that the DRT really comes into its own when it's extended north of the Danforth. Past the Leaside Bridge, it can even run elevated. Don Mills will never be an "Avenue" and elevated lines can be quite compatible with its type of development--check out the Canada Line in Richmond. A subway on Don Mills would intercept bus riders from the east end and would take them off the Yonge line, doing more to relieve it than just about anything else. It would also dramatically shorten trip times for those riders and would serve a densely developed corridor with multiple major trip generators.

Vaughan subway had a strong push from a specific Finance Minister who was not in the employ of the city and had a strong interest in continuing the project the Downsview extension started construction on. There is a good argument for having York U on a subway line. Going all the way to Vaughan for 2015 rather than a second phase completing in 2030 was a surprise to even York Region politicians.

The province over-extended though. That they paid for preliminary Yonge extension work (roughly $500M in prep for ATO) and haven't found funding for the Yonge extension is telling. Upcoming pre-election promise or will deficit woes make that difficult?

IMO, dumping GM stock as a small profit (theoretically possible if you believe recent financials) in exchange for 2/3rds Yonge extension funding would be a good trade. I'm of the opinion that the DRL cannot be funded for political reasons until after the Yonge extension is funded and under construction; especially if a penny pincher takes the Toronto Mayor seat and doesn't keep up transit spending initiatives.

The fact that a subway into Vaughan was a higher priority for the TTC than the DRL quite frankly astounds me. I would have thought this to be more of a 1960s-70s planning mindset, not a 2000s planning mindset. And out of all the <8km suburban extensions the TTC could have done, VCC would have been pretty low on my list. I can think of at least 4 other more deserving extensions.

Last edited:

Back