News   Mar 28, 2024
 59     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Dundas District High School condo redevelopment (Hamilton, Valvasori, 3s, Walsh)

Martin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Excerpt from the preliminary heritage assessment:
"The Dundas District High School was built in 1928 to the designs of the noted Hamilton architect William J. Walsh in the Collegiate Gothic style. Although the completed building was not as grand as the architect had originally envisioned (due to budget restrictions), it is nevertheless a well-proportioned substantial three-storey building clad in rug brick with fine carved stone detailing. The stone Gothic ornamentation includes pinnacles, gargoyles, decorative crests and door lintels that mark the entrance for girls on one side and boys on the other."

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/819670

Old Dundas school being transformed
44 loft-style condominiums planned for 2011

JEREMY GRIMALDI
The Hamilton Spectator

A closed school that has blighted an iconic stretch of small-town Ontario roadway for years finally has the go-ahead for redevelopment.

And, if all goes according to plan, the developer, Mike Valvasori, will start gutting the King Street West building -- formerly Dundas District School -- of asbestos this fall and begin converting it into 44 loft-style condominiums in 2011.

Valvasori, with his brother Dave, bought the site for $600,000 from the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board about a year ago and gained approval for the plan on July 8 when council unanimously accepted the proposal.

He said that step "all but finished" completing the processes needed so he can begin working on the lofts, which will start at $250,000, in September.

"This building is going to provide a great shell for the condos," he said. "It is in a great location with the waterfall on one side and the escarpment on the other. In the winter, you feel like you are in the Alps. There were hurdles, but we got a great price on the building and the location also makes it worth it."

Valvasori has already successfully completed the Allenby Lofts on Hunter Street West, the Margaret Street Lofts on the site of the former textile plant and the Stone Lofts, a former pulp and print factory behind the police station on Rebecca Street.

And it isn't just the developer who is excited.

Steve Robichaud, manager of development planning at city hall, said the city was happy to turn over the heritage building to someone with restoration experience.

"The city recognizes the importance of preserving and conserving heritage resources," he said.

"He has a record of working with historic buildings. It is nice to work with someone with expertise in these sorts of projects. He has a better understanding of what it takes."

Councillor Russ Powers, who attended the high school, said he was thrilled to see the building -- which dates from 1923 -- rejuvenated.

"This building holds a special place in my heart because I met my future wife there.

"I am thrilled to have Mike Valvasori, who is held in high regard in the development community, involved in this .

"I am particularly pleased that he is working with the community to preserve the building's heritage."

Valvasori believes some of the building's best features include six- and nine-metre ceilings in the auditorium and gymnasium as well as the former library.

He also said he is considering a request from Fern Lodge, a former student, who said in a letter to the local newspaper that part of the school -- which finally closed its doors in 2007 -- should be turned into a museum to ensure something "educational be put in the school's place."

jgrimaldi@thespec.com
905-526-3323

Great News

Although I guess it's not all that new, it's my first time hearing of this. Awesome!

I've spent nuff nights outback that school hoping to get a glimpse of that Janitor Ghost!

Here's some random youtube vid feat the school (pls excuse the terrible 80's-tv-action-show-action-montage music)

[video=youtube;JxgCvJTAWKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxgCvJTAWKg[/video]

Dundas District School

Here's some random youtube vid feat the school (pls excuse the terrible 80's-tv-action-show-action-montage music)

[video=youtube;JxgCvJTAWKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxgCvJTAWKg[/video]

FYI, this video was made by me and that so called terrible 80's action-show-action-montage music was made by none other then Bill Bruford formerly of Yes, King Crimson, Genesis and more. However, I do feel that more appropriate music to my video would have been better. I'd also like to know if I could get inside there before the lofts are built to take pics by my Spectral Review Paranormal Team.

Cheers,

-TSR

BTW,

Nice site you have here! I have a big love for the Historical buildings in Toronto as well! Always looking forward to Doors Open Toronto every year!

Cheers,

Mark

Back