211     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Europe's IQ Test

B

blixa442

Germans are brainiest (but at least we're smarter than the French)
By Helen Nugent

BRITAIN and France have experienced long periods of conflict and rivalry but now victory in one area can be claimed: Britons are more intelligent than the French.

A new European league of IQ scores has ranked the British in eighth place, well above the French, who were 19th. According to Richard Lynn of the University of Ulster, Britons have an average IQ of 100. The French scored 94. But it is not all good news. Top of the table were the Germans, with an IQ of 107. The British were also beaten by the Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Italy, Austria and Switzerland.

Professor Lynn, who caused controversy last year by claiming that men were more intelligent than women by about five IQ points on average, said that populations in the colder, more challenging environments of Northern Europe had developed larger brains than those in warmer climates further south. The average brain size in Northern and Central Europe is 1,320cc and in southeast Europe it is 1,312cc. “The early human beings in northerly areas had to survive during cold winters when there were no plant foods and they were forced to hunt big game,†he said. “The main environmental influence on IQ is diet, and people in southeast Europe would have had less of the proteins, minerals and vitamins provided by meat which are essential for brain development.â€

He added that differences in intelligence across Britain could be attributed to bright people moving to London over hundreds of years. Adults in England and Wales have an IQ of 100.5, higher than Ireland and Scotland, both with 97. People living in London and the South East average 102. “Once in the capital they have settled and reared children, and these children have inherited their high intelligence and transmitted it to further generations.â€

The pattern is repeated in other countries, Professor Lynn claimed. In France, IQ scores in Paris were much higher than those in rural areas.

Professor Lynn has spent three decades analysing thousands of test results to scrutinise the role of evolution in IQ. He has published his findings in a new book. Britons excel in another area of Professor Lynn’s research. He found that university students had, at 109, the second-highest undergraduate IQs in the world, beaten only by their US counterparts on 110.

Professor Lynn ascribes the differences between British and French intelligence levels to the results of military conflict. He described it as “a hitherto unrecognised law of history†that “the side with the higher IQ normally wins, unless they are hugely outnumbered, as Germany was after 1942â€.

A “normal†IQ ranges from 85 to 115 but exceptionally gifted people have scores starting at 145.

Here's the ranking:

107 Germany

107 Netherlands

106 Poland

104 Sweden

102 Italy

101 Austria

101 Switzerland

100 British Isles

100 Norway

99 Belgium

99 Denmark

99 Finland

98 Czech Republic

98 Hungary

98 Spain

97 Ireland

96 Russia

95 Greece

94 France

94 Bulgaria

94 Romania

90 Turkey

89 Serbia

www.timesonline.co.uk/art...19,00.html

I think it means smart people in Serbia have something better to do with their time than sit and take IQ tests.

If this were a valid study, a ten point difference in IQ is enormous.... I can't fathom that there would be that much of a difference.

I think it means smart people in Serbia have something better to do with their time than sit and take IQ tests.

I think it means that most sensible Serbians left the country.

Babel's English notebook: I had pheasant for lunch today at a small restaurant in Fakenham, Norfolk. There were five very small pellets embedded in the meat, which was probably shot locally. In the old days, people would have been exposed to lead poisoning if they'd swallowed lead shot - especially the dear, sweet little children. Perhaps that accounts for the slightly higher level of stupidity in the poll results for people who live outside London. Generations of eating lead shot can't be easy on the gene pool. As for the foreigners across the Channel, I was watching news coverage on TV last night about soccer hooligans, and it appears that the Poles are by far the worst offenders these days. The German police are tracking them closely, anticipating the chaos they'll try to create during the Big Soccer Thing this summer.

Generations of eating lead shot can't be easy on the gene pool.

Unless I misunderstand genetics and evolution, nothing you do in life matters for the gene pool other than procreating or failing to. I guess killing people affects the gene pool as well...

Exposing yourself to copious amounts of radiation then reproducing is probably also bad for the genepool, higher chance of mutations. Although, maybe more mutation is better in the long run... I'm not a biologist.

Radioactive bullets to take out a pheasant? Who's supplying them, Rumsfeld and Chenney?

I assume the pheasants were shot locally. When I lived in Norfolk for a couple of years in the late '70's they'd be hanging up, all feathery and pretty, outside the butcher shops in Wells-next-the-Sea where I lived.

Now Old Ma Babel and I are staying for a few days in King's Lynn Norfolk. George Vancouver ( 1757-98 ) was born here, and there is a statue to him just in front of the elegant little Neoclassical Custom House ( 1685 ) designed by local lad Henry Bell.

We're at the old Duke's Head, a once grand but now rather declining hotel that Bell probably also designed. Very 'World of Wooster' with a big lounge where you can read the newspapers and summon pots of tea and scones. The staff are mostly young Poles with incomprehensible English. There has been a huge influx of eastern European workers to Britain in the past few years. Trust House Forte owned the hotel in the '80's when it was more elegantly furnished and better run.

men smarter than women? northerners more capable than southerners?

this is all very victorian. i thought we did away with eugenics?

Don't confuse correlation with causation. I don't think that anyone is arguing that being German, or northern, or male causes someone to be smarter, but simply states that there currently is a corrleation between those things and the ability to... score well on IQ tests.

It seems to me that this study is probably flawed in some way. It almost has to be to explain the huge gap. Either the sample is too small or there is some sample bias/non-uniform selection procedure.

oh yes, i understand that this is all correlation. it always has been -- but that didn't stop legions of 19th and 20th century scientists, social theorists, politicians and average joes from making the leap to causation and concluding that certain groups of people were superior to others.

considering the well-known limitations of IQ tests and the obvious sample-size limits, you have to question what the validity of a half-baked study such as this really is.

Back