News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 770     0 

Favourite Cities?

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
What are your favourite cities that you've visited and why?

I've only been to New York City and San Francisco and I loved them both. I really loved the density and the grit of New York City. With San Francisco, I loved the topography and the upscale feel that the city seemed to have.

What are your favourite cities?

London by far would be at the top of my list.

It has an excellent balance of history and modernism, great culture, sophistication, vibrant dense city, and English charm. The beautiful countryside is just a short train ride away.
If it wasn't so expensive, I would be living there.

2 favorite cities have got to be San Francisco and Barcelona. The Bay Area in general is a special place to me, but San Francisco proper is just amazing. Downtown is vibrant and interesting, it's got a lot of history compounded, and a lot of diversity. The simple built form of the city is great to me, and I think that's how suburban sprawl really should work.

Barcelona's just amazing.

Other cities I like: Paris (what's not to love?) Hong Kong (it makes density work very well, cities around the world should take note.)

London just didn't seem that special to me. I mean, it's way better than almost anywhere in North America, but apart from a couple districts and interesting tourist spots, it just seemed uninteresting. That said, I'm sure it's like Toronto in the sense that it may not be interesting to visit, but is amazing to live in.

That said, I'm sure it's like Toronto in the sense that it may not be interesting to visit, but is amazing to live in.

Every Londoner I've spoken with says the vice versa.

New York City. I love the never ending sights, sounds and smells of The Big Apple, it's a city that makes my pulse speed up and I feel so alive when I'm there. I've been going there regularly since about '83 or '84 when it was really edgy and frankly, pretty dodgy. I miss NYC of the 80's & early 90's but it's still my favorate big city travel destination in North America.

London tops my list. I've never been to New York but when you stand at the steps of the museum at Trafalgar Square and face south, you can't help but feel like you're pretty much at the epicentre of the Western world. There are few places in the world that don't have a relationship with London in some form simply because of the Empire. What's also great is that, while there is tons of history presented for visitors, there's an entire world of history that goes under the radar, including stuff that most places would champion as highlights. Combine that with some strong multi-culturalism which provides all sorts of different flavours and some of the idiosyncracies of the UK that I happen to enjoy and having gone there twice in the last 5 years I'd go back instantly, no problem.

I would say my current city right now - but I base my preferences on my stomach :p (Bangkok)

Been living mostly on "street food" for the last 3 weeks or so.... (Som Tam Thai Pet / Spicy Papaya Salad, Green Curry, Spicy Beef Stir fry, Noodles, Grilled Chicken, Deep Fried Chicken, etc. && Chang Beer / orange juice).

I feel like you need to narrow it down to a certain category or continent...

way too many amazing cities in the world.....
I wasn't a fan of London....
who isn't a fan of Paris and Barcelona?
STill need to go to florence and Rome, Prague? St Peter'sburg, Moscow?

Places I have been...
Party - Rio Dejenairo
Europe in the Americas - Buenos Aires
North America - Chicago (over NYC, maybe I'll change my mind if I get to SFO)
Asia - Haven't been to Thailand but Beijing? Yes, polluted, but so many historic sites, Shanghai -NYC of the east? Tokyo - So much crammed into so little.

Well, I have to agree with you on London (the curry mile is great though) - good city to visit - but did not like living there. I did like being able to zip over to Paris though.

I would rank Tokyo (visited maybe 5 times) over Shanghai (visited for 5 days) - but actually liked Fukuoka (visited 4 times) the most of Japanese large cities (4th or 5th in size - similar in density to Toronto). It was great visiting southern Japan - got to try things that you cannot get elsewhere like Bashimi (raw horse - tastes great if served fresh - only found it in Kumomoto fresh), and raw chicken "sashimi" (actually tastes great if your not fearing for your life - special farm/restaurant in rural Japanese areas in the south).

Liked Singapore (regularly visit - great food). Prefer Toronto (majority adult life) to Chicago. Chicago (a little less than a year) is a good next choice. Loved San Diego (11 months) - but could not afford to live there. San Francisco (a few months) is always a good place to visit/live - if you can afford it.

montreal, vancouver, chicago, n.y.c., barcelona, los angeles, san fransisco, san diego (pauses, takes breath) london, madrid, moscow, paris, and i feel obliged to say toronto (if i was visisting i'd be wowed, although it can get alittle boring to live in sometimes) oh yeah zurich aswell and geneva

My loose criteria for"favourite" - should be walkable (a small village could be just as appealing as a large urban city), cultural activities, nightlife, general sightseeing, and general personal security

In North America, other than Toronto, it would be NYC and Montreal with Miami & Vancouver coming close behind. Honourable mentions: I was blown away by downtown Philadelphia. Chicago is awesome!
In South America it would be Buenos Aires, Santiago and Brasilia (just for it's architecture)
In Europe it would be London, Paris, Amsterdam, Florence
In Asia it has to be Tokyo baby...with HK and Seoul close behind.

I ran away from Dallas, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Shenzhen as quick as I could.

I really want to visit L.A. simply because i have all these shallow impressions of its glamour and hollywood glitz. I want to take it in and get exposed to its numerous sub-cultures. I want to tour German cities and see Capetown one day...

Last edited:
San Francisco all the way !!!!! the landscape and Architecture is simply amazing , one day i will start a thread and post my vacation photos

Back