Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
No details on this yet, just found this under 'planning applications' with the City.

Approval 10 228227 NNY 15 SA 3401 DUFFERIN ST Jul 26, 2010 --- --- Ward-15
North-District --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Yorkdale Shopping Mall - Proposed shopping centre expansion

Maybe it is part of the Lawrence-Allen Road revitalization project to improve pedestrian, bicycle, and transit access to the area. At the moment, the mall is cut off from Dufferin street by parking lots. Would be nice to see it expanded west to Dufferin Street with better walking access this time.

This is what i find so embarrasing about Yorkdale. I mean, it's a nice mall - and i tend to take out-of-town guests there to shop. But the area immediately around it... Dufferin et al. It's embarrasingly ugly! I know they're doing work on the Allen Rd side of things, but what about Dufferein?

Actually, now that Fairview has really improved their profile, it might be a better choice if looking for a nice mall in North York.

The've been working on the western wall near the Shoppers for a while now. That's the only side of the mall that hasn't seen major upgrades done yet, so that would seem like a good place for an expansion.

The Eaton Centre has parking for 1,300. Hidden away.
Hudson Bay Centre has parking for 1,200. Believe or not.
Square One has 8,450. That I believe.
Yorkdale Mall has 7,200. With the Spadina subway next to it and soon to be extended past Steeles, public transit can replace their supply of parking spaces. East-west transit into Yorkdale remains a problem.

With the Spadina subway next to it and soon to be extended past Steeles, public transit can replace their supply of parking spaces.
There is only one lot at Yorkdale that you're guaranteed to find a spot to park. The East lot. I doubt the extension is going to cut into that significantly.

East-west transit into Yorkdale remains a problem.
There isn't a east-west road close enough to Yorkdale. The 401 is the closest, and I'm not sure it's ideal for public transit.

Maybe it is part of the Lawrence-Allen Road revitalization project to improve pedestrian, bicycle, and transit access to the area. At the moment, the mall is cut off from Dufferin street by parking lots. Would be nice to see it expanded west to Dufferin Street with better walking access this time.

While Yorkdale is within the study area, this sounds like an unrelated application.

Yorkdale Mall has 7,200. With the Spadina subway next to it and soon to be extended past Steeles, public transit can replace their supply of parking spaces. East-west transit into Yorkdale remains a problem.

In my opinion, what they should do is convert the lot facing the 401 into a multi-level parking garage.
Then, close the lots which face Dufferin - and convert it all into retail (or "other") property, trying to allow for a large streetscape to make it more appealing to the eyes :p

In my opinion, what they should do is convert the lot facing the 401 into a multi-level parking garage.
Then, close the lots which face Dufferin - and convert it all into retail (or "other") property, trying to allow for a large streetscape to make it more appealing to the eyes :p

To the south end of Yorkdale Maill are the backyards to Glen Belle Crescent and Alcester Court. Highland Hill ends in a cul-de-sac before Yorkdale. Don't know if there is pedestrian access to the south at the moment, but if townhouses could be built backing into the backyards, the south side of Yorkdale could be converted into a more pedestrian friendly environment than it is now. The north side of Yorkdale is too automobile oriented that only a multi-level parking garage would be appropriate, except for better access to the 47B and 47C Lansdowne buses.

Let's face it..it's turning into a very tight sight that is hugely popular. And yes, eventually it will need more structured -- even underground parking -- as well as a vertical expansion.

I disagree. The mall has its own subway station. You can't fault it for not having perfect east-west transit connections too. The Wilson bus is just a stone's throw north of Yorkdale, one could easily switch to the Dufferin bus and wait the 4 stops or so it takes to arrive at the mall, or go right to Wilson station and ride the train one stop south right to the mall. Let's not nit-pick.

Back