News   Mar 28, 2024
 569     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 871     0 

Toronto - Algonquin bus service

P

parkbus

Hello everyone!

After living in Toronto without a car for a few years, and being totally dependent on my friends to get outside and enjoy outdoors, my friend and I started this project we called Parkbus. With help from MEC & Ontario Parks, and with advice from Justin Lafontaine of Biketrain.ca, we have Toronto - Algonquin park pilot scheduled to start in July. I know it's not perfect, but I think it's a good start. It's a non-profit gig that we worked on at our own time after out full time jobs - we basically met with Algonquin's senior team, got their approval, and then convinced the bus company to try this out for a month. Our site is www.parkbus.ca

The point of this post is not really to promote it, but to hear some opinions. What do you guys think? What can we do to make it better/more attractive project? What do you think are the best venues for promotion on a budget? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :D

$94.92 roundtrip seems quite expensive. Compared to the bike-train to North Bay ($171.76), which won't get stuck in traffic on the way back. Or a minivan rental ($265.55 per week) that'd cost less if you had 3 or more people.

I think you've found a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist unless you like camping by yourself.

Mapleson, I do not agree that it's a problem that does not exist - there are over 1 million GTA residents without cars in their household according to StatsCanada, and not all of them can drive even if they would rent. Plus we get thousands of tourists from Europe and elsewhere, that never drove in their lives because public transport in their countries is so good. Finally, simply knowing that people do use Ontario Northland to Huntsville bus and then Huntsville to Algonquin private shuttle, which all costs $180+HST per person, reinforces the fact that there needs to be a better option.

I thank you for the honest opinion though.

I once took Ontario Northland to Parry Sound to access Massassauga Provincial Park because I did not see the point in renting a vehicle to have it sit in a lot for a week while I canoed in the backcountry. A camping bus to Algonquin is a great idea and I hope that it is successful.

I think it sounds like a great idea, and kudos to you for working to make it happen. I like how the website works, and I like your variety of options. Best of luck with it, and keep us posted how it goes. Marketing is going to be a big factor in your ultimate success -- you've got to let folks know you exist.

That $180 cost is why I've always rented to go camping. I don't want the mileage on my own vehicle, and unfortunately public transit isn't price competetive.

When I was under 25 and couldn't rent a car, I was one of the ones on the trip that would chip in for gas. Never in my life has it happened that we've planned to go camping as a group and private vehicles were not available. I've never gone camping as a solo effort, nor have I encountered many solo campers.

I'm sure if you run a limited service it'll be packed, but what level of participation are you anticipating? 6,000 people per week? per day?

Wouldn't a carpooling site, where campers without cars could meet campers with cars and share costs be more cost effective? Wouldn't an "accreditation system" lessen peoples fear of strangers?

Ignoring all that, if you gave group discounts, people would be more inclided to use the service in groups. A good source of low cost advertisement would be a road sign near the park enterance to inform people of the alternative, the price, and where to get information.

Last edited:
The trouble I have with this is that Algonquin is such an amorphous, decentred destination, i.e. devoid of any real knock'em-dead townsites or vacation nucleii a la Banff, Jasper, et al. It's really...God's country: drive through without any intent for hardcore camping or canoeing, and you wonder what the fuss is all about.

I mean, it's a destination, all right. But a "bus travel" destination? You'd almost have to toss Huntsville or something into it for added incentive...

I've been quite a few times for hiking -- not hardcore stuff. I stay at a nice resort, eat well, don't sleep in a tent and go for a hike. You can also mountain bike or go less adventurous and bike an old rail path. There's an art gallery and a logging museum. Not everyone's cup of tea but I find it a terrific couple of days of R&R.

There was a time that the railways did provide passenger service to the park.

JPS_PC_AlgonquinPark04.jpg

But that service slowly disappeared, so that we only have hiking trails that used to be the railway beds.

biking.jpg

This is a great idea! I will absolutely use the service if the schedule is expanded beyond July. The stops listed are definitely the right ones. It's always been easy to bus to Huntsville, but getting into the Park itself has been a challenge.

I love this idea! We are a family of 3 without our own car (we use Autoshare) and we would actually pay more to take this bus over driving, not only for environmental reasons, but because our 3yo son hates being strapped into a carseat, but is happy to sit on a bus or train for a long trip.

I like the website, very clearly laid out. For us, the options of either getting dropped off at a campground or at the outfitters for a canoe trip fit our needs perfectly. And we live a stone's throw from Dufferin Mall.

Unfortunately we have already made our summer plans so will not likely be able to do this trip this summer, but we would definitely plan for next summer if the service continues. I suspect this kind of new service will take at least a season to get on everyone's radar.

I like the suggestion of posting signs in the park (drivers leaving the park see the sign and make a mental note that they can take the bus next time). I am going to post the link on my facebook page right now.

Good luck!

I've seen your posters along College Street.

Can I ask how you are marketing to tourists? Make sure the hotel concierges know about your bus service!

I love this idea! We are a family of 3 without our own car (we use Autoshare) and we would actually pay more to take this bus over driving, not only for environmental reasons, but because our 3yo son hates being strapped into a carseat, but is happy to sit on a bus or train for a long trip.
Great parenting! Let the 3 year old decide if he's safe. My step-mother used to ride around with my half-brother in her arms as a baby instead of in a car seat. Don't you realise your children are fine until they aren't, and they it's too late? 74% of toddler infants are preventable. Please don't let your child be another statistic.

Can I ask how you are marketing to tourists? Make sure the hotel concierges know about your bus service!
The 8 airports and Niagara Region are great places for brochures. Have you spoken to Ontario Tourism about being listed on the Central Region transportation list? To Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation about being in some of the FREE Travel Guides?

Hamilton: John C. Monroe International Airport
London: London International Airport
Ottawa: McDonald-Cartier International Airport
Sudbury: Sudbury International Airport
Thunder Bay: Thunder Bay International Airport
Toronto: Lester B. Pearson International Airport
Toronto: Toronto City Centre Airport
Windsor: Windsor International Airport

LOL. Sorry, 74% of toddler severe injuries and deaths in Canada are preventable by the use of proper restraint systems.

Back